What Does YOUR Town Do?

by Sunspot 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

My hubby, our grandson, our son, and me.... took a trip down to Syracuse to see the "Lights On The Lake" display. I had never seen it before. It is two miles of road through a park along Onondaga Lake, and it is CRAMMED with all kinds of lighted exhibits with every imaginable Christmas Creature and every possible theme (and then some) included! There were even Menorahs and displays for Hannukkah! It was quite spectacular to see.

We were greeted by a cute upright reindeer who was handing out gift bags of candy and a few other things given on behalf of the local businesses and agencies who are sponsoring some of these beautiful displays. As old as I am, I was caught right up in the spirit of things, and waved right back at the reindeer and the Santa who were waving at all the cars coming in. I could barely sit still with excitement as we could see the span of all the lights in front of us to yet stop to look at!

The figures were everything from whimsical to religious, and were really something to SEE. Hubby was snapping pictures throughout the "trip", but none of them came out very well because they were all taken from a moving car. They were just blurry enough not to look good enough to post.

Soooo, I was sitting here wondering what YOUR town or city does in the way of some special decoration for the Christmas/ Holiday Season?

hugs,

Annie

• changtech
    changtech

Oh that sounds really nice! I live about an hour from syracuse, maybe I'll check that out!

If you're interested in more stuff, Skaneatles (spelling?) has really good Christmas events all month!

• lawrence
    lawrence

In Atlanta the muggings and car jackings increase during the Holiday Season. The town spews crap into the air, and the rich folks leave and go anywhere. As far as prayer, the preachers prey on everyone equally. Most Santas are packing pieces, so they can bust a cap up a punk's ass. No quarter even on Jesus' supposed b-day.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

They light up the park around Lake Seminole, They had a parade down the main street. Tampa Bay Florida is pretty well lit up. Their is a street two streets north of mine that every neighbor gos all out on their display, Cars are backed up all night to view the spectacle. Our street is pretty well decorated but nothing special.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

This satruday is our town's "Victorian Walk ". The streets leading into town are lit by illuminaries (candles in paper sacks ) put out by volunteers . The downtown section has Live scenes being depicted in the store front windows of Victorian living . Roasted chestnuts are sold on the street as well as Kettle corn . Carolers from the schools roam into the shops singing, a Madrigal play is put on in the Theatre. All the churches have chili suppers or cookie walks going on. There are horse and buggy rides through the downtown area to the city park. With the snow we just had it should look really beautiful . The trees on State street are already lit . The shop I work at will be busy all night , I will be selling fudge all night behind the fudge counter . If your in town come and see me , and I'll give you a free sample of fudge !

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

I live in a small town, so it's a modest Christmas display. A comittee set up a tree, maybe 8 feet tall, on one of the street corners, and local merchants are invited to put ornaments on it. It looked pretty thin, so I went out last night and added a few. The city strings some lights in the downtown area (which is a two-block section of Front Street) and each business hangs what decorations they want in their windows. I've got a small Yule tree in my window, to honor my Pagan Druid ancestors- it keeps getting mistaken for a Christmas tree, but I don't mind. I also have a few Christmas decorations around the shop, some glittery Star of David garlands strung up for Hannukah, and lots of lights across the front of the store- blue and white, so they could be for Xmas or Hannukah. Also a few Pentagrams for the Wiccans. It's pretty, and so far there have been nothing but positive remarks.

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

We missed ours! The kids were too sick to go, but a nearby town had a parade and Santa and the tree lighting in the old downtown historic area. It is a quaint little town with some antique and boutique shops. A nice place to take the kids. Maybe next year. The elementary school had a Santa come after school hours to do professional photos. We took them to that and I think it was more special than waiting in line at the mall for their 1st photos. Hubby heard from a guy at work that there is an amazing light display in the (rich) subdivision where he lives. They even are supposed to have mr and mrs clause come by. So we have to drive through that soon.

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

Troubled Mind---where is this enchanting town? Kitten Whiskers (if you don't mind)

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Our city council seem to have gone to town this year. They always put up some xmas lights and a tree, but this year there are a lot more than usual. I haven't took a close look yet, as I've been ill recently, but from the brief glance I took the other night, it looks pretty spectacular.

• BCZAR2ME
    BCZAR2ME

A Christmas tree fell off the back of a truck once. That's about as festive as it gets in these parts.

bczar

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit