New study calls "Jehovah's protective hygiene laws" into serious question

by under_believer 19 Replies latest jw friends

• under_believer
    under_believer

Anybody remember this favorite Witness concept? The Mosaic Laws were basically perfect, the theory goes. One evidence of this perfection was the fact that the hygenic requirements harmonize with current science, were obviously better than what everyone else at the time was practicing, and resulted in great health benefits for the Israelites. This theory is extrapolated out to support WTS control of the flock: by the same token, they say, the current requirements for Christians (read: rules made up by the Society) are a protection for Witnesses. This is also sometimes used as a proof of divine authorship.

Here are some sightings:

(Deuteronomy 23:12-13)

12 And a private place should be at your service outside the camp, and you must go out there. 13 And a peg should be at your service along with your implements, and it must occur that when you squat outside, you must also dig a hole with it and turn and cover your excrement.

*** g04 4/8 p. 11 Moses—How His Life Affects You ***

The Law of Moses also contained concepts of hygiene and disease control, such as the quarantining of sick people and the disposal of human waste, that harmonize with current science. (Leviticus 13:1-59; 14:38, 46; Deuteronomy 23:13) This is remarkable considering that much of Egyptian medicine in Moses’ day was a dangerous mixture of quackery and superstition. In developing lands today, millions could be spared from disease and death if the standards of hygiene taught by Moses were practiced.

Well, it just happens that, thousands of years after those Mosaic laws were ostensibly laid down by God Almighty, the Essenes revived and practiced these extreme hygenic requirements. Religiously, one might say. This is a well documented fact: Surviving Roman documents and also Josephus corroborate this story.

What we've been lacking, though, is any evidence of what it did for the Essenes, healthwise. Until now.

A multinational team of biblical scholars, paleopathologists, and parasitologists have done an analysis of Roman-era latrines found by the ancient settlement of Qumran, in the Dead Sea area. You can find the entire article here: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/11/061113180523.htm.

In short, though, the results aren't looking very good for the Essenes. You should read the whole press release, but I'll break it down for you here:

1. All males in the camp go outside to this same latrine to go poop.
    2. They bury their poop, instead of leaving it on the surface, which means that it doesn't get broken down by the sun and wind, but instead the bacteria and parasite eggs in all human feces are preserved by a nice layer of topsoil.
    3. Various germs and nasties inevitably leech up through the soil onto the surface.
    4. Guys who are barefoot or in Jesusboots walk through this contaminated soil.
    5. Some of them have cuts or scratches on their feet. The bugs jump into these walking disease vectors. Already each person who was infected in such a way is in trouble--but that's not all.
    6. Now, add the fact that there's no running water, and communal bathing practices where these nasty bacteria can breed and wait to jump into other people who didn't even poop that day, and you've got a recipe for disaster.
    The results? From the study:

"The graveyard at Qumran is the unhealthiest group that I have ever studied in over 30 years and this is readily apparent," said Zias, who has done previous work on the Qumran burials. "For example, 2,000 years ago in Jericho, 14 kilometers to the north, the chances of an adult male dying after 40 were 49 percent. But when you go to Qumran, the figure for people surviving to 40 falls to six percent -- the chances of making to 40 differ by a factor of eight!

The takeaway here, for me, is that those vaunted "scientifically accurate hygiene laws" the Watchtower is always talking about really... weren't. Sure, burying your poop makes sense if you are by yourself, but a whole communal poop-burying place that thousands of people use every day? NASTY! And then if you were lucky enough to live in a place with running water, you might have mitigated the communal latrine effect somewhat, but we know that many people practicing these laws didn't have that luxury, and this included the Essenes, who were, somewhat ironically, some of the least healthy people who have ever lived on the planet.

The fact that these laws really weren't scientifically accurate somewhat undermines the Society's usual application of those scriptures, doesn't it?

• Gill
    Gill

Fascinating, Under_believer!

Thanks for posting that!

If Jehovah was so bloody clever, how come he didn't advise the Jews on basic vaccination which the Egyptians practiced.

They would scratch the patients skin several times. Then they would rub the scratched area with puss from the small poxed patient. Then for eight days after, once the vaccinated patient started to run a temperature they would pour water over him to bring his fever down. Usually within eight days the fever was over and the patient vaccinated.

I don't remember the Jews practicing anything so clever as that and they were living by 'Almighty God's' guidance!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

That is really interesting under_believer, thankyou for posting it.

Of course, I've heard many times how much "better" these rules made the Israelites than the tribes around them, and how much better jws lives are for following wts guidelines. It's good to know that new evidence suggest otherwise regarding the Israelites. We don't need any more evidence to prove that the wts way isn't conducive to good health.

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

Ewww!!!!! Poo is gross...

~luv, jojo

• Kudra
    Kudra

Uh, "quackery and superstition"???

How about all those old WT quotes where you were supposed to jump up and down in a "sun Bath" or stay away from aluminum etc...?

"Quackery and superstition"???- try the latest WT take on the blood issue... sheesh. these people are so dishonest.

• Asheron
    Asheron

ARE YOU SAYING THAT GOD"S LAW IS NOT SCIENTIFIC??????? NOT PERFECT???????

NOT HYGENIC????? But...but...its written by God...

The scientists must have the poop thing all wrong. Poop is good for us, and natural.

Send $20.00 to support the: Sane Christians Over Old Poop Research (SCOOPR)

3978 Excrement Rd

Brownsville Ga 19006

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

How about all those old WT quotes where you were supposed to jump up and down in a "sun Bath" or stay away from aluminum etc...?

I've been out since 83, I dont remember those quotes in my day. Aluminum is associated with alzhimers disease, health concious experts advise against cooking in aluminum pans or exposing your self to aluminum.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Very interesting. Funny that the jewish god didn't advise his people to make sewer systems, when they reached their 'promised land'. Sewers had to wait for the pagan romans to develop, although the minoans may have had them before the romans did.

S

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Jaguarbass.

The aluminium quotes were actually in the awake, or golden age as it was called then, in the 1920's and 30's, which is why most dubs aren't aware of them. If you want to see them, try this link.

http://www.quotes-watchtower.co.uk/aluminium.html

It's worth a look, they had some interesting, if rather stupid, theories about a few things in those days.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Very interesting, once again proving my belief that the bible is not a magical owner's manual for the human race.

Now excuse me while I vomit.

Brochure: Bizarre Medical Myths--Believe it or not!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit