Dawkins on Jehovah's Witnesses' "Creation" book

by slimboyfat 44 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    interesting the Americans seem to be taking it up as much as in the UK...

Well, there's a few of us left that are hoping against hope that the USA doesn't descend into an Orwellian Christo-Fascist nightmare in the coming decade...

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Could someone who has a copy give us the gist of what he writes about the Creation book? I'm thrilled that one of the reputable writers has finally commented on this. Think of all the mileage we've gotten out of Carl Sagan's two or three paragraphs on the WTS!

Love Dawkins stuff, and Sam Harris. The last I looked, there were three pro-evolution and anti-religion books in the top 10, at least. About time!

S4

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I wouldn't say his comments on the Creation book are very quotable, not along the lines of the famous Carl Sagan quote. He has a more pithy condemnation of Watchtower literature in The Blind Watchmaker I seem to recall.

He just says that the Creation book is wrong to say that that evolution equals blind chance, in fact he argues that evolution is the exact opposite of chance. He calls the type of argument the Witnesses use "The Argument from Incredulity". In other words the Watchtower authors presume that just because they cannot imagine how evolution could have produced complex things like Redwood seeds, that is somehow an argument against evolution. Dawkins says it rather indicates a lack of imagination and ignorance of how Darwinian evolution really works.

He also tears Behe to shreads. (remember he is the "intelligent design" protagonist that the Awake! recently interviewed)

Slim

• parakeet
    parakeet

itsallgoodnow: "I prefer to be more of an apathetic atheist."

Exactly how I feel. Big Bang, ID, primordial soup -- yawn. No one knows for sure. We're here now, aren't we? That's the only thing that matters.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Thanks Slimboyfat. I'll get the book.

S4

• eddie c
    eddie c

Hi Slimboy,

I will read Dawkins book when i finish my current reading......"The Case For A Creator",,Lee Strobel.

Eddie

• Dansk
    Dansk

I've almost finished reading The God Delusion. One word: BRILLIANT!

Frogit said it all for me:

I wish I could have read it 30 years ago, before I wasted most of my life believing in a myth,

How that comment echoed in the deepest recesses of my body!

This isn't a 'nasty atheist' book. Dawkins points out that it is impossible to prove that God doesn't exist - only that the probability is highly unlikely. To me, that's an honest appraisal - just as this book is totally honest. I should like to see this book in every school and, more to the point, read and re-read constantly. Some of the arguments for belief in a God as opposed to atheism have recently been posted here on JWD. Dawkins answers them, such as why we don't need religion to be moral.

Ian

• Gill
    Gill

Personally, I have found people who have NO religion, to be MORE tolerant. They listen to their hearts and 'feel' for other people.

If you need a book to tell you what is right and wrong, then there must be something wrong with you.

• Justitia Themis
  • ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

There is a great article over at WIRED with additional detail on his book and his motivations behind the book:

http://www.wired.com/news/wiredmag/0,71985-0.html

-ithinkisee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit