Dawkins on Jehovah's Witnesses' "Creation" book

by slimboyfat 44 Replies latest jw friends

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

TopHat:

Actually funky, This is just another thread for a pissing contest between evolutionist and those who believe in a Creator.

No, this was an intelligent thread about a particular book on the subject of those who believe in a creator. You bumbled in with a silly barely relevant comment and pissed all over the thread like a delinquent puppy.

I am not trying to prove creation...

Clearly. Your posts might be more interesting if you did try.

I am telling you what I believe. I have that right....and you have your right.

Absolutely, and I believe you're not capable of having an intelligent discussion about this subject. (I'm undecided as to whether that inability is limited to this one subject.)

So FAR, evolutionist disagree among themsleves of the how and why and what...

Perhaps you'd like to provide examples of this, and further show why that should be considered a major obstacle. After all, don't creationists disagree far more about the how, the why the what and the who?

GET IT TOGETHER WILL YA! DAWKINS IS A JOKERRRRRRRRR!

This is the sort of stuff you should probably tone down if you want to be taken seriously.

Of course, if you have no desire to be taken seriously and don't mind being thought an idiot, carry on, you're doing just fine.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I haven't read this particular title but I have read The Blind Watchmaker. I think his books are a good place to start for ex-JWs that have never really looked at the arguments for and against evolution objectively. I think much of this material was misrepresented to us and we do ourselves a disservice to not look it up.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

TitHat

Watch your spelling, I'll watch mine.

Abandon, What do dinosaurs have to do with evolution? I am sure God created the dinosaurs!

Yes dear. You being sure means what exactly? If you were not a bridge builder and you assurred me a bridge I could see was VERY shakey would not collapse if I walked over it, I would not risk your amateur advice costing me my life. Why should I take you amateur advice on a vastly complicated scientific subject? Do you go to the plumber to have your teeth checked? No. So don't expect me to consider you being sure as an indiactor of anything when it somes to science.

As for the spaghetti monster it could be applied in the same way as Dawkins compares it to those who believe in a Creator.

Read what I wrote and acutally think about it. You are missing my point by miles. The spaghetti monster and god are compared as neither has proof. Evoltution has proof; dem bones dem bones dem dry bones. They show a steady progression of development called 'EVOLUTION'.

What made creatures evolve is a DIFFERENT thing. There is a theory of evolution that explains the evolution seen in the fossil record. Some believe god made progenitor types which could evolve within certain bounds. Others believe god created each type. Others believe in non-Christian creative myths that can be interpretted either as ftting in with the physical evidence of the fossil record or not.

The delusional state of NO facts provided by evolutionist that life got here by chance.

Why is it neccesary to lie like this? Since when is violating your own supposedly Christian principles right if you do it to defend your beliefs?

All that is available to evolutionist is what God has provided.

Which god? Allah? Brahman? Thor?

It is about time that you realise TitHat that you are an atheist too; I am just more thorough as I don't believe in any god and you don't believe in all gods but one. When you tell me why you disbelief in all the other gods, I will tell you why I don't believe in your one... although one would hope the shoe had dropped by such time as you providing me with such an explanation.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Tophat

So FAR, evolutionist disagree among themsleves of the how and why and what...GET IT TOGETHER WILL YA!

That is wt thinking. Why should all evolutionists agree on the how, why and what? We are learning the hows, whys and whats, and we are thinking, individualy. That is unlike types like you who start out w a belief and stick to it no matter new facts come up.

S

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    DAWKINS IS A JOKERRRRRRRRR!

I hope you'll at least read one of his books before anymore name calling--You haven't read any, right?

Right now, it seems that he's "a joker" simply because he is athiest and writes about it.

Believing authors being called such things would quickly be shot down.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    So FAR, evolutionist disagree among themsleves of the how and why and what...

I've been thinking about this comment. It's quite commonly bleated out by unthinking creationists, and is the closest TopHat came to making a point in this thread. So, is there any truth in it?

Not really. In reality, evolutionists (by which I mean scientists working in relevant fields) all believe almost exactly the same thing. They believe almost universally that life began on Earth sometime between 3.5 and 3.8 billion years ago. They agree on almost all branches of the evolutionary "family tree", which species of hominids are likely to be ancestral to humans, the nature of heredity, the forces that drive evolution and so on. There are of course differences on minor points such as the role environmental catastrophes play in spurring on evolution, and there are many unanswered questions, especially about the early stages of life and the proper classification of some obscure species (something creationists don't have to worry about). Usually, those who fall on different sides of these arguments are aware of the relative uncertainty of their position and almost invariably change their mind graciously if further evidence warrants it.

Compare that to creationists. They can't agree on whether the world was created 6,000 years ago, 42,000 years ago, or billions of years ago. Some even believe God used evolution to create life. Some believe dinosaurs were created by God to control vegetation before humans wrre created, some believe dinosaurs died out in the Flood, some believe dinosaurs survived the flood, some that the Devil planted dinosaur fossils, and so on. And that's just the Yahwists!

Many creationists believe in direct (or indirect) creation by a completely different god (or gods!). They can't even agree on the identity of the creator! And are those who disagree constantly testing their beliefs against the evidence? Not a bit of it! They almost always choose the creator(s) that their parents believe in, and either believe with an unthinking "faith" or construct elaborate scenarios to explain away evidence that doesn't suit them.

So it's laughable when creationists spew out the old canard that "evolutionists disagree among themselves", or at least it would be if their deperate pitiful ignorance wasn't so embarrassing to observe.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

and my copies of the books have just arrived -looking forward to the reads

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I am currently reading The God Delusion and whilst I am impressed with some of his arguments, I find that whilst he suggests that we must have respect for those that do believe in a personal god, he contradicts this through his somewhat arrogant, sarcastic and patronising comments about such beliefs. Its almost demolishes any semblence of objectivity, shows clear bias and prevents would be atheists from viewing his arguments with much authority.

DB74

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Bumped thread.

For no other reason that to say that we had the privilege of seeing Dawkins live this week.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5079840475578368/we-just-enjoyed-wonderful-experience-richard-dawkins-live

It struck me yet again, just how ignorant and infantile we were as witnesses. We thought we were so "educated", but the ignorance we all had was more a form of arrogance!

Even the youths in the audience posed such thoughtful questions to Mr Dawkins, that demonstrated their education, yet also their humility. (I was struck with just how stupid the average JW would have come across in such a crowd.)

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yep that’s right - slimboyfat promoting Dawkins since before other posters were even invented.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit