What would you do if you lost your job?

by Virgochik 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

If you got fired from your job, what would you do first? Live off your savings? Sell your house? Panic? Borrow from family? Try to find another job, or go to school?

I ask for thoughts, because I have trouble looming. I was told to cheat by a high-up in our company, and I refused. He got in trouble by his boss, and is now going after me. Of course, the Union's doing all they can to help me, but it's gone a lot farther than I ever thought it could. The boss's boss doesn't seem to want to intervene. I'm facing a 14 day suspension soon. If the Union doesn't get it dropped, the next step's removal. I'm starting to seriously consider contingencies.You know, those "what if's?" What if it really happens?

We couldn't last too long on just hubby's income. I'd most likely get my job back, but it might take 6 months to a year. Anybody been through anything like this, and how did you survive, mentally and moneywise?

• Shazard
    Shazard

I would go looking for another job! I suppose I am lucky to have proffession which is higly required in my country and in the modern world in general, thanks to God. I am system analyst - computer programmer!

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

I also have this looming, first I panic, then I try and see what else i can do when I have little or no qualifications, I have a few options such as find other work and/or reduce my outgoings. Although when living life with an under current of depression, this could be a good opportunity for life to change and maybe for the better, so I try to put a possitive spin on things.

CS 101

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings Virgochik,

Try to start your own business. You'll be the boss then no one can fire you.

Consider it. It's possible!

Dismembered

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    If you got fired from your job, what would you do first? Live off your savings? Sell your house? Panic? Borrow from family? Try to find another job, or go to school?

Well, heres an idea from a well respected religious journal and organization. [Gag reflex.]

We got to talking about the pioneer work. He pointed out what a privilege it was to be in the full-time service as a theocratic warrior for the only government, the theocratic government. I lost no time in making up my mind that there was nothing more beneficial or more important and nothing I would like to do more than to spend all my time in the pioneer work. I informed my employer about quitting my job and at once entered the pioneer work. As I look back now over the past twenty-seven years, to me it has been just as the apostle Paul wrote the Ephesians: that God can "do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive." Wt 6-1-57

But, seriously, I hope things work out. To lose ones job can be freightening. It is amazing how many people say it was the best thing that ever happened to them in the end. Good luck.

Jeff

• Jourles
    Jourles
    I am lucky to have proffession which is higly required in my country and in the modern world in general, thanks to God. I am system analyst - computer programmer!

Ah! I see that you are currently living in India.

To answer the question, I would start looking for other prospects...just in case. Don't wait around at your current job to see if the axe will fall or not. It's better to have something lined up rather than waiting for the last minute to look around. If you happen to land another job, great. You can always bail on them if your current situation improves before you are required to make the transition. This is another one of those reasons why it is important to have a savings that can at least get your family by for three months if one or both of you cannot work.

• inbyathread
    inbyathread

If your local union rep isn't helping, then go to your district or regional office. You are paying dues and they are getting payed from that. THIS is their job. Sometimes you need to light a fire even under your own people to get them to do their jobs.

Start looking elsewhere anyway. If an employer wants to get rid of you, they will find an acceptable reason and not have to pay unemployment benefits. Good Luck

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I've been fired once, had a new job the next day, worked there for 2 months and found a better paying job than the job I was fired from.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

It would probably be the best thing that ever happened to me. Sounds strange? Well yeah I would probably be mad at first. Im stuck in my present job due to my health insurance. I have a history of blood clots, high blood pressure, and now Im having some kind of kidney trouble. If I were to quit my job, it's possible that I might be barred from getting insurance due to my pre-existing conditions. Im not happy here in Tennessee, nor do I have any family or very few friends here. The only reason I have stayed here this long is because of fear of losing my health insurance coverage. If I were to get fired, I would start packing up my things and move back to Ohio or Kentucky, so I can be with my family. If I could sill get another job in my field that would be best, but if not, I would start seeking out other career opportunities. I have a decent paying job now, but I would almost give it up just to go back home and be happy again, broke or not. Dave

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi virgochick,

I'm sorry you're in this situation. It would be unjust if you were fired.

Interestingly, as I type this, I'm waiting for a call from my manager to let me know if I have a job. Today is bloody Thursday and 10% of the employees are going to get laid off. If I'm one of them, I'll get a severance package including health insurance which would cover me for 6 months. I think I'd find another job within that time frame, but I doubt I'd match my salary.

I can continue insurance coverage with my employer for 18 months, at a steep price. I could also collect unemployment for 6 months, I think $350/week. The mortgage and utilities would be paid. My savings would cover the rest of the expenses.

I've been laid off before, and I find that fear and anxiety are wonderful motivators for me. ;-) I'd adjust like I have before.

Like junction guy, I'd look at it as an opportunity to do something different or at least work in a different environment. I'd also take advantage of the down time to exercise more, read all the books sitting around here, and catch up on the R-rated movies I haven't seen due to JW programming.

Hang in there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit