1874 a date the Lord chose?

by lovelylil 97 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• freyd
    freyd

Well that's not true. How about Matt 24:45

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Freyd,

That verse in Matthew is simply asking "Who is that servant?" but does not say WHO it is. You BS apply this to Russell and the JW's to the governing body. But as I pointed out to you the date 1874 is faulty and Christ did not arrive and therefore NO servant has been appointed yet. It is Christ who has to appoint that servant in charge of all his belongings, not anyone else.

Since Russell borrowed that date 1874 from Barbour - he has no special knowledge over any other Christian

You really should get that book "captives of a concept", you are repeating the same error that got you into the WT.

That being said, I will stop here with you too. All can read our posts and make up their own minds. Since you are happy believing you have the only truth and that you need to be loyal to Russell, you should continue in that. When Christ arrives he will decide who is who and what position they will be in. Until then - please do not adopt the same arrogant attitude as RR who thinks as a BS elder he has the right to tell someone they will be a "justified one" rather then an "heir with Christ".

With all the years of my JW and BS contact, I have never met anyone as arrogant as RR is. But you Freyd seem like a nice person and at least you gave it your best to try to answer my questions. Good night to you, Lilly

• freyd
    freyd

Appreciate your understanding, Lil. While it's true that dubs say that Matt 24:45 applies to the GB, it just shows now far they have drifted from Truth when their own founder, JF Rutherfraud said that CTR was the FWS and yet while they claim CTR was the JW founder, the R&F are strongly discouraged from reading what he wrote that's in the KH libraries. The Studies in the Scriptures are looked upon like relics much the way Catholics view the Bible. In both cases there is a self-appointed counterfeit priesthood that must be given total allegiance to the extent that neither claim inspiration but must be treated as infallible. The problem is that Matt 24:45 refers to an end time individual, not a group of priests, pope or GB.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

freyd,

Some good points. I agree with most of them.

I'd like to give you some of my background. A year before leaving the WT- I felt that Christ was calling me out of the org. I began seeing the scriptures in a whole new way. I studied the bible for a year and prayed for Holy Spirit to understand it better. I began to see God's plan for mankind and how the ransom is for all. I did not understand why I was suddenly seeing these things.

After a while, I wanted to partake at the memorial. I felt deep inside my heart that this is what I was supposed to do. And my heart and mind were set on heavenly things and not earthly. Anyway, my hubby and friends thought I was crazy. They all insisted the ransom was only for JWs and no one else would benefit from the kingdom. And that there was no way I was "anointed". When I persisted and told my hubby I wanted to leave the org. he threatened to divorce me.

I left anyway as they wanted to DF me and continued to trust in Christ. In one single day I lost all my friends of the past 12 years and had to begin my life all over again.

About 6 months later I began a research of the WT organization and went all the way back to Russell. This is how I found out the BS were still in existance. I then accidently came across some BS in CT and was told about the SIS books and the story of Russell. When I read the Divine Plan of the Ages I was so relieved to see that I was not crazy and that other Christians saw the same thing (divine plan) in the bible that I did.

I then studied for another year everything Russell wrote. I agree with some but disagree with many of the major doctrines that BS still hold in common with JWs. I checked everything and then had to decide for myself what to believe. I've left it in Christ's hands to decide whether I have made the right choices.

for me personally it is better to err on the side of caution and not to beleive in something I am not totally convinced of. And I will not study intepretations of scripture (books) any more as the first time it did not work out well. And the bible is all I believe I need. Christ got me this far and will see me the rest of the way. I am not like those who say Russell taught them the truth and they are loyal to him because of that. I know that people learn from Holy Spirit, I am living proof of that. Its fine if Christians teach new ones but we must make sure we don't then put all our trust in them. For they are not Christ and can make mistakes.

One thing that I think Russell should have done better was to help people become strong in Christ on their own two feet and not let them stay dependent on him and his books.

But I know for sure I am "in Christ" and partake at the memorial. And it greatly pains me to see brother judging brother and telling them they are not in christ and will not be heavenly heirs with him. That is not up to you or I nor any other believer in Christ to decide. It is very arrogant to do so.

While we disagree in some things and are strong in our opinions I readily accept you, steam and RR as brothers in the faith. Unfortunatley I have found out most BS will not accept me as a sister in the faith unless I believe in everything they believe in. And sadly I have had to break off contact with most of my CT bible student friends because of it.

My personal beliefs on Russell is that he was a good guy, servant of Christ, believed the common teachings that others upheld at his time but that he is no special channel to the Lord. And that every Christian in the body of Christ is given Holy Spirit to help teach them the truth and advance in the faith. And our faith does not depend on our belonging to any one group. Peace, Lilly

• freyd
    freyd

"Some never see great truths with the same clearness and fulness as others do, and yet are following on, their hearts leading more rapidly that their reasoning.......Those facts stand, regardless of whether they are connected with one Covenant or another Covenant or no Covenant. You and I dear reader, believed in the death of Christ as our redemption price before we had any knowledge of Covenants. We were justified by faith in the precious blood, and not by our knowledge or ignorance of the Covenants, nor by our understanding of the philosophy of the Ransom and the Atonement." What Pastor Russell Taught p7

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

freyd,

I've sent you a pm. Lilly

• james_woods
    james_woods

This is pretty hypocritical, friends - get this from RR on Russell and the dates -

Did things always pan out the way he believed they would? No, and he admitted to those mistakes. That doesn't mean the dates were wrong, only what was expected.

For a prophesy to come true, what has been prophesied has to take place. For the crying out loud - of course certain historical events took place in 1874, 1876, and each and every year you want to pick. What Russell prophesied was the literal coming of Christ and the end of this system of things. It didn't happen.

Saying well, he was right about the date, but he just didn't know what was going to happen on that date is horse droppings. It's like saying 1956 was the right year, except that I thought the Andrea Doria would make it to New York. Pretty pathetic, eh?

Has anyone stopped to think how long ago either 1844 or 1874 really was? What possible context does some failed prophecy that far back in the past have for things now in 2006? I defy anybody to locate a single living person who was even alive back in 1874. So, what is the point of arguing for or against such an ancient date - no matter what kooky "heavenly" event you have manufactured to cover Russell's backside.

I say we would all serve ourselves (and others) well to forget about stupid dates that have proven to be falsehoods, and get on with the serious principles of religious belief. This kind of junk just undermines whatever other good is there to be found in a belief system.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

James,

You are priceless my friend. You had me laughing my arse off on two threads today. As you can see on this one - we got a lot accomplished. But like Steam said on the "divine chart" thread, we have to wait for what....... 200 more years to see if the BS are right?

So, when the time comes please wake me up from my grave so I can have the privelage of RR and Steam teaching me how Russell was right all along. I surely don't want to miss out on the fine teachings of ones who called us "rifraft" and "spiritually blind". Oh, I can see the joy already! Lilly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit