JW Divorce Rate

by sandy 19 Replies latest social relationships

• sandy
    sandy

Anybody know what the JW divorce rate is these days?

How many dub couples do you know that got divorced?

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I don't know what the jw divorce rate in comparison with the rest of the population is, and I doubt the org would publish it.

I knew of at least 12 couples who got divorced during my time in the org though.

• zagor
    zagor

Considering how many dubs rush into marriage just for 'legitimate' sex I'm sure dissatisfaction is sky high. (Hence, WTBS constant damage control will 'Happy Family' mags)
    I know there are many ‘separations’ among them. Statistics are of course not available for obvious reasons - how could god's people have problems for which god is going to destroy the world Whatever those numbers currently are I'm sure they would be much higher if most of them didn't fear being disfellowshipped. In fact, I'm sure it would be much higher than in general population considering again how quickly and for what reason dubs go into a marriage.

To add: Come to think of it now, in my personal experience many more of my previous j-dub acquaintances got separated or divorced than people I associate with nowadays... and that's just anecdotal evidence from my personal observations

• ladione5000
    ladione5000

I know at least 10 couples my self used to be friends but they all got divorced.

• hambeak
    hambeak

I'm sure it is high as someone previously stated you really aren't allowed to date and you get married way too young.

• sandy
    sandy

I'm trying to think about how many couple I know of so far I've only counted 4 divorces.

This past weekend my brother-in-law was telling a family friend that the only way a marriage will work is in Jehovah's organization. Thank God my sister had the good sense to correct him.

She told him no xxxxxx there are a lot of couples who are happily married. You just have to have the same goals if you want your marriage to work. I was shocked to hear her say this. Perhaps some doubt in her mind. This is the same sister that used to tell me there are no good guys out there. The only ones you can trust are the J-dub men. She used to tell me this over and over.

About two years ago she was telling me how wicked the world is. I pointed out to her there a plenty more people in the world that are good and honest and we shouldn't generalize everyone. I told her all of our lives that is all we heard from the WT publications about how wicked people are. Maybe it permeated through a bit. I hope so.

I know she isn't truly happy in her marriage.

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

Well, hardly any. You see they are disfellowshipped by the time it gets to a divorce, so they are no longer a JW. So it looks better for the numbers! Just like there are NO JWs who smoke, do drugs, etc. That's because they're all disfellowshippped, so then they immediately don't count anymore. What a clean congregation!

• proplog2
    proplog2

I performed 3 weddings and I have a perfect record. 3 divorces.

A couple years ago I was sitting at a Watchtower study on marriage. I got bored. So I wrote down the names of all the weddings I attended.

It was about 60. Half of them are divorced. I would say the divorce rate is the same for JW's as it is in the world.

That is a good question. I know of several when I was in, and now my wife tels me about her cong. and i swear that there has been at least 5 there this year.

• south african beef
    south african beef

No exact figures but there are absolutely loads of divorces amongst Jehovahs Witnesses.

I was one of them and how glad I am that I was able to 'start again'.

First time round I was soooo young and inexperienced, now I know what kind of person I want to be my wife, and I found her and we are very very happy.

Also, how many Witnesses are still married, but very very unhappy, but they stay together due to the immense pressure to do what's 'right'?

SAB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit