What would you do if you lost your job?

by Virgochik 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

If you are fairly confident that you will get your job back after some time, and provided you want to get that job back, then you might consider just taking another job after you lose this one. ANY income will help hold off the wave of bill-collectors. Try to avoid selling the house as that is a permenant life-change to a temporary problem. (Unless you WANT to sell the house)

If you truly want to move on from this job, talk with your husband about permanent changes that might include part-time work and school. Perhaps a second job for him, selling the house. Talk before the panic sets in, then you will know what things each of you are willing to part with or do.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Sorry, Virgochik. I would start looking right away to be on the safe side. An HR director I know well once told me, "Always keep your resume updated." You never know.

If I lost my job, I'd be up s***'s creek immediately.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I've been made redundant twice. Each time, I sat down and prepared myself a budget to try and live as much on what I'd have coming into the house unemployment benefit wise and as little as possible from dipping into the redundancy payment or my savings.

Things really don't seem as frightening when you actually sit and write it all down. Its a good way to discover how much you waste on non-essentials sometimes.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    Shazard wrote: I am lucky to have proffession which is higly required in my country and in the modern world in general, thanks to God. I am system analyst - computer programmer!

Sorry but I don't think 'God' is the one to thank - if you have a highly required/regarded profession, it's most likely because you got an education. Thank the people who encouraged you and made that possible.

Junction-Guy wrote: it's possible that I might be barred from getting insurance due to my pre-existing conditions.

I was surprised to learn that for the last several years, at least in California, there is no more 'pre-existing condition' clause in insurance policies - especially group insurance policies provided by employers. Before resigning yourself to a life and location that you are not happy with, make a few calls. Employment Development Department in the state you would like to move to may be a good start. Also, try the Insurance Commissioners office and Employment Agencies as well. I don't know if it's just a California thing or if it's a nationwide situation. You may not have the hindrances you think you do.

VirgoChik: I think you told me what industry you are in. If that's true, I have two friends that worked there for many years. About 4 years ago they each left and they have much less stress than ever. One has an entirely new career which she loves and the other works at a simple job that she enjoys and with incredibly nice, supportive, appreciative people.

If you really think you are in danger of losing your job, you may want to start working with a career counselor or at least an employment agency to assess your skills and get your resume in order. You may consider taking a class or two to brush up or learn new skills that will help make you more marketable.

I would not recommend using up your savings. I did that. Quit my job while depressed and no desire to look for work. When the savings was nearly gone I started working at temp jobs. 7 months later I applied for and got a full-time position and tried to start re-building my savings and get my life back on track. Within a year I had a cancer diagnosis and was in treatment for 2 years while trying to work and hold on to the little job I had. Point being: Don't tap into the savings until you really *have* to. Save it for true emergencies. If you find yourself out of work, even a temp job can help you meet expenses until you find regular employment.

I truly hope things work out in your favor - whichever way that is. Sometimes a forced change is the best thing that can happen to a person.

-Denise.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

If you can document your situation go straight to your HR and EEOC folks....You have the makings of a hostile work enviroment case and may come under "whistle-blower" protection under the law.

Your Union can do a much better job with DOCUMENTATION of the events you describe.

~Hill

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Forgot to add...sometimes getting fired or quiting is a very liberating thing....been there, done that and I have always landed on my feet... usually in a better place.

~Hill

• acadian
    acadian

Nothing, don't have one. I do work, but I don't have a job. Thats why I don't get jobs, you can lose them, but I always have plenty of work to do. I work for/with people's needs, not want's. As long as theres a need you'll have work. There's a clue in there, if you see it, as to how to solve your concern about losing your job. (anyone can work, not everyone can get a job) There's always plenty of work that needs to be done. Help with people's needs and you'll have more work than you know what to do with. Acadian P.S. I don't charge for the work I do, yet all my needs are met.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

You can`t fire a mountainman.."OUTLAW,we have somebody else to live in the wilderness,your fired!"..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

JunctionGuy, I agree with Aude regarding insurance. HIPAA prevents many companies from using pre-existing conditions against new employees. If they do use it, I do believe that pre-existing exclusion can only be used for about 3 months for health insurance.

Health Plans & Benefits

Portability of Health Coverage (HIPAA)

The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) provides rights and protections for participants and beneficiaries in group health plans. HIPAA includes protections for coverage under group health plans that limit exclusions for preexisting conditions; prohibit discrimination against employees and dependents based on their health status; and allow a special opportunity to enroll in a new plan to individuals in certain circumstances. HIPAA may also give you a right to purchase individual coverage if you have no group health plan coverage available, and have exhausted COBRA or other continuation coverage.

DOL Web Pages on This Topic

Questions & Answers: Portability of Health Coverage (HIPAA)
    Provides answers to commonly asked questions about HIPAA.

• Jourles
    Jourles
    Acadian P.S. I don't charge for the work I do, yet all my needs are met

Oh dear god! So you're the Bethel mole!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit