JW Divorce Rate

by sandy 19 Replies latest social relationships

• M.J.
    M.J.

I think it's higher than the Moonie divorce rate. Just see what the Moonies have to say about it!

http://www.owl.ru/eng/womplus/1998/munizm_e.htm

What features make Unification Movement so attractive in eyes of people? First, moonism makes marriage and family a cornerstone of their teaching; divorce rate in moonies families is almost zero, unlike the situation in the rest of the world. Unification Church members’ belief in sanctity and finality of marriage and children as God’s gift — all this produces unique air of love and mutual respect in their homes.
  • ackack
    ackack

From http://www.atheists.org/flash.line/atheist4.htm

In the "No Religion" category measuring lifestyles of the 29-million or so members of this cohort, 33% were single, 22% single and co-habiting, 19% married, and 9% divorced. Six percent were widowed. Only Buddhists (47%) and Muslim/Islam believers (37%) exceeded the numbers in the singles category. But the "No Religion" group showed low rates of divorce compared to religious counterparts. Pentecostal Christians had the highest divorce rates at 14%, followed by Episcopalian/Anglicans at 12%, Baptists at 12%, and the Assemblies of God at 10%. Non-believers had comparable divorce rates along with Methodists, Roman Catholics, "Christians," Church of Christ members and others. ARIS noted, "the no religion group was far more likely to be either single, never married or single, living with a partner than any other group." Evangelical Christians and Assemblies of God followers were more likely to marry (73% and 74%), thus possibly contributing to the high divorce rates.

ackack

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I have done research on this and the JW divorce rate is the same as the rest of society

http://jwfacts.com/index_files/Page381.htm

From personal experience, of the people that i grew up with and got married half have been divorced.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

The only statistics I can provide are those of my own family.

• JW marriages ended: 100%
    • Catholic marriages ended: 20%

W

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Well, look at how they base marriages on.

Common interests in field service, and meeting attendance and other organizational activities.

But what do people get divorces over?

money, sex, family, children, etc.

JWs don't know how to deal with those things.

Bad in money, sex and too tied to family.

So many marriages that are just stagnant because all they do is the theocratic stuff.

• Gayle
    Gayle

At least half of those who grow up in it, get married (most young), assumed and expected unrealistically, eventually divorced. Of course, due to additional expectations and disappointments, most leave the organization altogether then too.

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

The elder that performed my wedding talk informed me that he had done the talk for 17 couples over his years, and they were all divorced including his 2 sons. I made 18 for him.

Of a group of around 20 kids my age growing up in the hall, none of them are still married to their first spouse. Only 4 of them remain captive today to the org.

It is staggering but not surprizing at all.

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

I remember a CO giving a talk several years ago, and he said the JW divorce rate was about 50% just like the "world"

• blondie
    blondie

My husband the ex-elder said the same as below. If the divorce happens after they are df'd or da'd, it does not count as a jw divorce.

Well, hardly any. You see they are disfellowshipped by the time it gets to a divorce, so they are no longer a JW. So it looks better for the numbers! Just like there are NO JWs who smoke, do drugs, etc. That's because they're all disfellowshippped, so then they immediately don't count anymore.

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/divorce.php

By applying unselfish love in their marriages, Jehovah's Witnesses achieve stable relationships. In some countries one marriage out of every two or three ends in divorce. But the above-mentioned survey indicated that presently only 4.9 percent of the Witnesses are divorced or separated from their mates." Awake 1997 September 8 p.11 A People Taught to Love

Jehovah's Witnesses generally believe they have better quality of marriage and an exceptionally low rate of divorce, as seen by comments on the Internet. This feeling is promoted by the Watchtower.

"Indeed, those really willing to learn from Jehovah's Witnesses will discover something. What is that? How Bible truths can dramatically improve the quality of their lives?."Our marriage has never been better than it is now," they say. "We have so much to thank Jehovah for."" Watchtower 1990 May 15 p.21

This article presents research from various countries that show the divorce rate of Jehovah's Witnesses is similar to the population average, and discusses why the comment in the above box is statistically misleading.

"U.S. Religious Landscape Survey 2008" by The Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life surveyed 35,000 people and presents findings on divorce/separation rates. (http://religions.pewforum.org/reports as at April 20 2008) The following graph from the report shows the Witness rate of 14% was slightly above the U.S. average of 12%.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Mathematically it is very easy to work this out and to do a comparison.

The anual number of divorced in a nation (divided by) the total population (multiplied by) 100. Basically this gives the number as a percentage, or out of 100. In other words this breaks a hugh number down so a person can see it better . Then you have to multiply that number until you get to a full number which represent the number of years. Hope this isnt confusing.

For example

if the divorce rate in a given year for a nation was 9000 and the total population of of that nation was 5,000 000. It would be 9000/5,000000 (multiplied) by 100 = 0.18. So in other words for ever hundred people in that nation there would of been 0.18 of a divorce. It is impossible to get 0.18 of a divorce so what we have to do is multiply that number (0.18) until we can get can get to a full number (and this would represent the number of years).I will now show you this as an equation.

9000 / 5,000000 x 100 = 0.18 per annum.

0.18 x 5.6 = 1.008

So what I am trying to say here is in a congregation of 100 publishers you would have to have 1 divorce around every 5 and a half years to be at the national average for that country. So what you now have to do is look at the cencus report for you country and work it out. Once you know what the national average is, think back over the years and think how many many have split in that given time and adjust that figure by the number of publishers. I know in the congregation that I am associated with (when I was researching this)I was shocked to find that the divorce rate over the last 2 decades was nearly 200% higher than the national average. Oh and until this point I always thought witnesses had an extremely low divorce rate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit