A Religion of Assumptions

by Cold Steel 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Sorry Rawe I was never a JW, I came here out of fascination for JWs , I started to push Mormonism , got my ass handed to me , independently had a crisis of faith and examination of my faiths claims, I used this forum as a way to explore my own doubts and questions without hitting emotional blockers and now I'm an ex -Mormon. What this site did was reveal how similar the religions were in essence , how the members used the same thinking style to remain within the faith, how each had an inner language with words used in certain ways (all variations on this is the 'TRUTH') and how exiting members shared the same emotional turmoil, loss and self discovery.

As a Mormon I used to dream of uniting the two faiths as one, I was convinced that god gathered his people into various organisations to appeal to different personality types and that each had some truth ( Mormonism had it all of course) and was a useful stepping stone toward salvation. JWs I saw as people who wanted a more extreme form of legal structure, those who wanted to be given word by word directions.

• rawe
    rawe

Hi Qcmbr,

Facinating! Very much a mirror of my experience. You might be interested to know, an Ex-Mormon returned missionary spoke at our 2013 Shun Run. He was officially excommunicated after coming out as gay. His experience with the faith, his family and coming to terms with being gay was actually very emotional to listen to. Personally it put some of the shunning I experience in perspective, that while a few JWs have chosen that path in regards to our family, at least there is acceptance in the wider community.

Take care,

-Randy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit