Help Me Understand Something-Education/Dating

by tarhillsblue 20 Replies latest jw friends

• tarhillsblue
    tarhillsblue

Anyone that can help me understand this scenerio please explain. I am relatively new in "the truth". I am struggling with some logical things here. This may sound egotistical, or even naive but someone please help. Where are all of the educated, single sisters in the congregation? I have 2 masters degrees and had began doctorate work. I just turned 30. I just am sort of baffled here. All I hear is that there are tons of single sisters in the congregation. But quite honestly I am not finding that to be the case. Specifically in the case of those that are young like myself, and having some form of a college education. Instead I am finding teeny boppers inviting me out to date, or women with 2 or more children with no mate looking for a husband. Those are the choices. Am I missing something?

Also can anyone explain to me why many of the young men in the congregation are still living at home with their parents? It is very admirable to have close family ties but we are talking about 24-30 year olds still living at home. Help me out. Clue me in. I am finding it difficult to develop a social network and find things in common with the young adults in the congregation. I got baptized a few years ago now. So I have wondered this for a while.

Please advise...Thanks!

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

tarhillsblue, stick around here and read the posts. Think about what's said and do your own research. Before long you'll understand why anyone with the kind of moxie and initiative that you're looking for won't be found at the kingdom hall.

Welcome to the forums.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Since you have been a witness for a couple years, haven't you noticed they don't encourage college education?!?! They make you feel guilty if you express a deisre to go. They are afraid that anyone attending will learn to think for themselves. They encourage going door-to-door, and supporting your family as window washers and janitors!!

Welcome to the board!! Hope you stick around for a education!!

shelley

• serendipity
    serendipity

Welcome tarhillsblue.

JWs did not emphasize education in the past. They now condemn higher education.

You don't say where you live. That might have some effect on what you're observing. I've lived in large metro areas and there were a handful of college-educated sisters and brothers in the congs. I've attended.

In general, though, sisters are encouraged to pioneer and live at home and work part-time. Many sisters get discouraged by the marital prospects and look outside the cong. ( In most areas, single sisters outnumber single brothers 2:1. ) Many end up disfellowshipped.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    This may sound egotistical, or even naive but someone please help. Where are all of the educated, single sisters in the congregation? I have 2 masters degrees and had began doctorate work. I just turned 30. I just am sort of baffled here. All I hear is that there are tons of single sisters in the congregation. But quite honestly I am not finding that to be the case. Specifically in the case of those that are young like myself, and having some form of a college education. Instead I am finding teeny boppers inviting me out to date, or women with 2 or more children with no mate looking for a husband. Those are the choices. Am I missing something?

Also can anyone explain to me why many of the young men in the congregation are still living at home with their parents? It is very admirable to have close family ties but we are talking about 24-30 year olds still living at home. Help me out. Clue me in. I am finding it difficult to develop a social network and find things in common with the young adults in the congregation. I got baptized a few years ago now. So I have wondered this for a while.

If you got baptized a few years ago then I wonder how it's escaped the notice of the Elders that you are continuing on with your education instead spending your time in service? You would also be aware that since college education is to be avoided that your liklihood of finding single, young, college educated women would be very limited. Surely you know that many of the young men live at home with their parents because the world will swallow them up and they're terrified of that! All those good looking worldly girls that only like to drink and have sex...tsk..tsk..tsk..better to savour the warmth and isolation of their family home and dream of the day that they might find their JW mate amongst the arms of the congregation. Find her, date her for 3 months, kiss her once and then get married. I'm not trying to be nasty at all - just curious - why would an apparently well educated, knowledgeable, young man hand over his freedom and his life to the Watchtower? sammieswife.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi tarrhillsblue, and welcome to the forum.

As other posters have mentioned, jws are discouraged from pusuing higher education, so the chances of meeting a college - educated jw woman are slim. The only way would probably be someone like yourself, who is educated, joining in her 20's.

I am curious to know why you joined anyway. You certainly won't find it easy to develop a social network worth developing in the jws. Thoes brought up in the religion tend to live very insular lives, and thus develop little or no social skills whatsoever.

• jgnat
    jgnat
    Specifically in the case of those that are young like myself, and having some form of a college education. Instead I am finding teeny boppers inviting me out to date, or women with 2 or more children with no mate looking for a husband. Those are the choices. Am I missing something?

No, you're not missing something. Other than a few public talks on the dangers of higher education. Are you sure you picked the religion that is going to carry your values?

• TheListener
    TheListener

Welcome Tarhillsblue (hey that is hard to type)

Remember it is our differences that bring us together. Perhaps you should accept some of those teeny boppers date requests. Or take the single sisters kids for an evening or two so they can find a mate. Help out and you'll be rewarded by Jehovah.

Ooops.

What I meant to say was:

Good luck finding a spiritual man who wants a "sister" who has such a good education.

Keep reading the posts here. You'll find people and threads that are happy, angry, bitter, relieved and most of all just regular old people trying to help one another move on with our lives while maintaining whatever contact we can with our loved ones.

I wish you the best Tarhillsblue

• cyrus
    cyrus

first of all you naughty boy college education.you have more chance of getting a bj off the pope than you have of finding a fit sexy sister who is college educated not married not a single mum not a manic deppressive not a man hater closet lesbian.The reason single bros stay at home living with parents is because they are pussy whipped mummies boys who cant iron clothes cook wash thier own hair or have a relationship with a woman who isnt a clone of thier mothers.They are spiritual tho at all the meetings,assemblies,ministry arrangements bown tougueing elders to get assignments hoping to be ms so some dickhead sis will want a clone of her elder dad because that is what they are to to look for in a man .Not a man who will make her come like a train,not a man that would kill or die for her not a man who can cook clean iron and basicly take care of himself who doesnt need another mother replacement .hope that answers ur question bro

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Tarhillsblue, something isn't right here. For being in Th' Truth for two years you haven't seemed to have developed Watchtower Speak yet??

I think Cyrus has written the best comment we'll see today.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit