--- A Question for ALL Atheistic ex-Dubs----

by gordon d 145 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully
    Have you found the "Joy that surpasses all understanding" yet? If so, please share your "hope" with us.

It's called "freedom".

As far as the time limit for the hunt.... Typically it's 70 years but if you don't get a fair oportunity, there is a second chance round.

If one's life is lived fully, a second chance shouldn't be necessary!

As far as the dejected kid without any eggs.... Thank goodness there are some kids willing to share theirs!

Riiiiight.... there are even kids wanting to shove their eggs down the throats of kids who don't want any ... or perhaps are allergic to them!

++++If "god" exists, he wouldn't make it so difficult to find him for someone who was sincerely searching for him++++

Is this based upon human standards of difficult or Gods?

Well since you are into game analogies, when you are playing "hide and seek", isn't the goal about "finding" rather than staying hidden - or worse - pretending to be hidden, but actually gone off somewhere else taking a nap for 6,000 years? I suppose it would be extremely silly to base my "personal" search on "god's" standards... since my entire life all I have heard about "god" is that his standards are far too lofty for me to achieve... so my only other option is to go with my own "human" standards... but a real "god" worthy of my worship would understand that, wouldn't he?

I hear everything that you're saying Scully... there was a time that I would have Totally shared your perspective. My intent was not to be offensive. It was to say that I found something that is better, for me... something wonderful! I would love to share that with everyone but won't force it upon anyone.... I don't have THAT right any moreso than certain atheist have to condemn those that are looking for God.

If it works for you, gordon, then that's fantastic. I'm honestly happy for you. Atheism / Secular Humanism works for me and I'm happier than I ever was as a "believer". Why do you feel the need to berate and diminish that and insinuate that it is because of a flaw in me, or in my searching methodology, rather than just accept that my belief system (or lack thereof) is just as valid and personal as yours? Your intent may not have been to offend, but it does come across as offensive, just as you would be offended if I berated your beliefs as "delusional" and "not based on reality", for example.

It seems that more consideration is given to the people that have found peace though any other lifestyle than Christianity... It seems that that may be a latent effect of being misled by someone representing a false form of Christianity.... That's truly sad! But for those that have placed their hope any other form of spirituality, or lifestyle.... what hope does your future hold for you?

My future holds whatever I want it to have. I hope to live a good life, raise a good family, have good friends, help people in whatever ways I can, and have people who will remember those things about me when I'm gone. I do not aspire to heavenly afterlife or any other kind of afterlife - the very thought of it just doesn't appeal to me. Like I said before, if I do it right, one lifetime will be sufficient for me.

• aoxo
    aoxo

if you look hard enough you can find anything that you want to be there. it doesn't mean that its realy there. i am a lot happier since i announced my atheism. i do not have a theist brain. i do not think that way and do not wish to change my ways of thinking and reasoning for someone elses satisfaction and i don't go preaching my atheist ways to other people so i am not dragging anyone down with me. your comments are highly offensive.

• gordon d
    gordon d

Yikes!!! Too...Many.... Words.... Too...Many... Words!

OK.. here goes!

Scully... Please tell me... What does an athiest look forward too after this 70 years of "Bliss" are over?

Vomit... Have you found any guarantees (apart from death and taxes) anywhere in the world?.. would you ever play a game if you were'nt sure that you would win?

Gumby....Tell me what place to look in that I haven't already looked in if you don't mind.

Perhaps the best place is to ask someone who has "truly" found what you seek... they should be pretty easy to spot, this time! I've "claim" to have found lot's of eggs... put me to whatever test you want... if I'm mistaken, I would sincerely like to know too!

............how do you suppose he'd explain natures bad side?

Is there anything beautiful in all of the universe that appears without some time, heat, pressure, discomfort, or explosive transformation?

a creator exist/existed to make the things I see. Is that what god is to you

Absolutely not..... I don't think that I could ever fully grasp what God is. I think that we can see a small part of his nature in the things that he created that have not been cursed by man, sin, or his intentional neglect... As awful as much of this world is, aren't there still some things that are stunning beyond description? The most moving of these is the small bit of his spirit that can dwell inside of you. I don't know many people that have been foryunate enough to experience this but the little bit that I have experienced is so superlative to anything else!!!

If your answer is from the bible, then how do those without one know god as well as you do?

These are all philosophical questions....The Bible is not EVEN necessary for this debate.

Vomit.... If it surpasses all understanding, how can it be understood?

It doesn't Have to be understood, just experienced.... Does knowing what compunds and elements make up a strawberry make it taste any better?

....that's where the witnesses missed the mark.... It's a FREE and Un-Deserved Gift! NOT the "Knowledge That Leads to Eternal Life"

Asheron....

"The religion of one age is the

literary entertainment of the next "

"The depths of the love of God, for those that love him, transcends all time"

....Me

• Scully
    Scully
    Scully... Please tell me... What does an athiest look forward too after this 70 years of "Bliss" are over?

Take a look at Job 42:17.

And gradually Job died, old and satisfied with days.

That's it. That's all. Why do theists need or want to have more than that? Does it ever occur to you that humans have a 70-year lifespan, and that's all that we get? Doesn't it seem incredibly selfish and greedy to expect to receive more than what we are entitled to have? To me, it would be like going to work for my regular shifts, and expecting to get paid more than what my contract stipulates. The idea of an afterlife just does not mesh with reality for me.

Atheism is a belief system that is based on reality and in honesty and ethics. I don't expect or want anything more than what I have worked to have. I work for the things that I want in life, I don't pray and hope that "god" is listening and wait on "god" to fulfill my desires, and my life has worked much better in that mindset. If things don't work out, it's my responsibilty - I'm accountable for my choices - I don't waste time on wondering how I've failed "god" or thinking that it "wasn't god's will". I figure out how to get where I want to go, without relying on a mental and emotional crutch like "god".

Here's one of my favorite sites for educating people about atheism: http://www.positiveatheism.org/index.shtml. I hope it helps you understand atheism a little better.

• gordon d
    gordon d

Hi Scully.

It's called "freedom".

Freedom from what? Pain, Death, Worry, Loneliness... or just control?

If one's life is lived fully, a second chance shouldn't be necessary!

I couldn't agree more.

Riiiiight.... there are even kids wanting to shove their eggs down the throats of kids who don't want any ... or perhaps are allergic to them!

Then does that mean that ALL kids are bad?

If it works for you, gordon, then that's fantastic. I'm honestly happy for you. Atheism / Secular Humanism works for me and I'm happier than I ever was as a "believer". Why do you feel the need to berate and diminish that and insinuate that it is because of a flaw in me, or in my searching methodology, rather than just accept that my belief system (or lack thereof) is just as valid and personal as yours? Your intent may not have been to offend, but it does come across as offensive, just as you would be offended if I berated your beliefs as "delusional" and "not based on reality", for example.

If that is what I conveyed... I'm truly sorry! Happy people are a gift to themselves and everyone else.... My comment was intended to impress humility on those who felt it necessary to squelch the dreams of anyone else who has not found "their" happiness I think that those people are bullies.... wether they use their position to tell lies and be controling (Most, perhaps ALL Religions) or if they say that others are fools for tryng to find something that they could not. It's still coercion and it welcomes debate on this forum.

My future holds whatever I want it to have. I hope to live a good life, raise a good family, have good friends, help people in whatever ways I can, and have people who will remember those things about me when I'm gone. I do not aspire to heavenly afterlife or any other kind of afterlife - the very thought of it just doesn't appeal to me. Like I said before, if I do it right, one lifetime will be sufficient for me.

I hope that you get everything that you'd like from this life... I don't know you other than from your posts and based solely on that, I think you are exceptional, intelligent, and (with other posters) Very Charming. Obviously we have different aspirations and beliefs.... If I ever grow tired or disillusioned with mine, I'll be looking for some of your input on the peace that you've discovered.... If you ever grow tired or dissillusioned with yours, I hope you'll come to me!

P.S. I'm not trying to end this discussion with the above statement.... I think it's Great!

Hi AOXA,

I do not think that way and do not wish to change my ways of thinking and reasoning for someone elses satisfaction and i don't go preaching my atheist ways to other people so i am not dragging anyone down with me

Sorry for the offense..... with what you said above, it was never directed at you!

• Asheron
    Asheron

Which child is wiser?

While starting a hunt for Easter eggs… one child runs to a big tree and finds nothing… then that child’s brother says, “Go look under that rock… I promise you’ll find one there!” Again, Nothing! The child throws down their basket and says, “I give up! I can’t find one…. I don’t even think there are any Easter Eggs!! You guys are wasting your time!!”

Another child has the same experience but just when he was about to give up, notices another kid not even bothering to look for eggs. He walks over to the kid and asks "Why arnt you looking for eggs"

The child replies "Our parents hide these things and lie about a big bunny to give us a sense of wonder and mystery about the world and to reinforce our hope of things that exist beyond our senses"

"But if you dont believe you dont get any eggs?" the child replies as he begins crying.

"Sure I do! I can go to the local store and buy dozens of em anythime I want and color them myself'. Really its ok" he says.

"The kid SCREAMS.."THERE IS SO AN EASTER BUNNY. I can feel it in my heart!!!! You are mean and stupid and I will not be dragged down into your foolishness"

"Please dont be upset. It it makes you feel better believe whatever you want but please, please dont insult me for what I dont believe in" he says.

• gordon d
    gordon d

Scully,

C'mon.....You know better than that!!!!!!!

If you're gonna site Job for a point... you gotta to take it all as valid..... what are you some kinda' JW????

JOB 19:25,26

25 I know that my Redeemer lives,
    and that in the end he will stand upon the earth.

26 And after my skin has been destroyed,
    yet in my flesh I will see God;

• vomit
    vomit

"Have you found any guarantees (apart from death and taxes) anywhere in the world?.. would you ever play a game if you were'nt sure that you would win?" Death and Taxes? I would like to see how a tax is a guarantee, its is mearly an arbitrary rule to keep the upperclasses upper and the lower, lower. People decide to live by thes rules and give power to thoes making them. Its not a guarantee its a choice. There are plenty of guarantees, man is mans own worst enemy.

• gordon d
    gordon d

Asheron..... D'OH!!!!!!.... OK..... that was pretty well done!

Next time get your own stinkin' analogy!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Is this god you've "found" all powerful, Gordon?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit