"Whatever."

by bebu 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• bebu
    bebu

Just a few minutes back, a middle-aged woman and a young teenage girl were on my doorstep. The new tract was being delivered!

I looked thru the screen door at it and said I did not want it, as I already knew what it might contain. I also said I knew that there were a lot of trouble with the witnesses' religion. The mother said, "Really? Like what?" And I said, "Well, for one thing there is a long list of prophecies that did not come true."

She shook her head, smiled and said, "I know that what you read is not false prophecy. 100% of what we have written has come true."

I said, "You wouldn't be standing on my step if you thought they were false prophets. But in the late 1800s there were prophecies made, in print, and they are available still. And at the beginning of last century, there were more prophecies about the end of the world, which are still in print, and these are also available still. You can check out whether my claim is true or not."

Oooo, she was not happy, and did not want her daughter to hear these things. She rolled her eyes and said with dripping sarcasm, "Whatever." And they left.

Such a fine 'lover of truth'! And I feel sorry for that girl...

I regret that I did not add, "If what you are handing out is true, and I am wrong, isn't it your responsibility to show me how I am wrong? If you looked it up and explained away my mistakes adequately, you might help convert me. But until I understand an acceptable explanation for what I've read, I refuse to listen to what is a false prophet."

bebu

"Still in my bathrobe cause it's Saturday am" class

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Good response Bebu, and I'm not surprised she didn't have much to say to you. Most people on this board, even ones who have never been jws, know far more of their history than they do, and the wts wants to keep it that way. I doubt the advice to check what you said out in print will be followed, somehow.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

If she really cared about your life and did not want to become "bloodguilty" she surely would have tried to help you to understand how she can overlook the false prophecies........or at least listen to you .......ask questions..........what a judgemental comment.

I guess she decided you were a goat.

purps

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

What a fine Christian example!!!! I hear "whatever" from my daughter when she is feeling froggy!!

shelley (from the "staying in my pj's all weekend" class)

• Dr Zhivago
    Dr Zhivago

I guess they don't use the "Reasoning from the Scriptures" book anymore. *insert sarcasm* It was supposed to help the JWs overcome ANY objection. And I don't remember "whatever" being the answer for anything.

DrZ

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    And I don't remember "whatever" being the answer for anything.

LOL

funny

purps

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Bebu,

Great job!! Most likely she went back to the car group ranting about your claim!! Who knows if she will look into it or not, but you never know who she may or may have told about what you said that may make them think. Perhaps their loved one has been trying to tell them the same thing. You never know who you may have helped!! Remember you are planting seeds, seeds of "truth"!! Thank you for setting a fine example for the rest of us..may we all take advantage of our situations like that!!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I think that "Whatever" is listed under "reasonable conversation stoppers" for their use.

Those lovable witnesses are out spreading joy again.

W.Once

• Ade
    Ade

lol obviously no answers for failed prophecies in "treasoning from the scriptures"

Ade

• bebu
    bebu
    I guess she decided you were a goat.

I thought of that too! Wonder of the bathrobe wasn't helping with the assessment...

Hopefully, in a few years that girl might get curious about what I said.

bebu

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit