Because it's fun - Can it really be that simple?

by Nellie 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Nellie
    Nellie

Last night in Gabbly I asked why celbrate Xmas. The answer I got was, "Because it's fun." Can it really be that simple?

When I apply that logic to other questions, it doesn't work.

Why be faithful? Because it's fun. Why lie? Because it's fun. Why curse? Because it's fun. Why drugs? Because it's fun. Why steal? Because it's fun.

There's got to be more to it than FUN. Why do we do the things we do? Why Christmas?? I'm not saying I'm against it - I just need to know why I should participate. I know why I DIDN'T participate before . . . now I need to know why I should.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

You don't have to participate, of course, it isn't compulsory in the way many jw - related things are, though I did last year, sort of, as I'd only been out of the org for a couple of months, and the idea was kind of new to me, or an old idea revived to more accurate, as I'd celebrated it pre - jw.

Obviously, the "because it's fun" logic doesn't work on many aspects of life, as you show in your post, but christmas is traditionally a holiday time for many, as well as an excuse for a party, so in that regard it is a fun time, a break from the daily grind of work etc.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi Nellie,

I think it's up to the individual to define the reasons why s/he would celebrate Xmas or anything else. People may have profound reasons to celebrate or not, or there may be simple reasons such as "it's fun" or "everyone else is doing it, and I don't want to be left out."

It's great to have a choice in the matter.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I do it cuz it's fun and not illegal or immoral. I get to spend time with my kids and family, one of the few times we get to go so. It's share memories of good times that I get to keep til I go senial or die. I didn't have much of that when I was growing up.

Josie

• kid-A
    kid-A

sorry double post

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

"Because it's fun" is a perfectly good question to ask when an activity is legal. You might want to re-examine your questions, because you're clearly using extreme examples and scuppering any chance of viewing the situation reasonably. E.g., I have a choice, and feel like it, so why should or shouldn't I:

• have an alcoholic drink?
    • have sex with my spouse?
    • treat my kids to an icecream?
    • walk in the park?
    • invite friends round for a meal?
    • give a close friend or relative a gift?
    • have a house plant?
    • tie a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree?
    • let off a few fireworks?
    • play charades?
    • buy a telescope and look at the stars?
    • tell my partner they are sexy?

Any problems with the above personal choices?

Human beings love a little biit of ritual in their lives, as it brings psychological stability, and annual events (such as anniversaries) provide a perfect opportunity for it.

It really is quite as simple as "because it's fun!". Why complicate it?

• kid-A
    kid-A

"Can it really be that simple?"

Yes, it can and should be that simple....Sometimes we just need to live life, without analyzing it.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Kid-A:I know you won't take this personally, but:

Yes, it can and should be that simple....Sometimes we just need to live life, without analyzing it.

That really hit my funny bone. If only you were so practical when it came to the issue of people holding what you view as obscure beliefs.

• kid-A
    kid-A

"tell my partner they are sexy?"

LT, all I want to know is, why dont you ever tell ME I'm sexy????

p.s. you know darn tootin' well that I respect the obscurity of your beliefs!..lol...

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I'd whisper sweet nothings in your ear, only I'd probably get killed by that "worldy" wife I just found out about - two-timer!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit