"The GOD Delusion" by Richard Dawkins

by Amnesty Vendor 23 Replies latest social current

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

excellent read - my copy arrived about 5 days ago and I have completed it already

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

It's easy, Legolas. Dawkins' writing style is 'approachable'. I definately recommend you do read it! I think you'll enjoy it.

(LS....a few more pages left)

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I might have to head out to the book store and pick up a copy!

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    I might have to head out to the book store and pick up a copy!

You did introduce me to the FS monster, so yeah!

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Dawkins was also a speaker at the 'beyond belief' conference. The videos are available to watch online. It's very long, but there is some pretty interesting stuff. Session 9 is one of the more interesting. Here is the link:

Beyond Belief Video

• Legolas
    Legolas

Thanks LonelySheep!

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Dawkins' book is good. However, I found Sam Harris' Letter to a Christian Nation to be more concisely written and more readable. He covers many of the same points as Dawkins does, but does it in a several hundred fewer pages. In fact, some of the most interesting points Dawkins had in his book were passages that were quoted from Harris' book.

I highly recommend both books, but I recommend Letter to a Christian Nation first. You can sit down and read it in two hours, and it's around $10 on Amazon.

SNG

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

By the way, here's a link to Harris speaking at a recent conference in Canada. It will give you some idea for where he's coming from:

http://www.samharris.org/appearances/ideacity-06242005.wmv

SNG

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

it's the only dawkins book i have not read. i don't think i will. i pretty much know what the book is saying already.

peace,

tetra

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

How does the argument in this book differ from previous ones? I'm trying to decide which of his books to read next. I am just finishing the Blind Watchmaker.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit