Do you feel bad throwing away literature?

by stuckinarut2 35 Replies latest jw friends

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

So do you feel bad throwing away your old literature?

What about your old song book or bible from your early days in the org?

If so, is it because of sentimentality, monetary cost or because it might be 'sacred' ?

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

At first I felt somewhat guilty but then it turned to pride that they had no control over me anymore.

The only thing I now regret about tossing it is that I had lots of older books which they've hidden from view, but would be so useful to prove how dramatically they've twisted and turned their "teachings".

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Old literature? I take stuff straight from the literature desk over to the bin.

I was defrauded all my life into donating to this company, so I figure I'm still owed a bit of literature to do with as I please. I'm pleased to throw them in the trash.

• Magnum
    Magnum

I don't feel bad at all as if I'm doing something unsacred or wrong in a spiritual or religious sense. There are some things that I have sentimental attachment to that I don't want to throw away. Also, I am a recycler and I don't like to throw anything away, so I try to get some use out of old lit - like burning it in my woodburning stove.

I'm keeping a lot of the stuff to use in my research and to use against JWdom.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

I could have kept them for documentation of what the Watchtower has been saying throughout the decades.

One particular set of books that I regret having tossed was my collection of the blue 'Truth' book - in 65 different languages. Don't know how much good they would have done but I wish I had kept them.

• kairos
    kairos

My study copy of the book I came in with: Live Forever.

Also, four book study time favorite: Revelation Climax.

These both got tossed due to a misunderstanding. I really wish I still had those. The religion I came into is not what exist today.

• millie210
    millie210

I love books. Its hard for me to throw any book away.

Magazines have all been tossed however.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    I have some old books but never look at them. I guess I should dump them, taking space.
  • Blackfalcon98
    Blackfalcon98
    I just throw them away. Guilt is a product of watchtower that I've mentally left behind!
  • Athanasius
    Athanasius

I left the JWs in 1984 and had lots of Watchtower books, including the bound volumes going back to 1960. Also had Russell and Rutherford's books, which I kept. Since I left voluntarily and was not DFd, I was able to sell my bound volume set to a new elder, plus some extra copies of older books that I had on hand. Couldn't see burning or throwing the books away, when there were people willing to pay for them.

In the 1990s I sold a NWT 5 volume set to a second hand bookstore for twice what I originally paid for

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit