What effect does 'Apostate Pressure' have on the bOrg?

by AK - Jeff 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

GB turning gay...
    Already did that - http://www.freeminds.org/bethel/homosexuality_bethel.htm

Leo Greenlees

Governing Body member Leo K. Greenlees was forced to resign and leave Bethel in late 1984. He entered the Toronto, Canada Bethel in 1936, eventually becoming treasurer of the Canadian branch and of the IBSA of Canada. In 1964 he went to Brooklyn Bethel, and in 1965 was elected as a director of the Society's New York corporation. As a director Greenlees automatically became a "governing body" member when that body was formally instituted in 1971. He often spoke at Gilead graduations, and was the concluding speaker for the day at the Watchtower Centennial business meeting at Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on October 6, 1984. A 1982 Watchtower mentions him as being on the Teaching Committee of the Governing Body. Greenlees' last mention in Watchtower publications is in the December 1, 1984 Watchtower where he is said to have passed out diplomas at the September Gilead graduation. In late 1984, Greenlees was allegedly convicted by the rest of the Governing Body of molesting a ten year old boy. The boy's parents had complained to the Society and it took action. Greenlees was a friend of the family and often visited them. After leaving Bethel Greenlees served as a Special Pioneer and eventually an elder in the "Downtown" congregation in New Orleans, Louisiana. He died in the late 1980s. Interestingly, the boy who Greenlees molested applied for Bethel service a few years later, around 1991, and was rejected. Watchtower leaders apparently feared that other Bethelites would tell him the 'rumors' about Greenlees, not knowing that he was Greenlees' victim, and cause the young man to know that justice had not been done. He might then have confirmed the rumors
    Percy Chapman

Percy Chapman was another member of Bethel accused of being homosexual. It was alleged that Chapman was a one-time lover of GB member Leo Greenlees. In 1959, under hint of homosexual scandal, Knorr went to Canada to replace Chapman, who was the Canadian Branch overseer. Knorr demoted Chapman to janitor, but let him remain at Toronto Bethel--on condition he marry. According to Larry D., a Toronto former JW, "Percy ... was totally anti-marriage and he made sure that none of the "Bethel boys" even contemplated the subject ...." Larry described the Bethel boys of the 1950s. "They were all young and handsome, hand-picked by Percy Chapman; there was even an elite group known as 'Percy's boys' who would accompany him to expensive restaurants and bars ... at the time, Bethel was on Irwin Avenue in the center of the gay district of Toronto. There was even a Kingdom Hall above 'The Parkside,' one of Toronto's few gay bars in the fifties and sixties." After Chapman's disgrace, Larry, who personally knew Greenlees, wrote, "Poor Leo Greenlees, Percy's close companion for three decades ... had to find himself a new roommate. ... He was very open about his homosexuality to those few good-looking young brothers .... He would bring along another Bethel boy, Lorne Bridle, who was very good looking and charming." Regardless of his dubious relationship with Chapman, Greenlees became Treasurer of WTB&TS and one of the Governing Body. According to Larry, "He managed to escape the witch hunt at Brooklyn Bethel in the early seventies when dozens of Bethel boys were disfellowshipped after learning of their midnight trysts in the sauna in Brooklyn Bethel."

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

yes Jeff. the pressure is hurting the wt more than they let on too. little things like yuor xmas card have effect. every time and x jw talks to an active jw or friend has effects. my few jw family pressured me all my life. till i exp;osed them and every jw elder they could find as false teacher and wt zombies. now they run as soon as they see me. because they know i will twist them in knots in 5 minutes. yes the pressure works it just takes time. you never know who your message is getting to. if the ratio is 1in 50 that will learn something from your personal pressure. then try to talk to 5000 jw's a year. happy hunting . john

• Carmel
    Carmel

How much longer can the Berlin wall stand? Likely it will only collapse when all totalitarian governments collapse....oh,, you mean it already happened? Must not be any more evil dictatorships in the world then!! carmel

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I have this list of things I care about, it's about fifty deep, and honestly it has only just occurred to me that 'topple WBTS' isn't on it. 'Protect child victims' is, but every other sucker in there is there by choice. Ill-informed choice to be sure, but nobody is holding a gun to their head to force them to meetings.

If I happen upon somebody who needs support while exiting I fall over myself doing whatever I can for them, but the rest... no. My own family would prefer that I'd taken my own life than if I had been disfellowshipped. I have no concern at all for the emotional and spiritual welfare of these loveless spitoons. I'm also convinced that WBTS has far more $$ and deluded self-abandonment behind it than anybody who ever got out, and they're not going to be 'toppled', not in our lifetime anyway. The good thing is that I don't care. Everybody has the right to live their life and follow whatever stupid beliefs take their fancy. I think a lot of people who come here would be better off concerning themselves less with the thing they've left behind, and more with what's to come in their lives. I see sites like these as a haven for individuals for the time they need to lick their wounds and move on, but I hope that people do move on.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

There are a lot of things in my opinion that can affect the Watchtower Society and in the arsenal is something that I feel can help individuals 'see the light' so-to-speak, and that is prayer!

The Society, because it is 'Satanic' is not easily 'toppled' by us mere humans, but God can certainly do it in his own time. However, we can use prayer to help ones in our respective lives to come out. I know, as many I have prayed about have had their eyes opened. I know that many who are not believers might not agree with this, and that is okay, but that is my opinion.

Regardless, we all want to see the Governing Body 'squirm' a little, for how they have affected many families, and the light of information has to be troubling to them and their 'neat' little business scam they got going.

Outaservice

PS Believe it or not, the one thing that got me 'started' thinking something was amiss, was hour/and assembly talks had to be given 'word for word' off a prepared manuscript supplied by the Society. No need for individual Elders to study or anything, and they wern't trusted to speak anything they personally learned by study. We used to laugh at Ministers of the Churches who bought sermons to be read, but what's the difference? Ours were just supplied 'free'!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit