recommended reading

by Chia 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Chia
    Chia

I haven't read as much as I would like to, so I'd like to catch up on some reading, especially relating to female ex-JWs.

I'm going to order "Out of the Cocoon" today. Has anyone read "The Truth Book" by Joy Castro, and if so, what should I expect from it?

Also, if anyone has any reading suggestions, JW or non-JW related, I would appreciate it!

• belbab
    belbab

Chia,

You ask for suggestion for books to read.

When I first started posting on the net, four or five years ago, I wrote a post about a book called Milena. It is about the friendship of two women in Ravensbrook concentration camp during World War two. In it, there is a section about JW women imprisoned, it is quite revealing, but not in a favourable way. It is a tragic heart breaking story about Milena and her companion, Neumann and their remarkable friendship.

The book is not expensive, it can be obtained cheaply here:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&y=12&tn=Milena&x=62

Or try your public library.

If you read it. or anyone else, I would like to hear your comments.

belbab

• Chia
    Chia

Excellent, thank you. I will look into it. I'm always looking for something interesting to read.

• hopie
    hopie

Hi Chica......

I wrote my true story in hopes to help educate, those that don't know anything about the WTS, (CULT), and to give hope to those that are affected by the shunning.within the WTS, (CULT).

After some 40 years a member, I resigned in 1983, my daughter remained in the organization, she was married to an elder, who molested his daughter, and my other daughter. At the time, I lived in Calif, and she in Tenn. I suffered deep depression during those 10 years of their mandatory shunning policy that was inflected upon her, which she complied faithfully, despite all my efforts, and the efforts of my family. I decided to rejoin so I could eventually show her their cult-like errors This was a 2 year rescue journey.

I am sure you will enjoy reading about the struggle I went through with the judicial meeting, proving her husband a child molester, plus the deprogramming of my daughter.

The title of my book is: "Going Undercover To Rescue My Daughter, From The Cult Of Jehovah's Witnesses" By Nancy J. Sage

Hopie

• daystar
    daystar

None of the recommendations I have are books directly related, but might apply nontheless, if only to help the unconscious perspective.

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West

Childhood's End

Stranger in a Strange Land

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Hello Chia, I have been out of the organization since 83, I would recomend both of Raymond Franz's books Crisis of concience and Christian freedom.

For non jw books. I would recomend your erroneous zones by Dr. Wayne Dyer. It can help you get your thinking right for the rest of this life. It has been out for maybe 30 years you can probly find it in a used book store in papper back for a dollar or two, but it is excellent.

For enjoyment I would recomend. Animal farm and 1984 by George Orwell, Watership down, by Richard Adams, Johnathan Livingston Seagul, by Richard Back the Tao according to willie by willie nelson, Children of the matrix by David Icke, How to Win Friends and Influence People, by Dale Carneige, The Richest Man in Babylon by George Clason, Before bying you can go to Amazon.com and read a review and see what other people thought. Nowadays thats what I like to do to see what kind of vibes a book has before spending my time with a book. Happy reading.

• Chia
    Chia

Thanks to all for the suggestions!

Hopie...I haven't heard of your book, but I will look for it, and I applaud your courage for writing your story.

Jaguar...I have read both Ray Franz's books, excellent stuff! I have also read Animal Farm and the similarities are eerie...but your other suggestions sound interesting.

Keep 'em coming, everyone!

• jrjr4189
    jrjr4189

Hey chia,

As far as JW-related I agree that Crisis of Conscience and In search of christian freedom are excellent reads.

As for non-Jw, I read a great book this summer titled The Divided Mind: The Epidemic of Mindbody Disorders by Dr. John E. Sarno. The book is written a by a famous Dr. who deals with psychosmatic disorders like Back Pain, fibromyalgia, Irritable Bowel syndrome, etc. It is an excellent look into how your brain and your body interact when dealing with stress and the situations it is in.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

One of the first books I read upon leaving the WT is How to Read a Book by Adler & Van Doren. It helped me immensly in the area of critical thinking, something that most JWs, and people in general) don't know how to do. I recently found it in my local library, and I am currently re-reading it. I recommend this book without reservation.

Edited to add: I understand that this book is not in the genres you requested, but I believe it is an important book for people that have never been taught to think critically for themselves.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Captives of a Concept by Don Cameron

The Four Presidents of the Watch Tower Society by Edmund Gruss

Jehovah's Witnesses by Diane Wilson

Apocalypse Delayed by James Penton

Paul's Idea of Community by Robert Banks

Have You Seen My Mother by Brian Lee McGlothin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit