Something happened at church yesterday

by lovelylil 46 Replies latest jw friends

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

o.k. So my hubby wanted to go to church yesterday. It was a non-denominational one in the town next to ours. I went along because he feels he needs a church to attend to keep him on the right track. And I wanted to support him even though I am anti-organized religion. Anyway, I thought either way it may be a good experience for the family. WRONG!

On the way into the sanctuary for service, an usher stops us at the door. He says to us "your children cannot go into the sanctuary if they are younger than 13." My kids are 12 and 14, both short like me. My hubby says "my daughter is 14, my son just 12 but we are here on our first visit, and would like the kids to stay with us". The usher tells us that the church feels it better for children to go to the childrens bible study instead. I asked why? and he says so they do not distrubt the service. Then I tell him how our kids grew up attending religious services more than 5 hours per week in the local kh and have not distrubted any services since they outgrew diapers. Then he insisted that he can let it slide this time but if we came back - my son would have to go to the kids bible study. I am like WHAT???? I never heard of children not being allowed to attend church with their parents. I thought children's bible programs were optional? I blasted him by saying "where in the bible does it say that you have to be 13 to attend services in a church?". Of course no answer. I then asked him "aren't you being a little legalistic?". - no answer. And to top it off I said "wasn't Jesus 12 when he was found by his parents discussing the scriptures in the synogauge with the religious leaders of his day? Of course I am not attending this church again. Do you all think I am overeacting?

Maybe I feel this way because I utterly dispise legalism having dealt with that enough as a witness. Lilly

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I agree with you lovelylil. It is nice to have the option of less formal children's classes, but not in order to exclude children from the main congregation.

• Warlock
    Warlock

lil,

You ain't gonna find out until you ask the questions, and you did.

Did you overeact? Hardly.

Warlock

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

No.

Follow your instincts and try somewhere else.

Just PLEASE don't go down the "If that's what's church is like I'm never going again"

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

If you didn't like that particular church....don't go to it....find another one. I went to a non-denom here and we had our ornery baby with us and no one seemed to care. I think it would be un-natural to send your kid off with strangers and I don't think you are over-reacting. There is no need to feel uncomfortable....you've done enough of that!

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

You were absolutely right to question this "legalistic" procedure . I would never have sent on of my kids off in such unfamiliar territory . Keep on looking ! The United Methodist church I have been visiting is very liberal w/kids attending w/parents. They provide the option of nursery , but no one is pressured .

• blondie
    blondie

Lil, I went to a church like that. No budging them either. Was too much like being at a KH. Just keep looking.

Blondie

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

>Just PLEASE don't go down the "If that's what's church is like I'm never going again" Why not?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Lilly,

I also don't see the need to go to any organized religion. I think if they are that unbending they may also be a high control group, parents should never be forced to seperate from their children by an usher. With all the pedofiles that pray on kids in church you would think they know better.

I went to a baptist church a few years ago because I was helping a friend get his wife out the JWs and he asked me to go with him and tell him what I thought. Well it was a men's fellowship thing and they seperated me from my friend into different Bible study groups, I protested and said I came with him I want to go into his group, they would not let me we argued for a while and still they would not let me go with him. needless to say I never came back and I don't think my friend did either after I warned him about the control these people force on people.

Church and the bible is all about control period, they want your labor, they want your attendance, and they want your money. WHy do yyou need some organization that is based on an ancient myth to direct your life?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Sounds like the guy was a right idiot. Chalk it up to experience and move on...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit