Comments You Will Not Hear at the 10-29-06 WT Study (REJOICE WIFE)

by blondie 31 Replies latest watchtower bible

• enlightenedcynic
    enlightenedcynic

Blondie,

Thanks again for breaking down all that "spiritual food" for us and showing it to be the utter nonsense that it is. Here is something that I have often wondered about....the wts puts out these study articles on the family and marriage every year pretty much, same ole' advice/counsel. While infidelity is a big problem in the jw community, spousal abuse is just as big of a problem(I personally know of two wives in my hall who are being or have been beaten by their husbands). Why no articles about how wrong that is and how there is no place for that type of behavior in the congregation? Oh yeah, I forgot...that topic is strictly for the pages of the Awake, not the Watchtower which is supposedly food prepared mainly for the r&f.

ec

• Jez
    Jez
    Consider how a Christian whom we will call Mary got caught in a situation that brought her dangerously close to committing sexual immorality. Her husband, who is not one of Jehovah's Witnesses, displayed very little affection for his family.

Mary! Ummm, sounds made up to me. How do they find these stories? Another example of how they give themselves whatever 'creative license' they want....because they don't even use real names! There is never a way to verify any of these 'real life experiences'.

Another thing, the husband displayed very little affection for his family. This is HIS problem and yet she has to stay and suffer, regardless of the situation at home. Notice, her situation at home doesn't improve at all, she just learns how to shut up and put up with it.

Exactly what the elders told me to do, when after 14 years of silence, I told them the truth about my abusive husband. I was to learn how to put up with it and 'trust in Jehovah' more. One elder even said, "Come on, we have sisters right here in our congregation that have learned how to live with alcoholic husbands!" At that point, I kicked them out of my house.

Over it, but articles like this, can still piss me off. Jez

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

Just want to say that every week I read these posts and enjoy knowing what is being studied and really appreciate the work involved. This week my mother rang me straight after the meeting to tell me about the WT and how 'brilliant' it was. She wanted to bring me over a copy.

It felt so good to say I'd seen the article and just point out one or two things that I was not happy about. Took the wind right out of her sails! Probably she thinks I'm secretly studying but I can live with that!

But what a load of bull this week. Worse than usual. I'm just grateful I only have to imagine the pictures

Poppy

• M.J.
    M.J.

Umm. I actually thought this particular study was fine, as far as Biblical topics go. I thought it was presented as a valid scriptural viewpoint of the topic discussed. Not a bunch of self-inflating crap by the WTS as is generally the case.

• blondie
    blondie

MJ, I'm willing to bet you are a man.

Blondie

• M.J.
    M.J.

No offense at all intended to you or to your work here, Blondie.

But my point is that I just didn't think that it veered off-track, scripturally speaking. It could have been a sermon from any Bible-believing group. I was not addressing the practical implications of it all or the merit of the Biblical viewpoints themselves.

I personally view women as equals (and a great many of them greater than me), and I don't think you'll find any of my comments have ever suggested otherwise. But I don't think they stepped out of their parameters as a group that states they follow Biblical teachings.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Bill Clinton :" I did not have sex with that woman charming mountain goat".

DB74

• Jez
    Jez
    I personally view women as equals (and a great many of them greater than me), and I don't think you'll find any of my comments have ever suggested otherwise. But I don't think they stepped out of their parameters as a group that states they follow Biblical teachings.

To even say that you view women as equals insinuates that you (men) have the power to bestow upon women either your acceptance or rejection as equals. I am not picking at you, don't even know you, I just wish men would stop saying that now.

So, um, thanks but no thanks. Jez

• M.J.
    M.J.

My fault for stepping in that hornets nest!

• Jez
    Jez

Oh, so now you are calling me a buzzing irritating bee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding. Jez

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit