Why am I paralyzed with fear?

by AuldSoul 44 Replies latest members private

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Why am I paralyzed with fear?

It is very possible the fear is a memory from long ago, from an experience which traumatized you. The fear is an emotional scar, left over and unhealed since that time. Burying feelings, repressing the experience, can be a healthy thing in that it allows us to survive the initial event. But once we find a safe place, that coping skill of repression works against us and begins to harm.

It has been my experience that big feelings (anger, fear, shame for instance) only become bigger if ignored or untreated. Attempts at self-medicating the pain through drugs or alcohol only exacerbates the problem, again making the initial emotional event that much bigger.

It's completely irrational. I am terrified I will disappoint myself. So, I am paralyzed.

Fear of success battling fear of failure? If so, that's real inertia.

As impossibly difficult as it feels, doing rather than staying in your head will help get you out of the trap. Yes it feels big, but it is a feeling, perhaps even a memory, not reality.

Which will guarantee I will disappoint myself, which will make the terror real

Terror. This is a big clue pointing toward something else. Fear of failure is not terror; panic perhaps but terror is a word that introduces something outside of you. Terror is what we would feel being chased and hurt or seeing something hideous.

I also find the word guarantee interesting. It sounds like a setup. As if you want to break out, but the feeling of staying in your head, living with this long time fear is not so much comfortable as familiar. So the fear of the fear itself (and perhaps the event behind the fear) leads you to set yourself up to fail. But I also sense you want very badly to get past it, so there's that inertia again. This is a stage people are stuck at before they enter recovery. It takes more than 51% desire to get out.

But it feels more normal to be disappointed with myself than it does to be pleased with myself, even though that makes no sense whatsoever.

Yes it makes perfect sense. Again, it's not "normal", as it is familiar. You've gotten used to having this horrible feeling. Kind of like someone who has a massive 200 pound tumor. They never thought it would get that big, but gradually it grew and they never sought treatment to have it removed. And then one day they saw how big it had become but it was now part of their life. But it still grew bigger. But they either have to face it, get help and have it removed, or it will destroy them. Same with you.

Despite being able to rationally analyze all of this, and tell myself that I am worried about nothing, and that I will be able to find work without any problem, and that I can make friends...I remain paralyzed with fear. What IS that? And why do I have it?

You can't get out by yourself. Nor can you get by rational Vulcan-like logic. You've got to get your hands dirty. This is emotion. You're more comfortable using logic and rational thought. Why? Because it's easier and because the emotional side is being consumed by this fear tumor that is growing exponentially.

Finding a competent therapist is an absolute paramount for you. You need a guide, someone to help you identify the original event that gave you terror, then they must help you face that terror (as you re-experience it) and then help you past it. That is what real therapy is about. It sucks and it's painful, but it is an absolute necessity for you. You've got a lot of words to say, and you need to say them to someone who is trained to help you pin those words to the proper emotional place so you can move on.

You never really finish recovery; it's a lifetime process. But you'll find that as you move forward, you'll be the same except different.

Chris

• Scully
    Scully

Despite being able to rationally analyze all of this, and tell myself that I am worried about nothing, and that I will be able to find work without any problem, and that I can make friends...I remain paralyzed with fear. What IS that? And why do I have it?

As BabaYaga already mentioned, the WTS - as do other cults - is highly adept at implanting irrational fears in our subconscious. It's almost like there's elevator muzak piped in to our subconscious - we can tune it out when we are busy doing other things, and the elevator ride is part of a routine from one place to another. But if we got stuck in that elevator, alone, then it's a long-term part of our environment - it's all that we would be hearing, so of course it's going to play a prominent role in that scenario.

The basic message we had planted into the JW/cult part of our brain was this: If we leave The Truth™, then XYZ (all bad stuff) will happen to us. While things are going well during our exit process, it is possible to ignore those niggling negative subconscious thoughts that tell us that all these bad things will happen. But when something bad happens, all of a sudden we start paying attention to those negative subconscious thoughts, and they become louder and more influential on a subconscious level.

The thing is, all kinds of people lose their jobs.... not just ex-JWs. They also find new jobs, without becoming JWs. It takes time and effort, but it will happen. It won't happen if you do nothing, though. Don't turn your fears into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Lots of people have difficulty making friends - not just ex-JWs. That's why non-JW people make use of organizations, clubs and services that allow them to develop their personal interests - so they can meet people who share the same interests as they do. You are a non-JW now, so maybe that's something you need to start exploring. Being a JW, we were promised "instant" Friends™ - they can turn the friendship on and off like a lightswitch though. That's not real friendship, because it does not require anything other than cult affiliation in common. That's the only bond that holds most JW "friendships" together. Real friendships require time, effort and cultivation. It's not easy. It sometimes takes a long time to develop real friends - we're at a disadvantage because we've been conditioned by the JWs form of friendship to expect that it will be easy and instant to make new friends. We didn't have an opportunity to learn how to make and be real friends with people.

I spent 3 years in Nursing School - and had tons of friends in my class. We've all gone our separate ways, and there's 3 former classmates I keep in touch with since graduation. I've been working with the same people for over 8 years - and it's only been in the last 2 years or so that I've really felt like I was part of the social network that exists within my working group. We've lived in the same place for almost as long, and it's only been in the last few years that I've felt comfortable chit chatting with the neighbours. It takes time, and it probably takes me longer because I'm shy and reserved and private. Had it not been for my family and JWD friends, I probably would have been excruciatingly lonely.

I really feel for you AuldSoul... I have an inkling of what you're experiencing... I know it's not fun. Maybe a visit to your doctor is in order. Sometimes the first signs of clinical depression are similar to what you are describing. Please get it checked... there are things your doctor can recommend for you.

Hang in there, AuldFriend.

• My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW
    My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW

Fear is the absence of faith. Faith and hope will help you to walk through fear.

I was paralyzed with fear about 6 years ago when I had financial problems as a result of a business contract going south. Lost about $40,000. Had to completely reorganize/redo my business. My main coping skills at that critical time were to worry and to consume massive quantities of alcohol and try to figure out what the hell to do. My best thinking got me nowhere. When I reached out and asked for help (professional) I was able to get back on track fairly quickly. Paralyzing fear happens to JW's and nonJW's alike.

Keep asking for help!

• bebu
    bebu

Brandon, one thing that I learned about why people will often sabotage their own success... because it's less painful than experiencing utter failure.

IOW, it would be easier to live with the sabotage than to risk finding out that one really is incompetent. For example, it is easier for people to stay fat and having a reason for not having a relationship, than to lose weight and be excuse-less. Sabotaging gives people an excuse for failure. If you really try your best and still fail, then it reflects on YOU... and that is too painful of a risk. Sabotage is protective.

A little gestalt could help you:

Ask yourself, what would be so bad if XXX happened? (Answer=y)

.... And if y happened, why would that be so terrible? (Answer=z)

...And if z happened, ... etc.

Get it all down to a fine, fine point. (Hard to imagine that our real foundations are not broad, but more like points.) Then look at your answer. Is it logical? If this were someone else, would it also apply to them? Is it what you really believe, or just a feeling? If it isn't what you believe, then it has to be replaced. Focus on what is true.

2 more cents. And another hug.

bebu

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

(((( AuldSoul)))) The "terror" sounds to me like anxiety. A very real disorder that interferes with every aspect of ones life. The good news is it can be dealt with with the help of your doctor.. who will likely Rx an SSRI - antidepressant that can also help anxiety - or an anti-anxiety Rx. Combined with Psych work, or your own self-help work, it can make all the difference in the world for you.

With the anxiety at bay, then you can work on the core issues, move forward without the frozen fear of making ANY move. (Been there, done that). You may not have to continue any kind of drug therapy once you get to the core and comfortable with the results.

I wasn't raised to be successful. I was raised to grow up, get married to a good JW, and raise babies. Being pulled out of HS in 1973 to go into the ministry helped reinforce my "worth". I spent many years working my arse off proving myself worthy of anything, and especially learning to be worthy of success, love, friendship, etc.

Simply put - It is ok, and it is going to be ok.

Hugs

Brenda

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    If you don't try, you can keep telling yourself that you CAN do it, you CAN be successful if you just try. But you don't try.... so you CAN'T fail.You are more afraid to fail than you want to admit, and therefore you are stuck in the place where you reassure yourself of your success, but don't actually set the wheels in motion. Because if you were to fail, you're afraid that you wouldn't be able to handle it.

Don't forget the Homer (Simpson) -ism: "The first step to failure is to try."

And the every-lovin' Yoda: "Either do, or do not -- there is no try."

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

(((((AS)))))

I can relate to your feelings -- probably more than you think.

First of all I'd like to express my admiration about the depth of insight and advice you have been receiving here so far, from a number of different yet complementary angles. Each post is worth being read and re-read -- and acted on, at least tentatively.

Fwiw I'd focus on your questions:

WhatIS that?

As you wrote yourself: that is "nothing". The kind of "no-thing" which is the paradoxical object of anxiety (angoisse, Angst) and differs from any definable "thing" causing simple fear. A "no-thing" that everyone has to deal with maybe, as it is the ground and abyss of subjective existence -- but only some, at some stage in their lives, have to deal with consciously.

And why do I have it?

Looking for a cause may be helpful in some cases (and you can find a number of causes, as were suggested -- chemical, genetical, historical...). But if you are coping with anxiety as I defined above then it's the very causelessness you have to deal with.

I remember a movie by Nanni Moretti where he describes an unexplainable illness he really had -- went to a number of doctors and therapists, and at some points receives the well-meaning advice: "You have nothing really, it's up to you to step out of your condition." And he replies right away: "If it's up to me I'm lost."

Quoting the Bible for a change, I like the way Jesus substitutes a what-for answer to a why question in John 9:

As he walked along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?" Jesus answered, "Neither this man nor his parents sinned; he was born blind so that God's works might be revealed in him.

The disciples were looking for a cause upstream of the symptom. Jesus answer with a purpose downstream.

Perhaps this is the essence of faith -- looking forward to what will result from your condition (even though you cannot see or know it). As several have testified, what you already have suffered made you helpful to them. There is a lot of suffering (usually lonely and silent suffering) behind any helpful person or advice. What you are suffering will help others. As Paul put it: "We do not live to ourselves, and we do not die to ourselves." From this standpoint I believe in vicarious suffering -- not once and for all but everywhere and as long as mankind lasts.

Cioran, perhaps the most Christian of atheists, once wrote something to that effect (quoting from approximate memory): "I like to think I'm suffering consciously on behalf of those who are suffering unconsciously."

Anxiety is a nightmare from which we simply wake up someday -- and when we do it feels unreal and we wonder how it can have overwhelmed and paralysed us as it did. People and events will wake you up, I'm sure about that. Meanwhile I'm talking to the dreamer dreaming, because I believe the dream itself, bad as it may be, is worth dealing with for its own sake.

Sincerely yours,

Didier

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Brandon you're going to have to go to see a psychologist and explain your symptoms. The "fear of fear" sounds like agoraphobia, but I can't make a diagnosis or treat it. You have got to go in.

Sounds like you're going into a burning fire doesn't it? But, YOU HAVE TO GO IN!

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I have no words to adequately express how much I appreciate your answers.

Didier: Each post is worth being read and re-read

I came to the same conclusion.

((((underbeliever)))) I posted that in the hopes that some one person might be helped by knowing somebody else was there, once. I don't want to ever go back to that dark corner again. I took no offence to your recommendation, in fact that is what I recommended in that thread back in May.

I have been under the care of a state-run clinic (no choice). I get medications, a 1-hour psychotherapy session once a month, and a psychiatrist's appointment every two months (to check the effectiveness of the meds).

The first thirty minutes of the psychotherapy session is spent reminding my therapist who I am. Then we have about 15 minutes of suggestions and banter. Then about 15 minutes of taking care of this bit and that bit of paperwork (state-run facilities are paper driven). The fellow is likable enough, and means well, and the only other option is no better (from what I have seen of him, probably worse).

So, here's a Catch-22 for you: Someone needs to hold down a job with good benefits or good pay --> in order to get adequate therapeutic care --> to make them capable of holding down a job with good benefits or good pay.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    So, here's a Catch-22 for you: Someone needs to hold down a job with good benefits or good pay --> in order to get adequate therapeutic care --> to make them capable of holding down a job with good benefits or good pay.

Well, if you don't take care of yourself, you won't be able to take care of yourself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit