prayer with JWs

by truthsearcher 16 Replies latest jw friends

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

As a lurker, I am now attempting my first post. A question for any who may wish to comment. What would be the response if I asked a JW to open our "discussion" in prayer to Jehovah for our eyes to be open to the truth of what we are about to study? That is, as a non-JW, my eyes are open already that this is not the truth, but would this freak them out? I believe Jehovah can do anything, and if they are sincere in their prayer, he might just answer them.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    open our "discussion" in prayer to Jehovah for our eyes to be open to the truth of what we are about to study

If you word it like that, they will assume the prayer is to open your eyes to the truth, as their eyes are already open.

BUT, JW's will never let a non-JW open a study or discussion with prayer. You can have fun with the meeting by
    insisting that YOU open with such a prayer. They will have to decide what to do- if they allow it, ask why they did not
    say amen to your prayer.

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

Hi On the Way Out:

Thanks for your response. I know it seems like a bizarre question...and I'm not sure about the theological ramifications...as in, are they really praying to the God of the Bible since so much of what they believe is wrong, wrong, wrong...would they fall off the couch in shock if I asked the gentleman to pray...are they lurking on this board...and other questions like this!

• hambeak
    hambeak

Most studies do begin with prayer and the expression you chose is not at all uncommon and is used quite frequently by many active dubs. It is also not uncommon to allow the person being studied with to open with prayer though not common very rare. Try and tape record the conversation that would be interesting.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Hello, and WELCOME TruthSearcher!

Regarding your question, I think they would just find it odd that anyone would suggest what they might pray about. It would probably be one of those "went over like a lead zeppelin" moments, but it's a great thought. Certainly you can be saying your own prayer that they might see the light... I certainly do.

Baba.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    It is also not uncommon to allow the person being studied with to open with prayer though not common very rare.

I think this would be very rare. I seem to recall some instruction from the society as to how to handle the "unconfortable" situation where the study wants to lead with prayer.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi truthsearcher, and welcome to the forum.

All the studies I have ever had with jws have been opened with a prayer, but I have never heard of a student making suggestions as to what the prayer should be about. I would imagine they'd be a bit taken aback, to say the least, if you suggested this. I doubt such an occurrence is covered by the watchtower.

• heathen
    heathen

I've listened to alot of dubby prayers and never heard anyone pray for spirit and truth, just giving thanks for whatever the "FDS" has served up . I was allowed to pray before my personal book study started or ended and I didn't even pray for spirit and truth out loud but would in private . They believe all they have to do is cover all the bases of the pattern prayer that jesus gave .

• gordon d
    gordon d

James 5:16 (NIV)
    Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed.
    The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.

++++++ Maybe YOU better say the prayers!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Truthsearcher,

Welcome to the board, and please be assured that, over time, your questions will receive satisfactory answers. The notion that God recognizes the prayers of JW's only in the circumstance you have described prevails. God's spirit, direction and blessing must be invoked by the Witness presiding over the study. Any allowance of the dread other option would smack of interfaith and Jehovah's displeasure. Well, once I got past all that, I began to feel right at home with, let's say, having dinner at a client's home, joining hands and bowing my head while the young son or father offered the blessing. And sometimes I would be asked to pray. No longer do I fear the strike of lightning during such blessed occasions. With the help of JWD, allow yourself time to figure all these things out.

Yours truly,

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit