Why is the Watchtower Society so cruel to teens?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 69 Replies latest jw experiences

• restrangled
    restrangled

Angelus,

you wrote:

Ok, so I missed the part where you guys are x-jw's, but why do you knock me for being totally happy in my faith, and getting all my prayers answered? Your religion proved to be false, so you don't believe that I can be happy? I'm happy because I know the truth, see all the false religions for what they are, have more than enough blessings on a daily basis, and know for sure just where I'm going when I die, because I walk by faith, and not by sight, and totally trust in the Lord for everything I need in life and He provides it. There are no strings attached, you just have to want to be forgiven, and mean it with your heart......................simple as that!

Thats great for you, but stop pontificating and tooting your own horn. You sound like a self righteous little twerp and it comes off as extremely obnoxious. r.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    Ok, so I missed the part where you guys are x-jw's, but why do you knock me for being totally happy in my faith, and getting all my prayers answered? Your religion proved to be false, so you don't believe that I can be happy? I'm happy because I know the truth, see all the false religions for what they are, have more than enough blessings on a daily basis, and know for sure just where I'm going when I die, because I walk by faith, and not by sight, and totally trust in the Lord for everything I need in life and He provides it. There are no strings attached, you just have to want to be forgiven, and mean it with your heart......................simple as that!

*Sigh* Pointless to even say anything to you.

Welcome Lonecat!

Josie

• mcsemike
    mcsemike

I couldn't read every post, so if someone said this already, then good.

First, they baptize young to have more "publishers". They also want to keep up the scare tactics: "If you're not a baptized JW, then you will die at Armageddon.

Legal? Yes, but not moral. What idiot would expect a 12 year old to know what he wants from life at that age? We don't let them vote, drink, drive, or marry, but they can get baptized and risk being DF'd and shunned (with possible suicides) at the age of 12?? What the hell is the WT thinking? Sorry, I forgot. Thinking isn't done at the WT.

They are also hypocrites. How often do we get a verse thrown in our face when they want something done? Well, how old was Jesus when he got baptized? Around 30 years old, right? Well, why can't the kids say "I'm going to follow Jesus' example to the letter just like we've been told"? If they waited, many wouldn't ever even get baptized.

It's control, publisher numbers, and other nonsense. I'm sick of hearing about some 8 year old being spotlighted at the convention because he got baptized. He isn't smart enough and the elders who approved him were idiots.

• read good books
    read good books

Since the Witnesses are controlled by the power elite who want a world wide two class society a sure way to do that is break up families and familty loyalty. Its the same reason they brought the public schools in in the 1800's to get children away from their homes and parents and loyal to the government not their families, like, the Nazis did,t and they do it all over the world.today through various organizations like the JW's.

• angelus
    angelus

Then I guess you see only what you want to see

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

SirNose,

The library experience I speak of did not happen in California. It happened in New Mexico, Taos, New Mexico, to be exact. And the Elder that said this had a Bachelor's from the University of New Mexico (he was one of two J-Dubs, that I ever knew that had a Bachelor's). To his credit, my dad was a little more liberal, in matters of reading. I did stick up for me in that instance, he said that it was good that I was at the library, rather than running the streets like some wild worldy kid.

A Bachelor's degree? And he told you to get out of the library? I'm just loving the hypocrisy, I really am. Good thing your dad stuck up for you though.

Then I guess you see only what you want to see

I can see what you type. I saw a large font, highlighted, middle finger to everyone's stories.

• Gordy
    Gordy

At the last Circuit Assembly here I was told that 12 were baptised.

The oldest was 16 .... average age was 14.

I thought how many of them will still be JW's by time they are 20.

Also the problems they will be facing now they are baptised and "officially" JW's and come under all the rules of the WT

• Rosie Angel
    Rosie Angel

Hi! First post here! I'm so excited. :D I hope there's no rule about bumping posts here or anything. If there is, soooooooorry! :O I was baptized when I was 13. I really did think it was "thr truth" at the time! No real peer pressure was involved, either. I just think I was a dumb kid who thought she knew all of the answers, like most older children and early teens. I think that's the primary reason why they target that age group. Kids are both impressionable and suffering from delusions of maturity (I call it the "know-it-all" syndrome), so it's easy to get them sucked right on into the organization. I think like all of you, I really regret having been baptized at teh age of 13. It really galls me to think that my non-believing father, who my mother worked so hard to pit me against, was right all along. By the time I reached 17 and had thrown most of my childhood away, I wanted out. It took me until I was 20 to actually get out (Hooray for college!) and have my father back me. I ran away from home and in with my college friends to avoid disfellowshipping on the heinous grounds of not believing in the religion's propoganda anymore. I had one scuffle with the elders, realized that if I was disfellowshipped, I'd lose the conditional love of my mother forever, and I bolted. This loophole has been WONDERFUL. Nobody in the congregation knows where I live, so they can't find me to disfellowship me! So... Mom and I have been talking and working out the kinks in our relationship. She still thinks I'll return someday (after 3 years!), but that's just not happening. And sure, she tries to guilt me and informal witness to me occasionally, but I just shut my brain off during those times and say "uh-huh's" and "that's nice, Mom." until she realizes that she isn't getting anywhere with me and we go back to talking about fun things we have in common.

• J-ex-W
    J-ex-W

"The minor children are protected by the good work of their parent until puberty." --What the heck kind of designation is that? One of my former sisters-in-law hit puberty way young--at age nine!!! Does that mean that she, at age nine, has more culpability in Jah's eyes than her non-pubescent friend at age 9? Yikes!!!

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

They will not stop telling young ones to get baptized. It is just too good of a tool to keep many at bay even though they lose large numbers of young ones every year. They should be ashamed but they are not, too me this is no different than infant baptism. There is no age limit but it certainly is not at the age that witnesses teach is ok. My bigget regret as a witness is allowing my daughter at age 11 to get baptised. If I could just turn back time. I have seen the damage and hurt from this ploy to keep the flock. It is so damaging. No this is not love.

abr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit