What is the real reason behind the WTS' move out of Brooklyn?

by Lady Lee 24 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• nelly136
    nelly136

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/11996/1.ashx

Arriving in the lobby of the Watch Tower buildings across the Brooklyn Bridge, Timothy, Michael and Linda breathed a sigh of relief. All three are Jehovah's Witnesses and so felt particularly comfortable in the familiar complex of buildings where they chose to seek refuge. They were able to join many others who sought shelter in these buildings. The billowing smoke across the river is a reminder of what they just survived.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Thanks for posting that Nelly. I tried looking for it but missed it in my search

WAC Yup I have to agree. The timetable was sped up - a lot

• Alpheta
    Alpheta

Minister Amos said:

Was it $200 MILLION they got for the converted WW2 tank factory? And REMEMBER KIDDIES! NOOOOOO TAXES because they are a "religion"

I recently did some research on the WTBTS's real estate holdings in Brooklyn - think it was around October 25th in the "Friends" section, maybe you can find it. There have been three parcels sold in Brooklyn; the Society owns several more. The largest one did go for over $200,000,000. As for an estimate of the remaining properties' fair market value, it's anyone's guess. I constructed a table showing the "assessed valuation" of the parcels, but since the Society does not pay any real estate taxes, the City hasn't been very current in updating assessed valuations. I think the parcels have at least a billion in value, maybe more, if the Society sell everything. But they're not doing it all at once; they don't want to depress the market, after all! Will the Society hold on to at least a few "token" buildings in the area? I guess that depends upon how much the real estate continues to appreciate. Hell, instead of pilgrimages to Brooklyn, the Society can work some deals with witness-owned travel agencies and start running pilgrimages out to Patterson and Walkill. What would the faithful among the r&f care?

I haven't done any research on what information is available about the Society's real estate holdings in Patterson and Walkill, but just from a common sense point of view, I'm sure the Society bought that land when it was dirt cheap, literally out in the middle of nowhere, and the Society is pocketing all the excess profits between what it has cost it to do the build-up in Patterson and Walkill, and what it has made by selling parcels in Brooklyn. As to whether there are offshore accounts, there is no way to know, unless someone "inside" would tell us, because in the United States the Society is not even required to file an "information" return showing gross receipts and gross disbursements.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Alpheta

If you check out some of the links in The Best of... WTS Finances you might find a lot of what might interest you regarding their properties and I think there are some financial reports for the WTB&TS of NY and possibly from PA

• BCZAR2ME
    BCZAR2ME

If they are moving out of NYC then why are they building in Dumbo? There must be some other explanation especially with all the downsizing.

bczar

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

The building is so they can create expensive condos using slave labor and then sell it off to the highest bidders before they move out.

At least 1,000 workers at Bethel have been sent home.

• kid-A
    kid-A

I'm amazed they didnt do this 30 years ago, when virtually all large corporations were moving their plants and operations out of urban centres and into

the far suburbs as a cost-saving measure. They would likely save millions of dollars in overhead costs alone simply by moving all operations upstate. I suspect

they will at least maintain a "storefront" in NYC however.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

There are various reasons why the wts is moving out of Brooklyn, but one of the most important reasons in my opinion is money. After the contribution arrangement took effect, the money did not come in as before. At the assemblies food was not sold anymore and contributions was tried for a bit but food was being eaten and not enough contributions to cover and make a non-profit profit. hence, simplification NO MORE FREE FOOD!

The littereature too became voluntary contribution basis. Lots of free littterature and subscriptions given out but the contributions did not cover the cost (In my opinion). THe public was not giving enough and the friends either. THe subscritions became a financial burden hence it was eliminated. THere was a time when one could go to bb litterature counter in squibb then furman and buy then take for a contribution, litterature. Contributions did not cover hence the bb walk in lit counter was iliminated.

Lit availability has been tweaked to the point where the most contributions can be received for the lit.Everything considered of course. I am not saying that the purpose of the lit is to make money. The real purpose is to spread kingdom message but the ww work also takes money to accomplish. Bros contribute what they can for the lit at the kh but the public is not so generous.

In NYC the property value has gone up enormously! Will it continue to go up or will it go down? Maybe it is time to caSH IN/ mAYBE NOT. THere are many legal issues brewing regarding bethelites and work benefits. THere are many disgruntled jws with the appointing of young gb members and apponting of nethinims. IT is a complex situation. THere is also technology of the information age. You dont need as many blites to do the work as before. Why throw money away? Better to pink slip btlites

Cme to think of it, it is not necessary to be smack in the miiddle in bklynn when the same work can be done away from the brroklyn and manhattan bridge and way ffrom all the commotion. And planners want to build a large developemnt by the water front in the near future which will pressure wts activity.

Is it really necessary to have a wts presence in NYC? Why should the nyc congs get btlites and the rest of the usa do without. THe bottom line is money. Money that was previously spent on nyc presence, where will it go?

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos
    Who is Phil Brumley? What does he do?

Head of 100 plus attorney WT Legal Dept.

• Honesty
    Honesty

This reminds me of something I recently heard:

Question: Why doesn't a rattlesnake ever bite an attorney?

Answer: Professional courtesy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit