Within a blink of an eye....

by delilah 12 Replies latest jw friends

• delilah
    delilah

Thursday evening, I came across a terrible accident, involving two cars. There were two firetrucks, a First Response truck, an ambulance, and about a dozen Police cruisers. There was glass all over the place, and you could smell the strong odour of an electrical fire. As I waited for the officer to direct us around the scene, I saw a body, lying, wrapped in plastic, lying on the road, in front of the First Response truck.

I found myself thinking about the family, who'd be receiving THAT phone call, and my heart sunk. I think that would be the hardest phone call ever, to receive. That person, lying there, was someone's loved one, and they'd not be coming home. Ever again.

After talking to a police officer (friend of mine) yesterday, I found out that the driver, who caused the accident, had been drinking, and had drove through a stop sign, hitting the passenger side of the passing car . The passenger suffered a broken pelvis, amongst other fractures, and was a terrible mess. The driver of the other vehicle was going to be charged with more than a few offences.

Unfortunately, within a blink of an eye, a life was taken. Other lives had been forever changed, because of an impaired driver's stupid decision, to get behind the wheel.

PLEASE, EVERYONE..................enjoy this holiday season, but DON'T DRINK and DRIVE.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Good reminder delilah.

Why do so many seem to think 'It'll never happen to me' ........

• neverin
    neverin

It's so sad the effect that a moment's lack of thouthtlessness can have.

A lady who used to work for me was a passenger in a car driven by her husband when a Volvo coming in the opposite direction rounded the corner on their side of the road. Full frontal impact - result - my employee crippled and widowed in an instant. The driver of the Volvo? Turns out he was a doctor from another country and when the police arrived what was he doing? looking after the injured? no- he was taking photos of the scene. Two years later he eventually pleaded guilty to driving without due care and was banned from driving in England - great he lived in Germany.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Delilah~ Great reminder. Unfortunately usueally the ones that need to read this and pay attention are the ones that wont be listening or caring about such advice. I hate to be a downer, but usually that is how it works. They think they are not that messedup and can just drive home. It really is sad and scary.

Dex

• skyking
    skyking

I have received that phone call and know how you hate for awhile, I see the drunk driver that took our Amy away living his life and feel the irony of it all. Amy was my brothers daughter that my wife and I helped raise after my brother died, she was nine month pregnant at the time the Drunk driver took her from us.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I'm in one of those families. My sister-in-law was driving home from a visit to her mom. In the blink of an eye, her two babies were gone, killed by a drunk driver. Shawn was about 2-1/2 and Dustin was almost a year old. She was injured but escaped the worst of the damage somehow. I had to be the one to get my brother off the job-site and take him to the hospital. Two young lives were absolutely wasted by a fool that found liquor more important than sanity.

Please don't drink and drive.

Sherry

• choosing life
    choosing life

I was hit once by a driver who had no insurance and had lost his license for driving drunk, but was still driving. When the police got there they gave him a failure to yield ticket and allowed him to drive away with no license. The man should have been arrested and his car towed.

No one was hurt bad, fortunately, But until they start getting tough with people who drink and drive, nothing will change. MADD (Mothers against drunk driving) is probably a good charity if anyone is looking to donate to charity. They work to change the laws so that drunk drivers don't walk away free.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Skyking and Gretchen~ I am so sorry this happened to you and your loved oned. This is a small consolation, but it is all I have. (((((((( Skyking and Gretchen)))))))))))

• juni
    juni

I'm so sorry to hear of your losses skyking and Gretchen. How sad.

Thanks Dee for drawing attention to this horrific crime. My son used to be a volunteer EMT and SO many drunk driving-caused accidents. It always caused him so much pain to see this type of accident which could have been avoided. And in most all of the accidents the drunk was all right. He encouraged supporting MADD.

You're right Dee. Families' lives changed forever. In Wisconsin they have cracked down more harshly on drunks, but they still get out there and drive w/o licenses and cause more heartache.

You used to see more "weavers" after the bar closings at 2am, but now anytime of the day you might see someone driving drunk.

I don't know what the answer is. My son (who was the EMT)if he sees someone driving drunk he uses his cell phone and uses 911 and calls the police to follow the driver whose plate # he has given them. We all have to do our part to report them to the police to get them off the road. And for ourselves and our guests we must be responsible if liquor has been served.

Thank you again Dee.

Juni

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

(((Gretchen & skyking)))

I am so sorry to hear of your losses in such circumstances.

Personally, I never drink and drive. I'm not a big drinker anyway, and it wouldn't take much booze to render me incapable of driving safely. I have little respect for those who take the risk, they are putting their lives, and potentially the lives of others, in unnecessary danger. If caught, they should be punished as severely as the law allows.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit