recommended reading

by Chia 19 Replies latest jw friends

• parakeet
    parakeet

The first book I ever read about JWs from the perspective of an exJW was "Visions of Glory" by Barbara Grizzuti Harrison. It was written in the 1970s but is still timely and extremely well-written.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi Chia,

One of the best books I have read this year is The Power of Now, by Eckhart Tolle, and I would very much recommend it. It's not jw related, but well worth a read.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

totally unrelated..but im reading helter skelter at the moment..its the story of the charles manson killings as told by the lawyer for the case..tis rivetting

oh and i sent u a pm

• rebel8
  • betterdaze
    betterdaze

The Early Christians, In Their Own Words

Edited by Eberhard Arnold

The Early Christians is a topically arranged collection of primary sources. It includes extra-biblical sayings of Jesus
    and excerpts from Origen, Tertullian, Polycarp, Clement of Alexandria, Justin, Irenaeus, and others. Equally revealing
    material from pagan contemporaries -- critics, detractors and persecutors -- is included as well.

304 pages, 1,431 kb Download PDF here:

http://www.plough.com/ebooks/earlychristians.html

~Sue

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

You can check here

The Best of. . . Books

It lists many books and the reader' thoughts on them

edited to fix link

Lee

• bernadette
    bernadette

I'd recommend The Great Transformation by Karen Armstrong. Its about `the world in the time of Buddha, Socrates,Confucius and Jeremiah and why they had such similar ideas about humanity'. Came out this year.

• Chia
    Chia

That last one sounds interesting...

I couldn't get Lady Lee's link to work!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I'm not sure why the link didn't work but here it is again

The Best of. . . Books

• Chia
    Chia

Thank you! Maybe it was just a one time thing, but it kept giving me an error message when I tried to access it before. I can get to it now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit