Who has a better temperment? Rottweiller or Shih Tzu?

by kittyeatzjdubs 37 Replies latest jw friends

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I was walking my lab late one evening (on a leash) and two pit bulls show up out of nowhere. My lab jerked free before I had time to think and took both of those pit bulls on...I didn't even know he knew how to fight!!! There was a car parked nearby and I jumped up on it...and started yelling for help!!! In a few minutes, I heard a low whistle and the 2 pits turned and ran back home. I filed a complaint...the guy said he didn't own any dogs....oh, please!!! I never saw them again, but made sure I carried my pepper spray with me everytime thereafter! (They moved after a few months)

My lab would let a baby take a bone out of it's mouth and not do anything...he never once showed any tendency to fight....but I really feel that he felt that my life was at stake and put his on the line for me! Who knows what would have happened had he not been there????

Swalker

• moshe
    moshe

Shih Tzu passed with a 76.9%

but the owners temperment will tank when they find out this is one of the least trainable dog breeds and they can't learn to do their "business" outside instead of on your carpet.

• james_woods
    james_woods

OK, Rottweiler = 82.5 &. I guess that means 82.5 % "good boy".

What about the other 17.5 %?

I would much rather have a Shig Tzzyy pissed of at me than a Rottweiler, even if it happened a little more often.

That dogbert on my avatar is a crossbreed of dalmation & black labrador.

He is a good boy 100% of the time.

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs
    My lab would let a baby take a bone out of it's mouth and not do anything

That's a very good dog! I think that's even one of the tests they do when deciding if a dog is suitable for adoption at shelters. They put some food down, and use a fake hand on a pole to push the food around while the dog eats.

We made it a point to do that to Marv when he was a puppy. Whenever we would give him his food we'd put our hands in the bowl, or take it away for a minute and make him sit and stay. He's a good boy.

~luv, jojo

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

OK, Rottweiler = 82.5 &. I guess that means 82.5 % "good boy".

What about the other 17.5 %?

He is a good boy 100% of the time.

I don't think that's the percentage of time they're good. That's the percentage that passed or failed the test. ~luv, jojo

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

This seemed to be a very limited temperment test. There were only about 6 or 8 breeds on there, Labs and Golden Retrievers, which are FAMOUS for their temperments weren't even on there, not to mention Springer Spaniels, etc, etc.

I go to an off-leash park all the time and some of the NICEST dogs there are Dobermans. Back in the 70s that was the bad dog everyone was afraid of. Lots of pits there and a few Rotty's and those aren't usually the dogs that there are problems with.

Sherry

• james_woods
    james_woods

Now you are really scaring me, jojo! Are you saying that 82.5% of all Rottweilers tested pass, but that 17.5% fail?

If so, how do I know I haven't run up against one of those 17.5%?

I would have rather thought that they were all good about 82.5% of the time and that I could just hope to catch them on a good day.

But, I do see you point; it is not necessarily the breed that sets the personality. However - I have always felt it is a darn good thing that ChiHuaHua's are not bigger than they are.

PS, I guess I should come clean on Mr. Chance. He really loves to kill birds and leave them at the doorstep as little presents.

So, I guess will give him a 98% good boy.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Sorry, I can't remember which is the Rottie and which is the Shih Tzu:

alt

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

alt Mmmm....he kinda looks like a Shih Tzu to me...

PS, I guess I should come clean on Mr. Chance. He really loves to kill birds and leave them at the doorstep as little presents.

So, I guess will give him a 98% good boy.

Nahhhh! He's not bad...He just wants to share his food with you!

heehee

~luv, jojo

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

We have 2 dogs. A German Shepherd and a Pittbull/Besenji mix. They are both shelter rescue dogs. Both are considered scary breeds to some people.

My dogs have never bit my children or me, I have taught respect from day one. Respect for the animals and respect for the children.

I know pittbulls have a bad reputation, and I was leary about bringing one into my house, but I spoke with my mom who works for a major insurance company and they do get dog bites from Pitt bulls, but also from Rottweilers, Pomeranians, Cocker Spaniels, Golden Retrievers, etc.

My dogs are very well behaved and I am a super responsible pet owner. I walk my dogs for 45 minutes each day, I play with them. I discipline them. And no, I don't hit them. That is not what I mean by discipline.

I am an avid student of Cesar Milan the Dog Whisperer. I think most problems are created by the humans, not by the dogs.

I am very distrustful of little dogs now. I was bit very badly by a pomeranian on my ankle and I will have a nasty scar forever. When we were in California a few monthes ago, my son approached a man at the park with a Boston Terrier. My son asked first, and was given persmission to touch the dog. He held out his hand to let the dog sniff and when he did the dog attacked him. He had a very nasty bite on his hand. The man said his dog had never bit anyone before. Who knows if that is true. But I will take a big dog anyday over a psycho little dog.

Sorry for the ramble,

Chrystal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit