A Religion of Assumptions

by Cold Steel 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

The Jehovah's Witnesses are a strange cultural phenomenon and one that has always puzzled me. Members call it "the truth" and, more boldly, "Jehovah's organization." But many of those on the outside remain dumbfounded. "How dare you?" we ask. Under what presumption do they proclaim that which they have not been told to proclaim?

My problem is that religions don't just pop into being. Jews have their Moses, Christians have Christ, the Muslims have Muhammed, the Latter-day Saints have Joseph Smith and the Seventh-Day Adventists have their Ellen G. White. Alexander Campbell believed that Christianity could be rediscovered by going back to biblical truths, but he never claimed ecclesiastical authority over his followers. How could he? Unless God actually comes to you and inspires you with a revelation, how can anyone start a church or claim divine apostolic authority?

So I read about the various leaders of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society and I wonder how they can put so much faith in a manmade organization. How would they ever know whether they were doing God's will or not unless there was some sort of communion between heaven and earth? And how can they be so sure their biblical exegesis is correct when scholars are constantly debating it?

Were I a Witness, I would have to face these tough decisions. What's particularly sad is that large groups of them want the end to come quickly and have in some cases bet the farm on the idea that they would never grow old but would live to see the triumphant return of Christ and the destruction of the wicked.

In the early church, we know Peter had divine authority, but did Paul? If he had it, did Clement? If so, when did it stop and if not, where does one draw the line? If Clement had it, did he pass it on? And how did the divine authority get from Peter and the apostles to a book publishing outfit in the United States?

• Chameleon
    Chameleon

I'm not the type to type out lengthy responses, but I will say this: JWs are to people going through life difficulties as lawyers are to ambulances. btw, I don't know if you know, but most people on here are ex-witnesses.

• hambeak
    hambeak

In my opinion as with any religion people are looking for hope in a nasty world. Some religions are more fundamental than others. As for jw's their basis is the watchtower not the bible.

btw WELCOME TO THE BOARD

• Phil
    Phil

Peter had devine authority? Hmmm!

• daystar
    daystar

The Witness Governing Body claims authority through what's called the Faithful and Discreet Slave. The FDS is a class of people who are thought to be, and think themselves to be, anointed with Christ and destined to rule with him on heaven over earth after Armageddon.

The FDS is thought to receive inspiration from Jehovah God. How, when and to what ends they do the average Witness has no idea.

So, basically they claim apostolic authority just because they say they have it.

It gets deeper than that, but I have neither the time nor the inclination to dredge back up the old paradigm in such detail.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Welcome Cold Steel,

What religion's not a religion of assumptions? Just curious.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Cold Steel: "And how can they be so sure their biblical exegesis is correct when scholars are constantly debating it?"

JWs do not become JWs because their beliefs are correct beyond any doubt (they aren't, of course, but JWs believe they are). If you check past threads that debate JW doctrine, JW defenders cannot form cogent arguments for their beliefs and must resort to name-calling, changing the subject, and other juvenile tactics to give themselves the illusion of correctness.

JWs become JWs because of the emotional high being a JW gives them. They are willing to accept superficially plausible doctrine without extensive examination because what they're really looking for is acceptance, status, and certainty, all of which JWs provide, although unfortunately these "benefits" cost JWs their personal responsibility and freedom.

• moshe
    moshe

Religion= a belief system to explain the unexplainable. People still hold onto many religious beliefs long after scientific knowledge has provided the answers.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Welcome Cold Steel. I think the GB and JWs as a whole believe that they automatically become God's organization because they do what the Bible says God wants of people. Of course we know nothing is so black and white. There is so much room for interpretation. But this is how they think. That is why they always write about "the identifying marks of true religion."

• Carmel
    Carmel

Question. -- In the Gospel of St. Matthew it is said: "Thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church."[1] What is the meaning of this verse?
    [1 Matt. 16:18.]

Answer. -- This utterance of Christ is a confirmation of the statement of Peter, when Christ asked: Whom do you believe Me to be? and Peter answered: I believe that "Thou art the Son of the living God." Then Christ said to him: "Thou art Peter"[1] -- for Cephas in Aramaic means rock -- "and upon this rock I will build My church." For the others in answer to Christ said that He was Elias, and some said John the Baptist, and some others Jeremias or one of the Prophets.[2]
    [1 It is well known that Peter's real name was Simon, but Christ called him Cephas, which corresponds to the Greek word petras, which means rock.]
    [2 Cf. Matt. 16:14-18.]

Christ wished by suggestion, or an allusion, to confirm the words of Peter; so on account of the suitability of his name, Peter, He said: "and upon this rock I will build My church," meaning, thy belief that Christ is the Son of the living God will be the foundation of the Religion of God, and upon this belief the foundation of the church of God -- which is the Law of God -- shall be established.

(Abdu'l-Baha, Some Answered Questions, p. 134)

b

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit