--- A Question for ALL Atheistic ex-Dubs----

by gordon d 145 Replies latest jw friends

• Asheron
    Asheron

Regarding your "Prove Love Exists" debate Idea

Research

In 2000, Andreas Bartels and Semir Zeki of University College, London, located the areas of the brain activated by romantic love. They took students who said they were madly in love, put them into a brain scanner, and looked at their patterns of brain activity.

The results were surprising. For a start, a relatively small area of the human brain is active in love, compared with that involved in, say, ordinary friendship. “It is fascinating to reflect”, the pair conclude, “that the face that launched a thousand ships should have done so through such a limited expanse of cortex.” The second surprise was that the brain areas active in love are different from the areas activated in other emotional states, such as fear and anger. Parts of the brain that are love-bitten include the one responsible for gut feelings, and the ones which generate the euphoria induced by drugs such as cocaine. So the brains of people deeply in love do not look like those of people experiencing strong emotions, but instead like those of people snorting coke. Love, in other words, uses the neural mechanisms that are activated during the process of addiction. “We are literally addicted to love,” Dr Young observes.

Like the man said "Might as well face it your addicted to Love"

• gordon d
    gordon d

Hi Scully,

So you admit that this debate and your challenge to atheists is futile. Good. We're getting somewhere.

It is amazing that so many atheist KEEP thinking that my original point of this thread had ANYTHING to do with religion???? I just don't get it! I don't know how else to say it????

Sounds like spiritual fixation.... how ironical.....

So you admit that you're behaving like a troll. Fair enough. I imagine that in short order your posting privileges will be restricted accordingly, based on the following Posting Guidelines:

D'OH!!! Wwoopps!!!! I keep forgetting that my form of "humor?" doesn't always translate well to the written page. Sorry for breaking any rules or hurting any feelings... Please know that was unintentionally poor judgement!.... P.S. What's a "troll"?

Hi Hillary-step,

It is no so much a 'tired' song as a sinful one to religionists

Sorry for clouding up the waters by answering questions about my beliefs.... my criticism was never based upon "sinfulness" or "religiousness"

Hi Sass,

Not everybody is interested in the eggs. I'm one of the adults who put the eggs there to keep the kids quiet for half an hour (or if you want a more technicolour version, to put a little magic and mystery in their lives). Whatever floats your boat mate. Thank you!.... You're a class act! We have another winner! Hey Asheron, We did???? Are you are admiting that you have no proof of the existance of God? If not tangible proof or evidence, what measuring stick should we use to test the God theory to an open minded person??

When the point of proving God's existence has come up. I've admitted that any emperical evidence is completely subjective. What measuring stick?... That's up to the "rules" set by the individual.... most everyone has a different (or slightly different) standard for what constitutes "proof"

And dont go tryin to start up another debate about another subject. We aint done wit dis one, I rekon!

This new debate is for the purpose of establishing the fallibilty of the current precident... then we can go back to the first debate and (hopefully) shed some light on the point that I have been unsuccessfully trying to make about hypocrisy for EIGHT-LONG-EXHAUSTING-PAGES------- P.S. ...... It's STILL NOT about God!

I realize that you get THAT but not everyone does....

In 2000, Andreas Bartels and Semir Zeki of University College, London, located the areas of the brain activated by romantic love. They took students who said they were madly in love, put them into a brain scanner, and looked at their patterns of brain activity.

The results were surprising. For a start, a relatively small area of the human brain is active in love, compared with that involved in, say, ordinary friendship. “It is fascinating to reflect”, the pair conclude, “that the face that launched a thousand ships should have done so through such a limited expanse of cortex.” The second surprise was that the brain areas active in love are different from the areas activated in other emotional states, such as fear and anger. Parts of the brain that are love-bitten include the one responsible for gut feelings, and the ones which generate the euphoria induced by drugs such as cocaine. So the brains of people deeply in love do not look like those of people experiencing strong emotions, but instead like those of people snorting coke. Love, in other words, uses the neural mechanisms that are activated during the process of addiction. “We are literally addicted to love,” Dr Young observes.

NIIICCEEEE! ..............Can a have a little time to prepare my rebuttal?

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Gordon,

You have posting style that consists of ignoring the main point of any rebuttal that you receive.

Are you really that unsure about your faith held views?

HS

• gordon d
    gordon d

Hi Hillary...

You have posting style that consists of ignoring the main point of any rebuttal that you receive.

uummm... You (and others) Must be right!..... I think I've been doing a little LOT more typing than reading... I'll work on THAT... sincerely!

That leads right to the second point.....

I LIED!!!

I've been telling everyone over and over that my initial point was NOT about God! And doing so with a frustrated, superior, attitude of, "HOW dense are these people?"

I was wondering where I had gotten off track so I went back and read my opening statement....

HOLY CRAP!!! The analogy was not about God but EVERYTHING else was! I find myself guilty of the one thing that I hold with the greatest contempt!

Can't really use the whole, "I never said that defense here!

For the first time in this entire thread... I'm at a loss for words.....only two come to mind:

"I'm sorry...."

Can we still debate hypocrisy? ....... I've got experience!

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

This thread is full of sound and fury signifying ... nothing.

In my single digit opinion, gordon is the class case of caveat emptor.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

hey gordon,

Sometimes people think I am angry about stuff, thus my misunderstanding your comment on buttons and nicely illustrating the problems with literalism...

C'mon... YOU CHICKENS!

I've been subjected to questioning, ridicule, stereotyping, and even a small bit of hostility. My statements have been scrutinized, my analogies have been dismantled and given to new metaphors. The critic of my points keep crying the same tired song... "We want proof"

The gauntlet was cast and it is obvious that some people will NOT believe in even the remotest possibility of something that have not seen, read about in some other person's book, or that cannot be grasped by their vast intelligence.

These challengers are not stupid... I never thought they were... so I shouldn't be surprised that they will avoid the picking up of their gauntlet and attempting to support their views.

It's just a little exercise.... don't let me win this debate by default!

Gordon, please be honest with yourself; you have no reason to swagger and call us cowards when you put up a lump of very off Swiss cheese as an argument to show how wrong atheists are. You continually refuse to show what differentiates your claims of god from similar but contradictory claims of god made by other people.

If you were to invest money in a financial scheme someone presented to you, when others were presenting similar but contradictory financial schemes, and you did so just on the personal assurances of the person telling you about the scheme even though some of the claims about the scheme went beyond what was acheivable in everyday life, people would consider you foolish.

How come you think people 'investing' in a belief based upon someone's personal assurances about something beyond what was acheivable in everyday life, when there are others making similar but conflicting claims, when none of the can show any proof, is anything other than foolish?

If it's unwise to throw your money into something based on say-so, why is it wise to throw belief into something based on say-so?

Stop evading the point man. You might be impressing yourself and your internal interlocutor. If that is your sole aim, you've achieved it. Well done! You're pleased with yourself!

If you want to make an argument that has relevence for others and is convincing you are simply going to have to try harder. You seem new to this; we are not. We have been round the block a few times. Please try to be original and please try not to blow us off like that, as it is patently obvious what you're doing.

Ultimately it doesn't mean we are 'right'; but it does mean we get bored very quickly with same-old same-old, especially when they are overly impressed with their own 'cleverness'. Nice to see you got round to reading your own posts; now try reading the responses and this time deal with them or admit you can't in a way which has any relevence to someone using an evidential paradigm.

Yes, that was sarcastic, wasn't it...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit