Who has a better temperment? Rottweiller or Shih Tzu?

by kittyeatzjdubs 37 Replies latest jw friends

• gordon d
    gordon d

Hey Almost... those pics are of a cross breed.. 1/2 bulldog 1/2 Shitzu... they're called bull-shitz.

Hey Kitty, If you had it your way EVERY dog in america would be spayed or nuetered.... Think about that for a second??????

I love this place!

Have you ever noticed how some people are like slinkies?
    They really don't serve any useful purpose but you still can't help but grin when they tumble down the stairs!

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs
    Hey Kitty, If you had it your way EVERY dog in america would be spayed or nuetered.... Think about that for a second??????

Yes, if I had it my way they would. Think about the hundreds of thousands of dogs that are in shelters across America b/c they were unwanted or accidental litters. I'm don't want to wipe the dog population out, just get it under control..........

..................wait............

...........dammit......

I see now...........D'OH!

ok....let me rephrase............UNLESS you are a REPUTABLE breeder who finds RESPONSIBLE homes for your pets...they must be spayed or neutered.

There....that makes more sense.

Forgive me....it's been a long day.

~luv, jojo

• morty
    morty
    Dachsund got a 66.7%........Pit Bull got a 83.5%

Well, I own a dachshund and also had a pitbull. Our pitbull ( he had been my family pet for 11 years and lived with my mom and dad) and was just put down about 3 weeks due to his bad hips, his age, and for showing his aggression.

We had one experience in 11 years with our pitbull displaying aggression and that was with my own son. Scared the hell out of him and us. He never bit, but did growl and show his teeth when my son got to close to his "space". This was the final resolution for putting the dog down.

I believe any dog can be debatable if age or the illness of a dog comes into effect. I also agree with how a dog is handled from day one and especially with the media rap a pit bull has gotten over the years, you have to be a firm owner and show that dog who is boss. They are a dog that will be aggressive if you don’t nip it in the bud right from the get go. As far as having a licence to own one in comparison to a gun licence, might not be a bad idea but a lot of folk are not going to be happy.

If any dog attacks a person no matter the breed of the dog, I believe the dog should be out down.

I sit on the fence with an opinion about the Pitbull. I have had some really good experiences with them and now, I have an unfortunate incident to add to the list. A year ago, I would have stood right behind the pit bull and said, it was the owner but now, I have a slight different opinion on it has our own family pet did show this unbeknownst attention to my son..

There were some family members that were not happy with the verdict of the family dog being put down but, family pet or not, when it becomes a threat to society and it is going to turn on it’s own family or owner, then the dog is not appropriate for a family pet anymore.

As far as our dachshund being compared to a pitbull for a temperament test , I think it is a far fetch debate. I have not heard of any dachshunds turning on it’s owner or anyone else for that matter but, this has been my experiences.

So, having made my 2 cent’s, I would pick my dachshund any day over owning another pitbull again...

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy
    No dog is ''naturally vicious'' toward any human.

Uh, sorry, no. Absolutely not true. Nope. Nuh-uh.

I don't care what some jacked-up, slanted, stupid test has to say. COMMON SENSE says otherwise.

The "scary breeds" of dogs ARE more scary (agressive, prone to bite, etc.) on average for the simple fact that they have been BRED to be scary. Thus the use of the words "breed", and "bred" when speaking of dogs in this situation. Speaking as a person who has had to deal with dogs all his life out in the country (from my own, to the all of the neighbors), I will, any day, prefer to be around a lab, dalmation, setter, or shepperd breed.

Any of the breeds that have been "bred" to be "nice" around humans and to serve them as retievers or herders, act exactly that way - they are on average, just "nice" dogs. On the other hand, any dog from a breed that is meant for fighting, has it BRED into them genetically to do just that - fight.

I don't care what the goody, goody Dog Whisperer says. He has an agenda. And that agenda is to make it seem that all dogs can be/should be saved and not put down when they bite or are aggressive. Absolute crap. ALL of the breeds that were bred to fight should be put down as a whole. We have NO use for them in a modern society. No use for rots, mastiffs, pits, etc.

I have personally had to defend myself ON MY OWN PROPERTY from a neighbors' rot. Never had to do that with any of the non-fighting breeds from any of the other neighbors. This one got a deer slug tho. And no, I didn't have a gruge against that dog, I just didn't want to die that day with a rot ripping my throat out. It isn't an issue of training, as none of the neighbor dogs are trained or have any of them ever been trained in all the 30 years I've lived here. It is however the genetic make-up of the breed, plain and simple.

In other words: big mean breed = (in its mind) can take out a human, therfore will attack said human.

Small or non-fighting breeds = (in the dogs mind) can't/don't want to take out a human, therefore won't usually try.

I now will shoot rots on sight that venture onto my property as I can't take the risk that they will attack my family. And I stand by that.

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs
    The "scary breeds" of dogs ARE more scary (agressive, prone to bite, etc.) on average for the simple fact that they have been BRED to be scary. Thus the use of the words "breed", and "bred" when speaking of dogs in this situation.

No dear, they were bred to fight bulls and other dogs in the ring. Any dog that showed aggresion toward a human was immediately put down, b/c 99.9% of the time, it wasn't the owners handling the dogs in the rings, so they had to be trusted not to bite the handler in the heat of the fight.

In other words: big mean breed = (in its mind) can take out a human, therfore will attack said human.

It sounds like you feel that every ''big mean breed'' is out to attack humans at random. I'm sorry you feel that way, but I'm not going to try to change your mind, b/c I doubt very seriously that I can. You seem to have made up your mind.

~luv, jojo

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

Also another thing to consider...

''America's first war dog was a Pit Bull named Stubby who earned several medals and the rank of sergeant for his service in W.W.I.. Stubby was wounded in action twice, he saved his entire platoon by warning them of a poison gas attack and he single handedly captured a German spy. He received a hero's welcome and was even honored at the White House. He inspired the U.S. Military K-9 Corps. He also went on to become Georgetown University's mascot.''

Here's the full story...Google him...you'll find out more...

Stubby in World War I
    World War 1 had just ended on the day that Stubby marched proudly at the head of the 102nd infantry as they passed in review before President Woodrow Wilson. Stubby was an American hero. He was also a brown-and-white American pit bull terrier. Mascot and member of the 102nd, the young dog had served his men and his country in 17 battles in France. He had saved hundreds of lives, and his loyalty and courage had inspired thousands of soldiers. Now he delighted the president with his customary salute, a paw raised ceremoniously to his face.
    Stubby was destined to become the most decorated war dog in U.S. history.

He was just a scrawny stray puppy when Private John Conroy picked him up on the campus of Yale University in 1917. The lonely young private was at Yale for training before being sent to the European front. Soon he and the pup were inseparable. When deployment orders came, Conroy managed to smuggle the patchy pup aboard the troop ship bound for France. Once aboard, Stubby quickly won the hearts of all the men of the 102nd. They even taught him to perform his trademark salute by raising his right paw to his face. When finally discovered by Conroy’s commander, the little stray was so beloved by the troops, he was allowed to stay to keep up morale.

But once in Europe, Stubby had to grow up fast. Within weeks of their arrival in the European theatre, the 102nd was under fire on the front lines in France. And it was there that the young pit bull began to really prove his mettle.

Stubby reached the trenches of the front line in February 1918, in the midst of a horrific battle. Although the dog was never trained to cope with such nightmarish conditions, he calmly endured a mounting barrage of shelling for the first 30 days. In fact, Stubby’s caretakers were amazed by his cool under fire, and absolutely stunned when he voluntarily ventured out into the battle zone to seek out and comfort wounded soldiers caught in the crossfire. News of the little dog’s heroism and fidelity reached the French village of Domremy, and after the fighting subsided the women of the town presented him with a hand-sewn chamois coat, decorated with Allied flags and his name stitched in gold thread.(1)

During the next 18 months Stubby carried messages under fire, stood sentry duty, and helped paramedics find the wounded in “no man’s land”. He gave early warning of deadly gas attacks and was credited many times with saving his entire regiment. When Stubby found and helped capture a German spy who was mapping a layout of the Allied trenches, he was awarded the honorary rank of Sergeant. When seriously wounded by shrapnel, he was sent to the Red Cross hospital for surgery just like any other soldier. Once recovered, the gutsy pit bull returned to his regiment and continued to serve until November 11, 1918, the day the war ended.

Upon his return to the U.S. after the Armistice, Stubby was greeted by a wildly cheering American public. Recognition of his valor came from all directions. Named a life member of the Red Cross and the American Legion, he was awarded many medals including one by General John J. Pershing. Called to the White House several times to meet Presidents Harding and Coolidge, he led more regimental parades than any other dog in history.
    Stubby spent his final years with John Conroy, the beloved soldier who had rescued him so many years ago, until dieing of old age in 1926.

Pit bulls weren't always hated...

~luv, jojo

• whyizit
    whyizit

A lot of it depends on the owner. Having worked with pets all of my life, I can tell you that looks can be deceiving. Many people will shy away from a perfectly wonderful Rotty, just because of the way it looks. Which is a plus in having one. They are considered a protective type of dog. Yet, many an innocent by-stander has been attacked by a seemingly harmless "fluff ball", such as a Shih Tzu.

The most under-estimated biter that I have come across is the Chihuahua.

One thing I have noticed, is if someone tends to have a miserable little beast of a dog, even when they come into ownership of a different dog, it will tend to behave the same exact way as the previous one.

If they have a well-mannered dog, chances are likely the next one will be similar.

It's not necessarily the dog, or the breed of dog that I find fault with, but the owner. However, I do believe that genetics do play a part. They should not be trusted too liberally, regardless of the situation. As animals with instincts beyond outside control, all have the possibility of doing something drastic under the right circumstances.

(Point being: Never let ANY dog babysit for your 2 yr. old!) Duh!

• gordon d
    gordon d

It's not really a question of the dog's potential for aggression... it's all about the hardware in their cute little grin.

I don't think that M-80's are any more likely to blow up in someone's hand than a regular firecracker... they're outlawed becuase WHEN they DO go off accidentally, they take fingers with them.

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy
    It sounds like you feel that every ''big mean breed'' is out to attack humans at random. I'm sorry you feel that way, but I'm not going to try to change your mind, b/c I doubt very seriously that I can. You seem to have made up your mind.

You're right. You won't change my mind. My mind is made up. Having 150+ lbs of rottweiler charging you in your own yard to try to rip your throat out will do that to a person.

• james_woods
    james_woods

The most under-estimated biter that I have come across is the Chihuahua.

Absolutely true in my experience as well. I think this and the constant yapping comes from a kind of built-in insecurity.

And many people buy these for kids because they are so tiny!

On the other hand, remember that the movie 101 Dalmations came with a disclaimer at the end that said in effect "this breed may not be for kids". One thing I know about the Dal is that now about 1/5 of them are born deaf due to too much inbreeding. These (deaf) dogs are practically impossible to raise without turning mean, as they are so afraid of having somebody sneak up on them. Glad to say my cross-breed Dal did not have this problem and is very nice around people, except loving them a little too much sometimes.

Wonder if the inbreeding thing can be affecting other breeds as well?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit