1874 a date the Lord chose?

by lovelylil 97 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

This interesting statement was made on a bible student forum and sent to me by one of my friends. I have copied it the same way he sent it to me. Here a BS is explaining how the Lord himself chose the date 1874 as his "invisible return".

"We didn't choose the year 1874 the Lord did. We believe it is firmly established in scripture and while the scriptures do not tell us "The Lord returned in 1874" (for that matter the scriptures do not tell us any dates) one can arrive at the date using certain scriptual formulas. Simply read volume 2 of Studies in the Scriptures".

Did you get that? If not let me recap.

1. The Lord himself chose the date 1874

2. This date is firmly established in scripture

3. The date 1874 is not mentioned in the bible (scripture) nor any other date for that matter

4. You can get this date by using certain scriptual formulas

5. To find these formulas you must read the Studies in the scriptures chapter 2.

I will refrain from giving my comments until I see what others think about this. Lilly

• zeroday
    zeroday
    "We didn't choose the year 1874 the Lord did.

Well, there in lies the problem. Man has been looking to a diety from their founding. When they could not find one they invented one. Actually many. So to say the LORD chose the year is to suppose said Lord exists. I myself do not believe that. So there is no LORD to chose anything. We are just a cosmic experiment. With no diety around to influence anything.

• Donnalilly
    Donnalilly

the date is not in the Bible, but in a manmade book by the BS. so that says it all. russes was not , is not God. he was only a man like all of us, except dead now of course

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Some things that struck me when I was reading this quote were that for one thing this person seems to be contradicting him/herself. First they say matter of factly that the Lord picked the date but then say this date is indeed not in the bible. So are we to believe that the date of the Lord's return was given to people thousands of years after the bible was written but yet was never given to the Apostles who walked with Jesus on earth to record for us in the bible? How could the date even be considered biblical if it is not in the bible?

The second thing that struck me was that the poster admits that you have to use Russell's biblical calculations to arrive at this date - and this really smacked of the WT to me. We all know that when we used the WT's number calculations on things it "seemed" to make sense but now most of us have found that these calculations were made by simply stringing together bible verses that do not belong strung together. So I ask if the dates are biblical, why can we not arrive at them unless we use another book written by Russell to interpret the date? Does this person not consider the bible complete and thus it is necessary for another book? I'd like someone to show me if they can what scriptures justify stringing together the bible verses that Russell picked to back up his theory.

Also, I would like to say that I personally have read the Vol. 2 that this poster mentions and found that the truth really is that the only way anyone would link together the scriptures that Russell linked together is by reading his book. Again, what is the justification for doing this? By reading the bible itself you cannot come to the same conclusion. Therefore I think it safe to say that this date 1874 is a man made idea and not from our Lord Jesus.

Another thing I would like to point out is that the poster seems well intentioned but I picked up immediately on the fact that apparently this BS feels the same way about Russell as the JW's feel about the WT society. I know Russell does represent the FDS to them and therefore he cannot ever be wrong in their eyes. So he gives the date 1874 by putting together verses he is pulling out of context and he cannot be wrong for he is the FDS and has special insight. Also apparently only those really "in the truth" can understand this insight. Even though the Lord Jesus said when he arrived all would "see it" at the same time. He specifically warns against saying that he came in a "secret" manner. (see Matthew 24)

I'm well aware too of Russell's other teaching that although the Lord did say "we do not need to know the date or time" (of his arrival) Russell adds in his books (But, the Lord did not say we will never know) - this is very similiar to WT thinking and we are all well accustomed to seeing these ().

For most Christians the Lord saying "you do not need to know" is plain and simple and we do not read anything else into it. It seems like a clear statement of fact itself. Anything else is purely speculative. Of course if they don't know anything "special" about the Lord's arrival that would place them on equal footing with all the other churches and Christian beleif systems wouldn't it? Any other thoughts on this? Lilly

• james_woods
    james_woods

There is also the embarrasing reality that Russell did not think this up himself at all.

It was a Millerite (7th day Adventist) false prophecy to cover up the fact that they thought the end was coming in 1844 (yes - 1844!!!). When nothing happened, they said 1844 was an "invisible coming" and the "real end" was to be 1874. (Does any of this sound familiar?)

Later, the learned Pastor Russell taught that Jesus really came in 1874, but the "real end" would be 1914. All based on solid bible chronology.

Well, also based a little on the measurements of the great Pyramid of Giza...whatever.

When that didn't happen, he said that Jesus came "invisibly" in 1914, but the real end would be in 1918...and so on and on.

At least the 7th day Adventists kind of quit this nonsense long before 1975.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

James,

Thats true what you said. I don't think modern day BS realize that Russell did not preach the Lords "invisible" return in 1874 but rather that the Lord would return visibly (like other churches teach). When Jesus did not arrive according to his date 1874 - Russell only then stated that while he got the date right, he got the manner of the return wrong and then borrowed the invisible return teaching. Like you said it was an adventist teaching first.

Also on other threads the question has been raised time and time again with no response by BS about Russell's dates and the pyramid. They claim Russell had the date 1874 prior to going to the pyramids and using the measurements to come up with the date 1874 but yet they do not offer any reference to prove this that can be verified.

Thanks again for your input. Lilly

• james_woods
    james_woods

Indeed, Lil - very few of the JW of today know that their roots really came from the 7th day adventists. In turn, very few 7th day adventists of today know that the JWs are a sort of splinter group from before the turn of the last century (and splintered off due to failed 7th day adventism prophecy).

Isn't it amazing that while the 7th Day Adventists have fixated on "Saturday as the Sabbath", and made that to be the end-all purpose of Christian Religion - so have the Witnesses sort of done the same thing with "Blood Transfusions" -and with not a bit of scriptural basis in either case.

And so now these second cousins of apocylptic religion hate each other about as much as the Sunni and the Shiites.

Makes a great deal of sense, doesn't it?

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

James,

I never heard that stated before. What a great observation. When I left the tower I associated briefly (less than a year) with a BS group and also had been in contact with an adventist in my area. The similarities of these three groups is uncanny. They all teach that you cannot get the proper understanding of scripture unless you are in touch with the Lord's special channel. Each group claims to be the only channel, either themselves or the one whom they follow at the head of their group. Other churches do this as well but these groups have other things in common too (Jesus is Michael the archangel, only a select few are in the new covenant, invisible presence, no trinity)

I find it fascinating too that some JWs leave the tower and go to the Bible student movement. Of course I can see why as they are so afraid of main stream churches and the BS use much of the same lingo as the WT. But I'll reserve that for another thread. Anyway, the fact that they are so similiar is what helped me break away from the BS a lot sooner than I did from the WT. I was easily able to see how much they stick to Russell's books for their bible interpretation and having already gone down that road with the "society", I knew the outcome already. I wanted more substance and thus went to the Lord himself. Best decision of my life.

I read an article once that traced all three of these groups to the Puritans. Have you heard this before? Peace, Lilly

• james_woods
    james_woods

Careful, Lilly - those Puritans might burn you as a Witch if you act like you know to much!

No, I had not heard a linkage between early 7th dayers and Puritanism, but I could sure believe it might be so. Maybe some great historian here (Blondie?) could document this...

Actually, you and I could probably do a little research on it ourselves!

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

James,

I know they can be traced to the adventists which is from the Millerites. I'll see if I can trace them back further. If you find anything, please let me know. Also, maybe someone else (like Blondie) can help. Lilly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit