I've gone a week without smoking!

by fullofdoubtnow 38 Replies latest jw friends

• morty
    morty

It's a tough sport to give up that's for sure....Good luck my friend and keep up your good work!

Morty who wishes she could give it up as well....

• restrangled
    restrangled

Carefull with those patches! Don't get comfortable figuring you don't need them anymore. I have done this numerous times.....Pulling them off, not finishing the program and then returning to smoking.

I am thrilled for you, and do not mean to sound negative, but you must finish the 3 program course.

Pat yourself on the back, put that money into a jar and save up for something special.

Don't give up, I am totally behind you. Please keep us updated.

Still smoking but trying to figure out how to quit.

r.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Thanks again everybody.

I'm feeling fine tonight, the patch is working and Trev is full of encouragement for me.

Pat yourself on the back, put that money into a jar and save up for something special.

Don't give up, I am totally behind you. Please keep us updated.

Money wise, I've probably saved at least £50 so far, maybe more. I haven't been putting it in a jar, but it's a good idea, as well as being an encouragement to keep going through the tougher times that are probably ahead. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated with progress, or Trev will, he's been telling me all week how proud he is of me for trying to quit.

Linda

• ballistic
    ballistic

Last time I gave up, I had my house double glazed with the money I saved. It is really good to count it up and put it to something tangible. Unfortunately, I started again after 2 years, believing I could have one cigar a night. But I truly belive you learn each time and become better at staying off tobacco.

• DesertRat
    DesertRat

Very proud of you. My best cousin (non-JW) has struggled to quit for two or three years (partly because she knows how much I love her & am concerned about her long-term health) with only sporadic success, so I appreciate how difficult it can be. I myself have never smoked as a habit, although I do enjoy a good mentholated cigarette now & then (American Spirits in particular..)

The same advice given previously (taking one day at a time, not allowing setbacks to discourage us, etc.) has also helped me as I struggle to address my drinking habit (...). Three days sober at the moment, & hopefully counting..

I wish you continued best of luck in your efforts to remain smoke-free!

DR

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Thanks Desert Rat, and good luck with dealing with your drinking habit.

As for me, it's 10 days without smoking today, not easy but I'm managing.

Linda

• anewme
    anewme

Linda I am so happy for you!!!!!
    Its probably like anything else we love to do but must quit. Sometimes trial and error is a real educator.
    It gets easier over time as you learn what leads up to a set back.
    And especially when you are so motivated! New love! Happy marriage coming up! Happy life ahead of you for Trev and you! Go for it girl! Be successful! Show them all you and Trev are WINNERS!!!!

Anewme

OMG! I just remembered an old Awake article from years ago on quitting substance abuse.

H A L T spells HALT!

H----for Are you Hungry?
    A----are you Angry?
    L----are you lonely?
    T----are you tired?

If you are hungry----eat
    If you are angry-----calm down,pray
    If you are lonely-----call a friend
    If you are tired------take a nap

I found this to be one of the few useful bits of info from the Awake.
    That and the emergency solution for dehydration and diahrrhea!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi Anewme, and thanks. That advice from the awake is one of the very few useful articles they ever published.

I'm getting loads of encouragement from Trev, who quit himself about 5 months ago, and used willpower alone, whereas I'm using patches. He keeps telling me, morning and night, how proud he is of me for doing this, especially as I've had some problems lately with my mums illness and Trev spending a night in the hospital last week. If I do make it, he will deserve a lot of the credit, no one could possibly be more supportive,

Linda

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Ten days!!

Good job, you non-smoker you!! ;)

Whatever you're doing, keep it up as it seems to be working!!

Please know your efforts in this regard are inspiring to others!!!

In case it might help you somewhere along the way, I know of someone that was very successful at quitting. Her trick was to binge on fruit and vegetables in order to get over the rough days. Replace the yucky stuff with nutrition packed stuff. Maybe for ease of access get the ready cut variety. :)

• zagor
    zagor

Good on you, you can do it don't stop now. When you say it is hard to imagine not to smoke for the rest of your life it sounds enormous, but if you had to wear glasses and doctor told you, that's pretty much for the rest of your life, would that be a problem? Probably not.

So don't give up, maybe if you add odd gym session to the mix will make experience all the more enjoyable

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit