What effect does 'Apostate Pressure' have on the bOrg?

by AK - Jeff 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

All good points. I believe that the media is having a huge impact, especailly on the pedo cases. Personally, I've always had doubts about various things, but nothing that would have lead to me leaving or even researching sites such as this one. However, the media exposure about pedo cases and me doing other news searches which lead me to the UN thing was the tipping point for me. I thought, if the "apostates" were right about these two things, what else are they right about? After all, truth can withstand anything. The problem is that the WTS isn't teaching the truth and thus many of its doctrines (especially the key 1914) fall by the wayside.

I think the religion will eventually fade as a footnote in religious history, but I doubt any of us see it. But, what we will see is the continued, steady decline as older loyal members die off and very few new recruits come in. But, the pressure can really help those in the 30-60 year range escape. That may hasten the decline since the majority of those in local leadership are in that age cateogry.

• mzliz
    mzliz

I don't think it makes a HUGE impact. I say this because I think if they feel any pressure it boosts the "oh good, sign of the times, end is close at hand keep doing what we are doing" mantra.

My sister just invited me to her assembly last week, she said i might hear something i liked. I told her I listened for about 20 years and heard nothing, so sorry no go. She said what she is really enjoying about assemblies these days is that the GB isn't leaving much to your conscience anymore, not a lot of grey areas, they are telling people exactly what to do in situations. She feels a great relief. less thinking for her. for those deep into it i think pressure is what they thrive on. I didn't leave beacuse of the internet, but the internet is helping me now find out a lot of reasons why my gut instinct was correct.

• sspo
    sspo

Even though there are lurkers it's a small number in comparison to happy witnesses.

The media would definetely make an impact if there were more scandals in the organization.

Even child abuse is not enough, usually a story is on the news for a couple of days and then it fades.

We need something big

Governing Body turning gay, that would make the Dubs think twice about them being FDS

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

My initial post was not specific, as intended. It was general. I find it interesting that the majority of posters have commented on the effect this pressure has on the R&F.

My opinion [and $1 will buy you a cup of coffee] is that the pressure I refer to - pickets, letters to the R&F, in particular, is felt and reacted to by 'middle management' more than the R&F. Let me explain;

This week I posted a nice Xmas card on the door of the KH here, the contents are posted at;

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/125246/1.ashx

I have no illusion that this card will help any individual to see the 'truth about the truth'. But it may in the long run contribute, not by impacting the thinking of the person who reads it - though that is possible and desirable if it happens.

No - my opinion is that the middle managers, either seeing the card, or hearing of it, will react to it. The elders and CO's strongly believe they are missioned to 'shepherd the flock and protect it' from people like me or other apostates. They will on the local level, react with local needs parts, clamp down on service, meeting attendance, etc. In short, the will intrude even further into the business of members of the congo. In so doing - some, or someone[s], will get toes trampled, feelings hurt, or angry over said intrusions. Doubters so affected may then begin to doubt more that the elder's have no real interest in them, but only wish to control them. SUch may lead to them finally allowing themselves freedom enough to look at 'apostate' information, here or somewhere. Thus leading, perhaps in some cases, years from now, to exit from the borg.

So in an effort to 'protect' the flock - most elders will only do what most elders know - that is - 'control the flock'. This leads to eventual discouragement over never doing enough to please them, or anger over intrusive actions taken, or in the rare case to someone asking 'just what the hell don't they want us to know? What are they afraid of?'

In turn - as some more leave - the Upper management does what they know to do - apply even more pressure, shepherd even harder, demand even more.

The converse reaction would be to ease up - I don't expect that - and if they did it would also aid some to begin boldly to look into matters that have troubled them for some time, perhaps here on the internet. A face on attack on the infantry often opens up the flanks. When the generals don't know how to run the battle, they often loose troops out the rear as they desert rather than face pressure from both sides.

Jeff

• tan
    tan
    "Apostate" information, websites, etc., did not influence me to leave. The actionsn of the WTS and its representatives convinced me that they were not God's organization.

The actions of the so called JW's influenced me the most and that it happened just in one congregation but that it was occuring in other congregations. The fakeness of the people effected a lot too.

• M.J.
    M.J.

I really like your thinking there, Jeff. Makes very good sense.

I was going to add that I really do believe that the constant scrutiny the WTS is under DOES have a big hand in shaping their actions and policies.

For example, take the fact that the WTS no longer introduces the concept of the "faithful discreet slave" in the initial study, do to all the negative publicity regarding it.

JW spokespeople and PR statements dance around the "hotbutton" issues, such as, whether or not one must be in the org to merit salvation.

WTS lawyers carefully scrutinize policy and publications. The WTS is scared away from introducing any drastic doctrinal changes. The WTS for the most part seems like they are writing with the apostate reaction in mind.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    WTS lawyers carefully scrutinize policy and publications. The WTS is scared away from not introducing any drastic doctrinal changes. The WTS for the most part seems like they are writing with the apostate reaction in mind.

Good point, MJ. This leads to a bland, emotionless style of writing, in an organization that has always needed drama and urgent suspense to maintain it's control. All good.

Jeff

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

When I was a JW .. not long ago ... they would read letters that addressed problems I never knew existed (like the one they read about the pedofile thing) .. Those letters made me ask questions about what was going on that I didn't know about. That pressure on the headquarters to print those letters must be doing some good.

• mouthy
    mouthy

because they were mad apostates

Well!!! Ruddy nerve !! that was ME your calling mad Picketing has done so much for so many!!!! David Reed who has written many books came out from a picket sign ( the sign said read your bible) Penny his wife said ....Stupid we do read our bible then after they discussed it they started to read the bible apart from the WT.... Then Bill Cetnar came out from Walter Martin outside Bethel ..... What about Uzziah on this board..... He came out after chucking ME off the property of the Skydome while we were picketing ---maybe that didnt actually do the job of getting him free but he loves me now So my answer is Yes they have an effect.Come to Pennsylvania Convention & hear how many came free from US WICKED MAD apostates

• metatron
    metatron

I spoke with a long term Bethelite some years ago. He told me that they feel the pressure from opposers as a

collection of people always out to get them or expose any misstep or mistake. They feel they are being watched

with negative intent, ready to pounce on anything to be exploited.

I felt very encouraged.

metatron

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit