Because it's fun - Can it really be that simple?

by Nellie 29 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

Here is my position. I am a none Christian, do not believe in Christ, do not even think that Christianity is anything other then myth, do not think Christmas is Jesus Birthday or anything that would make a person think I do Christmas for any reason. I consider myself a Pagan, I am Wiccan by nature, but I also practice Shamanism, and do things like Magick, Tarot Cards and so on. I am not telling you these things for no reason. The reason is, by what we were told, this would not seem like a person who would celebrate Christmas, right? Well I do and it has been asked, why?

I always say, because it is better to run with the flow of the river at that time of the year, rather then trying to swim upstream. Not that I feel I am a conformist, but rather I feel a real positive worldly energy with people that time of the year. They seem happy, loving and caring. I would rather jump in and dance to that beat and have fun. I did the opposite for to many years, and felt miserable during the holidays OFTEN. Now I look forward to them, enjoy them, and add on each year a little more to my personal and family tradition. At the same time, when the winter Solstice occurs, I do my Pagan thing. I have no mentioned of Christ in any of my decor, and I do not have manger scenes or anything like that. I am all about the positive energy of the holiday, and do what feels good and it does feel VERY good.

In a world plagued by WAR, FAMINE, and other negative things. Take time to not care what others think, and do what feels right and positive from time to time.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Last night in Gabbly I asked why celbrate Xmas. The answer I got was, "Because it's fun." Can it really be that simple?

YES

• delilah
    delilah

We celebrate Christmas, because we want to. Plain and simple. I love the holidays, the gathering of friends and family, the sights, sounds and smell of Christmas. It makes me happy, to see my children, my husband, and my friends, enjoying themselves during the holidays.

It is really that simple....it's FUN.

• parakeet
    parakeet

I'm an atheist with Buddhist/pagan tendencies. For me Christmas is a time to gather with family, enjoy good food, give and receive presents, listen to beautiful music, and generally have a wonderful time. It's that simple.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

My non-JW in-laws are some combination of CoE and Catholic, they go to church on xmas and easter, and we've been to Mr Frass' parents house for xmas dinner because it's special to them. The kids love the presents and have fun, and the farm is a good place to relax for a couple of days (when we're not working there...)

I'd go to church with the folks because they'd appreciate it, but Mr Frass hates it and they put him through a gentler form of 'while you're under my roof you'll go to church' torture until he was 19, and my first loyalty is to him.

A couple of his siblings are trying to introduce a rule re giving presents only to the kids and we're all for that - I'd make presents for everybody but we're moving house over xmas and we won't get it together in time. The buy-buy-buy-crap rule that seems to catch everybody though, I still don't get that. It's very rare that I get a bought present I love, I think it's silly that everybody has fallen for the mass consumer addiction of xmas.

• choosing life
    choosing life

Christmas is about tradition and family. It doesn't need to be elaborate to be enjoyed. And there are so many other traditions the Witnesses engage in that come from so-called "pagan roots", yet they have no objection to them. I realize now that I never really believed they were bad or offensive to God. I just had to go along with it all to get to paradise, supposedly.

It can be religious or not-all up to you. I really think it is just another way to seperate Witnesses from their fleshly families and non-witnesses. Part of the mind control.

And yes, they can be very fun if you relax and enjoy the festivities with your family and friends.

• Nellie
    Nellie

Thanks all. I really do appreciate your comments.

• daystar
    daystar

Because building a set of family traditions is important to create and maintain strong bonds. Xmas fits the bill nicely.

• ramtrucker
    ramtrucker

My wife and I enjoy Christmas. We've been a couple since spring of 2000. She's always enjoyed celebrating the holidays, whereas I was raised a JW from the age of 11 or so. My father started studying with a pioneer in 1949. As a family we enjoyed Christmas for a couple more years then stopped celebrating it. I still remember the sled I received as a boy of 8 at Christmas of 1948. Our winter here in Central Washington State was very hard that year with lots of snow, so it was a welcome gift. My first wife, with whom I was married for 38 years came from a well established family of JW's. She was the youngest of six siblings, one of whom had married a Catholic. Although her family doesn't celebrate Christmas, it has always seemed like it's a time for them to get together. They drink, not to excess, but get happy, eat a lot of food, including the traditional foods most "worldly" people enjoy, and in general hang out over the holiday season.

• Smiles_Smiles
    Smiles_Smiles

Well I didn't read all the answers here but personally I think celebrating xmas is not a 'should' or a 'shouldn't' ... (like many other things JWs try to regulate).

You are FREE now to do it IF you WANT to. To whatever degree or extent you want to participate in it OR not. No Biggie.

But that's just my 2 cents ~ Smiles

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit