Is anyone going to the "Walk against (global) warming"?

by serenitynow 19 Replies latest jw friends

• serenitynow
    serenitynow

I'm planning on going to the "Walk Against Warming" tomorrow. This event is to try to make the Australian Government pay more attention to the public's concern with global warming. I am really angry we haven't ratified the Kyoto Protocol. I think it's so important we have a voice over this issue.

Apparently there are going to be events held world-wide. Is anyone else planning to go? Have you heard about it in other countries?

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Good luck with that. Instead of walking, I am working toward a total solar powered home. At this point I am about 7 years from it being a reality. Babysteps for certain.

• serenitynow
    serenitynow

Wow, that's excellent jayhwak. Are you doing it all yourself? Is that why it will take so long? I wish I could do something similar but I'm renting my house. I buy green energy and try to be sustainable with everyday living. Apart from that I figure the walk makes a contribution.

• gordon d
    gordon d

I would... but my legs rub together when I walk... and I think that would be counter-productive.

Besides, it's a little bit chilly outside.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

The reason for the baby steps is this...

Stage 1, buy a house worthy of doing this with... did that when I was 20

Stage 2, pay off said house... did that when I was 26

Stage 3, renovate heat and air to more effecient and more even heating and cooling (removed floor furnace and window airconditioner and went with central air)

Sage 4, pay off expensive central air system... did that when I was 29

Stage 5, New effecient windows and siding... installed, but not paid for yet

Stage 6, go solar... scheduled for in 5-7 years... doing research now and buying better/effecient appliances while paying for the latest remodel

I drive a 3 cylinder Geo Metro car which gets around 35 mpg for my every day car too. So I do what I can on gas consumption too. Oh, just a little tip, switch to florescent lighting if you have not done so. The savings over the old standard light bulbs is signifigant. I cut about 15% from my electricity use just by changing out every light bulb in my home. In the summer I also offset the airconditioner by using a swamp cooler. A swamp cooler is a water cooling type of fan. Plus it sounds like a waterfall and is relaxing to listen too.

This is my swamp cooler.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I almost forgot, I am also putting in a solar powered attic fan in the Spring. I bought it earlier this year, but just haven't had time to get it in. It should help remove hot air from the attic further offsetting the need for as much airconditioning.

For winterizing, I added more insulation to the attic and insulated the walls before putting on the siding. This winter I am using car undercoating to seal up the whole underneath of my home. Believe me, I am all about better ways of maintaining my lifestyle without further damage to the environment.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I must add one more thing about my swamp cooler and light bulbs. My mom and I have virtually the same electric bill each month. We compared electric bills during the summer and each month I used about $60 (US) less electricity than she did. So the swamp cooler will pay for itself in 5 Summer months. Used it for 3 months this year. I don't need it now though.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Does it include doing something about their permissive response to all the hot air being made in the door to door work?

• serenitynow
    serenitynow

I would... but my legs rub together when I walk... and I think that would be counter-productive.

Besides, it's a little bit chilly outside.
    Gordy, nothing like a bit of chafing to know you're alive! Good way to keep warm without using electricity. lol. Jayhawk, you are such a dedicated greenie - the solar project sounds awesome. I have never heard of a swamp cooler - I'm going to check it out! Thanks for the tip re fluoro bulbs. And congrats on owning a house at such a young age - well done. PS - no one has ever showed me a picture of their swamp cooler before!

• Balsam
    Balsam

We saw Al Gore "Inconvient Truth" movie and was deeply impressed with the fact that global warming is a real threat to life on this planet.

If I could walk I would but bad legs prevent that. I do all I can though to help the cause.

Balsam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit