What is the real reason behind the WTS' move out of Brooklyn?

by Lady Lee 24 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

There have been several discussions about the WTS and their selling off properties in Brooklyn and moving headquarters out of NYC.

The Best of... WTS Finances

Why the WTS is selling their assets

For sure there is money to be made by selling off the properties in NYC. Renovating a building into condos, moving the printing plant out of the city, moving staff out toi Patterson. Yup lots of prime real estate that will go for a bundle. And the WT accountants will love that

But what if the answer is far simpler? What if their moving out of Brooklyn is based in fear.

9/11 scared the world. It won't ever be the same. Countries, big cities, just aren't that safe anymore.

What if the WT decisions makers are just too scared after 9/11 to stay that close to a potential target of terrorists?

What if they they really believe that their god won't protect them.

In the past it has willing sold JWs up the river so they can establish legal presidents for freedom of religion. JWs have been coerced into taking a religious stand when it suits their purpose: Malawi, Quebec, and Germany, the blood issue as well as transplants are a few that I can recall but I know there are others. JWs following the dictates of the F&D slave, many being arrested andf far more being, beaten, raped, and slaughtered. Their firm faith in Jehovah and the WTS would protect them or allow them to die as martyrs for the cause.

So they expect JWs to take a stand in the face of danger and persecution.

They sit in their offices and tell others to wait on Jehovah and stand firm

Meanwhile they are taking a quick exit out of NYC. In spite of all the proclamations that Jehovah will protect them they are running.

They are running out of a city whom they closed their doors to as people trudged out of the city and past their doors and gates. Instead of offering water or aid they closed the curtains and were told to get away from the windows.

While their public stand was they helped people, as shown in their press release

For Immediate Release
    September 11, 2001

Reaching out to those hit by tragedy

"I got rocked out of my chair." Timothy Eng was on the 83 rd floor of World Trade Center's Building #1 and felt the first plane hit this morning. "At first I thought it was a really heavy wind, but then I saw one of the traders I work with; he was burned from head to toe. I rushed to put out the flames. People said a plane hit the building. All we saw was debris flying out from above. I helped the trader get down the stairs. As we came down it was dark and there was water and debris everywhere."

Michael Wityk was on the 59 th floor in Building #2, preparing for a 9 a.m. meeting. After a sudden loud noise, he saw that Building #1 was on fire, with paper and glass flying outside. "We were told to evacuate. When we were in the stairwell and got down to about the 20 th floor, an announcement indicated they were about to let us go back up, thinking that only Building #1 was being affected. All of a sudden Building #2 shook. There was some other kind of violent explosion, then everyone started getting panicky. It changed the mood, the terror really rose at that point. My knees literally started to shake."

Both of these men were survivors of today's tragedy, two of the thousands who made their way across the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges to escape the aftermath of this catastrophe.

Linda works on Wall Street and had to evacuate with throngs of other New Yorkers. "One of the tenants was trampled, but thank God she was all right. Others saw the second plane hitting the tower. Everyone was scared. . . . Hatred can do so much harm. So many innocent lives were lost for no reason. We pray we can assist others who were going through such a hard time."

Arriving in the lobby of the Watchtower buildings across the Brooklyn Bridge, Timothy, Michael and Linda breathed a sigh of relief. They were able to join many others who sought shelter in these buildings. The billowing smoke across the river is a reminder of what they just survived.

A volunteer brings Timothy a cup of water and offers him a chair. "You don't know how happy I feel to have made it to Brooklyn, coming down from 83 floors in the air." When he realized he really was out of danger, he added, "I feel safe."

Food and refreshments are provided to the people who streamed in the building. "They are looking for a haven," Jack, one of the helping hands, remarks. "There was some panic. A lot of people who work here volunteered to help provide whatever was needed."

The Watchtower buildings in Brooklyn were not damaged in today's tragedy, but the people working in them felt it deeply. As spokesman J.R. Brown expressed it, "Today's explosions sent a shock wave through the heart of New York and the rest of the world. Everyone will be touched by this tragedy. Comfort and cooperation are the necessary survival kit right now."

those who were there say the doors and gates remained closed.

from

======================================================================

Dear Ones:

Just to let you know that the 2 world trade centers were hit by two
    separate airplanes, one was hijacked out of Boston by an AA aircraft, the other out of Newark by a United craft. The first was hit about 9:00 am, the second, 18 minutes later. One hour later the Pentagon was hit by a terrorist plane, now the capitol is on fire from apparent bomb...

Renate and I were standing on the roof of the 30 Columbia Heights bldg watching the one tower on flames when we spotted a second airplane approaching the other tower & then plowed into the tower. both trade center towers have now collapsed by 10:30 am.

Bethel is surrounded with smoke. our air system has been shut off.
    everyone here at bethel is still at their work stations here at bethel, so far, and everything is okay at this point. the air is so thick we cannot see the anything in Manhattan or the statue of liberty because of the smoke. Just to let you know we are thinking of you.

james and renate

ps all arteries into and out of the city are frozen!

=====================================================================

As you all are aware, tragedy has hit New York City, and in some cases our brothers and sisters have been affected . I was at the World Trade Center yesterday catching a bus to Newark Airport. You don't know how happy I'm that I left when I did. Following are a few notes I received from a couple of my friends at Bethel today:

360 Furman was evacuated due to toxic fumes blowing in its direction.
    90 Sands was evacuated due to being one of the more prominent high-rise buildings in the Brooklyn area.

During lunch, all Brooklyn Bethelites were advised not to attend their congregation meetings tonight. Security has been heightened at the Brooklyn Bethel facilities. Some persons fleeing from Manhattan came to the Bethel facilities for shelter.

One sister who works in the World Trade Center called in sick today.
    Another sister who is in the congregation I attended in New Jersey was on her way to work on the train when the explosion took place. They both are safe.

Three of my Bethel friends witnessed the second plane crash into the
    World Trade Center. They described the impact of the first plane crash as sounding like something "huge" was dropped on one of the floors above.
    They walked over to the window and watched as the second plane came
    crashing into the second building. They said it was like watching a movie, and their jaws dropped open in disbelief.

At Morning Worship yesterday, it was mentioned about 1% of our brothers and sisters die every year. That's about 60,000 friends. It was a sobering statistic. Many brothers and sisters work in and around the World Trade Center buildings. No one knows how many may have perished today. Make sure we pray for our brothers and sisters who may be experiencing firsthand the effects of this tragedy.
    Your brother, ------------

================================================================= The View from Brooklyn Bethel

from Bethelites 'ordered to keep working'

My sister also forwarded some "experiences" from Bethelites who
    witnessed Tuesday's events. They did put some coffee and sandwiches
    outside of the building for passerby's...but I think that's the
    extent of their help efforts. Before they evacuated the building due
    to the fumes, the Bethelites were ordered to pull down the window
    shades and continue working - can you believe that???!!!

Apparently there was another discussion here about how the WTS were out trying to preach at Ground zero. Or so they say. Real rescuers said NO ONE got into ground zero without passes and they certainly would not have had JWs walking around the ruins trying to sell WTS or read scriptures

So while the WTS tries to make themselves look good, and coerces JWs to become martyrs, they are not willing to do the same.

In fear of another attack at some time in the future they have abandoned the post and are moving out of the city, making as much money on the way as they can.

But while money is always a concern, I think in this case plain old fear that their God won't protect them.

So they head for the hills.

No such "protection" though for all those they have ousted from their residences in Brooklyn.

Fear. What a huge motivator and it makes money on the deal

• Nellie
    Nellie

So are they moving everyone to Wacko?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Sorry Lady Lee - nothing new - I totally agree. The other day at a JW cookout, an elder said to me quote "It would not suprise me if the system went on that the Society will move everything out of Brooklyn including the Governing Body. New York is just too much of a juicy target for terrorists. There has been much diversification already and I am sure it will continue" end quote.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Lady Lee,

Two points came to mind while reading your post:

1. My Bethel work overseer (about 35 years ago) mused that the closing-down of Bethel by authorities and resultant persecution would scatter us and further the proclamation of the GN. Somewhat akin to what happened after the death of Stephen. He must have been a preacher at heart as he spoke with zeal and eagerness at such a prospect.

2. Regarding Brenda Upton's court victory over injuries sustained while at Bethel, the Society's lawyer ( a Mr. David ?, I believe ) stated that this victory could set an unfavorable precedent for future litigation against religious groups and drive such out of the City. I believe I read that on WTinfoservice. The story is well-known. Please forgive any slips on details.

I enjoy your stories, Lady Lee, and the keen insight you always provide.

Yours truly,

CoCo

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

I Agree Lady Lee but finding out the truth would be hard as it would have been decided behind closed doors in muttered tones.

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

I haven't been following the story. Would someone please tell me why the WTS is moving and , if one knows, to where they are moving ?

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

Phil Brumley, the real leader of the WT, has his palatial home on Brimstone Road in Walkill. The "Launching Pad" for dead GB members is in Walkill. The real WT leaders do not live in shared apartments like the Brooklyn dweebs do. They prefer to live in a gentrified setting like Walkill is becoming.

Add the fact that Manhattanites are willing to pay absurd money for a 1 BR condo in Brooklyn and the WT will sell out in a heart beat.

Was it $200 MILLION they got for the converted WW2 tank factory? And REMEMBER KIDDIES! NOOOOOO TAXES because they are a "religion"

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Lady Lee..The reason is what it has always has been,CASH!!..Cold,Hard,Cash!..Nothing more...OUTLAW

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

The WT has been remodeling itself since 1999-2000 once the Branch Committee took hold of operations and cutbacks. had nothing to do with 9/11 but i am sure it moves them to be quicker about it

wac of the I was there class

• Gill
    Gill

Are some of the monies made from these sales being moved to offshore accounts which can't be touched if people start winning law suits against the WTBTS?

Who is Phil Brumley? What does he do?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit