Gods Name

by lfcviking 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• lfcviking
    lfcviking

Hello Everyone

I've often wondered about God's name 'Jehovah' or 'Yahweh', why is it that these are the only two acceptable translations of the tetragrammaton "YHWH" translated from the four Hebrew Consonants? Why is it that the society only implants the vowels that make the words 'Jehovah' i.e(e,o and a) or 'Yahweh' (a and e)? Surely the tetragrammaton can be pronounced several different ways with a mixture of different vowels. Also since the Jews claimed the original holy name was to sacred to be mentioned among the people the exact pronnunciation of it became lost. So how can we be sure that Jehovah or Yahweh are correct renderings of the original name?

LFCViking

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

hovah in Hebrew refers to mischief

-------------------------------------------------

Witnesses of the mischief

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Vowels are not simply added at random. "Yahweh" rests on ancient transliterations in Greek (in which vowels are written), such as Iabè, Iaouè, Iabai or Iaouai (the Greek b and ou standing for the same consonant w, è and ai for the same vowel -- approximately "ea" in "bread"). There are a few other attested forms but they rather stand for abbreviations (e.g. Iaô for yhw), not for the full tetragrammaton yhwh. All other suggestions are purely conjectural.

• Kaput
    Kaput

hovah in Hebrew refers to mischief

And Jah is God. You do the math.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

There have been other suggestions such as Yahuweh

see http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/Jehovah.htm for more details.

What is important to know is that YHWH did not appear in the New Testament (it is dishonestly added by the NWT). As it was not used by the Christian writers it is really irrelevant how the Jews pronounced Gods name as we are to refer to him as Father.

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

I've seen the name Jahoober in several esteemed journals. Also Jeehover, Jeehoober and of course Yahoover which led to the developement of a very successful web browser.

• bobld
    bobld

If a name is so important why do we always call our parents

by MOM OR DAD.Why do we teach our young childern their

first words MOM/DAD.Even after our parents are dead we still

refer to them as MOM/DAD.Have you ever heard a little boy/girl

call out. Hay Mr.Mary SMITH.So why not call Jesus Christ/Jehovah

as God/Lord.

• kid-A
    kid-A

"JEHOOBIE"

tee hee!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

jwfacts

There have been other suggestions such as Yahuweh

Got any sources for that?

I find it strange because the w in Yhwh can be either read as a consonant, w, or as a mater lectionis for the vowel u, but not both.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I have taken that from a Nazarene Jew. Nazarenes and the Name of YHWH by James Trimm at http://www.nazarene.net/_halacha/Nazarenes_and_the_name.html "Now transliterating the name of YHWH into Greek is not easy. This is because certain Hebrew letters/sounds do not occur in Greek. Among these are the letters YUD (Y); HEY (H) and VAV (W) the very letters which make up the name in Hebrew. When transliterating these letters into Greek substitutions are made. Consistantly the Hebrew letter YUD (Y) is transliterated into Greek as IOTA (I). Thus all of our Greek witnesses agree that YHWH begins with YA. The next letter HEY (H) is impossible to write in Greek. Some of the Greek sources have attempted to transliterate it with OMEGA (which I have transliterated with a "w" and which is pronounced "o" as in "no." Origin has tried to use ETA for this letter (I have transliterated it with an "h"). ETA as a character descends from the Paleo-Hebrew HEY but is pronounced "ey" as in "they." Clement and the Greek Papyri agree that the next vowel is "oo" as in "zoo." Clement gives the final syllable as "E" and the Greek Papyri has "hE" which agrees with a Hebrew termination of "-eh" Thus it is evident that the Greek transliterations are consistent with a Hebrew pronounciation of "YAHUWEH." It is clear when examining the many sources that the pronounciation of YHWH can be recovered as YAHUWEH sometimes abbreviated as YAHWEH, YAHU or YAH. This is attested to by the Yahwitic names of the Masoretic text, the Peshitta Aramaic and the Marashu texts. The true pronounciation of YHWH is also preserved in ancient transliterations of the name written in Egyptian Hieroglyphics, cuneiform and Greek, all of which had written vowels." I don't know how accurate his reasoning is though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit