Kidney problems--I'm worried

by Junction-Guy 28 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Well for the past few years I have checked my urine at work ( I work in a medical division of a jail) and I have had intermittent protein in my urine (proteinuria), whenever I would see my doctor he would check my urine, and strangely enough it wasnt showing. Well 2 weeks ago I went to my doctor and he did find protein in my urine this time, he sent me for an ultrasound of my kidneys and bladder this week, but I havent gotten the results back yet, in fact I was too worried to even call the doctor today. I have researched kidney problems and Im worried something is majorly wrong with my kidneys. The doctor has also ordered me to take a 24 hour urine collection test. I also have some Ketones in my urine, but Im not a diabetic, also some biliruibin, but Im assuming my liver function bloodwork came back normal. Has anyone here had kidney problems? Im worrried sick about this. Dave

• mimimimi
    mimimimi

I don't have kidney problems, but I have done transcription for a nephrology (kidney) group for the last nine and a half years. Are you diabetic? Diabetics very often have proteinuria.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

OK, from a nurse to you.....don't worry too much yet. Wait till everything is in. Could be ALOT of reason why you have those results!!

shell

• juni
    juni

Hi Dave,

It's always scary when things don't come back normal. It's better to know so you can treat the problem. Perhaps you're taking some kind of med that affects the kidneys?

Juni

Thanks for comforting Dave Shelley. You're right.

• mimimimi
    mimimimi

Shelley is right. It could be a lot of things and can be very correctable. And the fact that it does not show up all the time is good. It could even be caused by working out a lot for a body builder, especially if they are using a protein supplement, and could be considered in a normal range depending upon lean body mass.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Dave - I don't know anything, but to say that I hope and wish you the best. You have seemed over the years I've been here to be one who puts his mouth were his mouth is - going and protesting the WT lies for example. I just wanted to say that I noticed that about you. My bet to your test results.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Thanks guys, well Diabetes does run in my family, however i have always checked my blood sugars, and I have never had glucose in my urine, so diabetes is doubtful. I dont overexercise, and as for the meds, I believe my doctor would have told me if my current medications cause proteinuria. Im kinda stumped and worried at the same time. I started having high blood pressure back in 2003, but my doctor seems to think my blood pressure is fine because its always normal at the doctors office. I believe there are many times when my blood pressure is elevated. High blood pressure can cause kidney disease and vice versa. Today Im doing the 24 hour urine collection in a jug, and tomorrow I will drop it off at the hospital lab. Someone today told me that kidney stones can also cause proteinuria, but I am experiencing no pain in my kidneys. Im gonna call the doctor on monday and find out the results to my ultrasound.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

YEPPERS!! Kidney stones can cause that!! Be positive till then!! Let us know!!

• mimimimi
    mimimimi

Having an upper respiratory infection can also cause protein spillage in the urine sometimes. This is transient.

• exwitless
    exwitless

It sounds like there could be some metabolic problem going on. Ketones can occur during a "starvation" mode. You may not literally be starving, but have you been dieting? It can occur if you've been sick and not eating as well. I'm not convinced you don't have diabetes, though. You say you always check your blood sugars-how? Fasting blood sugars are helpful but don't always catch diabetes, because naturally your blood sugar will be lower after you haven't eaten for a while. A glucose tolerance test is the best way to see how your body actually deals with increased blood sugar levels immediately after you ingest a large amount of glucose.

No matter what, don't freak yourself out over what you read on the internet. There can be dozens of reasons why you have this problem, and there's no way to know until you have the appropriate testing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit