What would you do if you lost your job?

by Virgochik 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• unique1
    unique1

I would start looking now. You can go to www.ecola.com and look up your local newspaper there and check out the jobs online. Even if you don't get fired, it can't hurt to go ahead and send resumes out. Everyone should have a resume by the way, even if they are a line worker or a ditch digger. I can help you with one if you like. I used to do them for a living. Just PM me if you are interested. Then there is always monster.com; hotjobs.com and jobs.com.

• acadian
    acadian

Jourles said:

Oh dear god! So you're the Bethel mole!

Shsssssh...lol...

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I'm sorry to hear about your predicament. It sounds like you already know what is going to happen (I.E. getting laid off) - so I'd say - go looking for another job.

I have been laid off a couple of times in the past. The first time - after 14 years with the same company. I was given notice, and 6 weeks before termination day. I went out and found another job in that time - and was employed before the last week was over.

The next time I was laid off - I didn't really see it coming - we were bought out by another company - and they let a lot of folks go. I worked from home doing CAD work for about 3 years before I found steady work - and am now employed again.

If you think positively - you will be okay.

Regards,

Jim TX

• jrjr4189
    jrjr4189

Even if you file for unemployment and its denied by your company. You can file a grievance and state the terms by which you felt unfairly treated i.e. in your case not lying about something. I know several people that filed a grievance with their states unemployment office and the state decided to give them the benefits. That should tide you over til you find something.

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

I would compile all the documentation you have of the cheating request and let them know if you are fired you will sue.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    Acadian P.S. I don't charge for the work I do, yet all my needs are met.

Acadian are you a gigolo?

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Virgo, I'm going through some sort of health disorder that affects my ability to work. During my sick leave, I lost my job. I am a Registered Nurse; so as long as I don't stay out of work too long, I should be able to find another job. Anyway, I did file for my short-term disability benefit when I got sick. They say it's 60% of what I make monthly, but I think it's less than that, more like 50%.

Make sure that you get all of the dental, health, and whatever care you need now. Don't put it off. Also, if you have been working while you're ill, this would be a good time to use your sick leave (You paid for it.). How much is in your 401K? Will it be available to you? Check into all your credit card policies to see if you're paying for illness or loss of job coverage. Have the numbers available just in case you do lose your job.

Financial advisors recommend that workers try to have an umbrella (money) that would cover six months of lost wages. If you have insurance on all of your cars, home, credit cards, what have you, you shouldn't need that much. Just enough for food without the gravy in the above mentioned scenario. There are many people that choose not to use their companies health and life insurance policies because they will not lose the policies if they lose their jobs.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

Thank you, everybody! I've been ofline for a day or so, taking some of your advice. I went to the dentist to have some work done, while I'm still insured. And I set up a lawyer's appointment to help me fill out my EEO paperwork. We'll be OK for 3-5 months if we have to use savings, but the advice is good, to try to find work and not use it all up. The Union's outraged, because the issue they keep after me about, is illegal per top management directives and the contract. I'm fairly sure, if they persist and try to fire me, after that 6 month period or so, I'll be back. I do have Merit System Protection Board appeal rights, too.

Pretty scary, meanwhile. Every day, the boss harasses me and follows me around, making rude comments, making faces, and rolling her eyes. I think they're trying to push me to lose it, since they really don't have anything on me. Then they would legitimately have something. Any prayers for strength to endure this would be appreciated, as are everyone's responses.

All this, for refusing to play along with the cheating!

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Pretty scary, meanwhile. Every day, the boss harasses me and follows me around, making rude comments, making faces, and rolling her eyes. I think they're trying to push me to lose it, since they really don't have anything on me. Then they would legitimately have something. Any prayers for strength to endure this would be appreciated, as are everyone's responses.

Do you have a cell phone with camera or a tape recorder? I'd start recording all of her harassment against you.

• jt stumbler

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit