Is anyone going to the "Walk against (global) warming"?

by serenitynow 19 Replies latest jw friends

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Jayhawk, thats really impressive. We were talking about green energy devices at work the other day. Our science teacher is putting in solar power and a wind turbine, cutting his food miles and buying local produce.

I have been looking at solar power but I think you cna only get it to heat your water here (may be wrong). Its something I would like to do eventually, as I think its got to be the future.

I am really hoping now that the debate has been phrased in economic terms that big corporations will start to look seriously at the issue. Its a very frightning picture being painted here in the UK, of an economic crash as bad as the one in the 1920's.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

The earth has been warming and cooling for centuries (an milenniums). Has anyone ever watched "Little Ice Age" on the history channel. It got so cold for about 300 years from the middle of the 14th century till the 17th century that it caused havoc with agriculture and life in general. Who was watching the icebergs back then?

Last year the hurricanes were touted as evidence of global warming. What happened to the hurricanes this year? Not much.

Why is everything an evidence of global warming. If it gets hot, it's because of global warming. If it gets cold, it's because of global warming. Hurricanes, tsunamis, whatever. If the earth truly is getting warmer, can we say for sure it is not because of a natural cycle?

• acsot
    acsot
    This winter I am using car undercoating to seal up the whole underneath of my home. Believe me, I am all about better ways of maintaining my lifestyle without further damage to the environment.

How cold does it get where you live? And how do you apply undercoating seal to the underneath of your house? I have an old house (built in 1900) and a crawl space (dirt floor) basement.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

It is good you asked before I start my work week. (Friday, Saturday, Sunday night) I bought spray cans of undercoat at the local auto parts store. At $4 per can, this can get expensive. But for around $120 I am able to do the underside of my home. It just sprays on like paint, wear a mask unless you want to breathe in tar. And yes, my home has a crawl space under it making this an effective way of sealing tiny leaks. Also it would protect against termites and ants if you spray every inch.

I live in Kansas near Wichita.

• acsot
    acsot

Thanks for the info, Jayhawk. One more question - where exactly do you spray? the underside as well as the sides? Do you have exposed beams? I have the original (massive) beams and posts holding up the house; the previous owner had some foam insulation been sprayed along the side walls.

And thanks for the reminder about compact fluorescents. I had started changing everything over but didn't finish.

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

I thought about doing the walk...but I'd have to get out of my leather recliner and its so darn hot outside...the house is nice and crispy with the AC on high....maybe I could drive it in my SUV...it doesn't use too much more gas with the AC running....

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I didnt do the walk, but I did go shopping with my daughter and consider the food miles of everything we bought for the first time. Now I can afford to im going to buy organic and local.

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

It would take a world-wide effort to have an effect (if any). on global warming. I personally don't believe it has that much to do with carbon entities output via machines etc. This may or may not have something to do with the cyclic effects of just living here on earth. If it is caused by humans it won't stop people's greed and wants will not let it. But if we ourselves beleive it then we should be doing something about it on a personal level.

As for Al Gore I don't believe anything that Liar has to say about anything. He is one person I have absolutely no respect for. Bubba was hampered with him for two terms and I wish he would just disappear into those Tennesseean slums he owns and shut up.

• Kudra
    Kudra

Bonnie_Clyde,

The Little Ice Age decrease in temperature can be completely explained by the Maunder Minimum in sunspot activity and an increase in volcanic activity (which releases sulfate aerosols into the upper atmosphere that reflect incoming radiation).

The warming trend today can only be explained by the additional warming caused by human-caused greenhouse gasses.

Yes, the earth has always warmed and cooled. All of the previous variations in temperature can be accounted for by orbital forcing, volcanic activity and solar activity. It is only the last couple hundred years (some say couple thousand, as a result of massive agriculture -rice in Asia- and land clearing that started 5000 years ago) that we have not been able to account for the fluctuations in temperature by invoking these "natural" causes.

The discrepancy (about half of current warming) can be completely accounted for by the warming effect of greenhouse gasses that absorb and re-radiate heat back into earth's atmosphere that otherwise would escape to space.

And the scientific community is in agreement on this. Please listen to the climatologists who have found this out and not random editorial columnists who would have our country think otherwise.

-K

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I can't remember it ever being this hot in November. I have never run my home air conditioner this late in the year. (80 degrees F)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit