"The GOD Delusion" by Richard Dawkins

by Amnesty Vendor 23 Replies latest social current

• Amnesty Vendor
    Amnesty Vendor

I just got it for reading during upcoming travels. Any comments? (I'm sure that this is not the first thread on this topic)

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I've heard of the book, but haven't read it. Of course, I consider writers as any other person with an opinion..... as the saying goes "everyone's got one"

• Scully
    Scully

I received it yesterday and started reading it right away.

It's quite an interesting feeling to begin reading a work of non-fiction and realize that the author is validating things you've been thinking for quite some time, without ever having read any of his previous works.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I'm reading it now and am enjoying this book tremendously.

It's quite an interesting feeling to begin reading a work of non-fiction and realize that the author is validating things you've been thinking for quite some time, without ever having read any of his previous works.

Exactly!

• TopHat
    TopHat

It does tickle the ears of an Atheist....The holy book of dawkins!

• done4good
    done4good

Excellent read. I highly recommend it. Dawkins creates simple, yet convincing arguments. Almost good enough to sway my agnostism towards atheism.

j

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

I read it about a month ago. Excellent book, although I did get feelings of deja vu at certain points cos I'd read all his previous books and some paragraphs were duplicated from those.

I'd also recommend 'The Ancestors Tale' as well by Dawkins covering evolutionary biology from present day right back through every major converging ancestor to the earliest life forms. It can get a little complicated at times but Dawkins is a good writer so the general points are easy to understand.

What always strikes me about Dawkins and scientists like him is their sense of humour and the lack of it in religionists and their sombre sometimes aggressive approach to subjects which they percieve encroaches on their patch.

• Kudra
    Kudra

I highly recommend searching for him on youtube. there are a bunch of his speaking engagements and interviews which are informative and entertaining. they run from 10 minute interviews to 70 minute lectures at universities.

There's even one of him interviewing the gay sex/massage/meth user Ted Haggard (pre-arrest)! Funny funny funny!

But he is a good speaker and disseminates some great information (Dawkins, not Haggard!).

-K

• Legolas
    Legolas

OK....I'm going to go get that tonight.

Is it an 'easy' read...LOL...Or a guy trying to impress others with big words and long winded sentences that you have to be a professor to understand what's going on?

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Daystar,

I've heard of the book, but haven't read it. Of course, I consider writers as any other person with an opinion..... as the saying goes "everyone's got one"

Does that include Bible writers?

HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit