for those who were abused sexually or know of someone who was

by Sam87 23 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Sam87
    Sam87

did it get dealt with at all? are the offenders still out there ? have they been dealt with by the law? i was just wondering because sooo many of them get away, if you were offended did you take it into your own hands and bypass the elders and go to the police? if not is it too late now?

I know alot of the bastards get away because no elders have the guts to do their bloody job and it sickens me, my best mates family had trouble with a sicko like that and i cant beleive the way people knew but it didnt worry them what he did, i mean like familys and mothers would talk to him, (im pretty sure they knew what happened).

Sam87.

• Sam87
    Sam87

Just one last thing too, if they didnt get dealt with by the law is it too late to try and get them charged for what they did years ago? I know of one of my mates that was abused and he didnt even know if it got handed over to the police by the elders!!!!

Sam87.

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

Hello Over the years we have seen many cases of this and alot are covered over and the victims are fearful of coming forward because of Watchtower policy and the victims fearing they will be shamed further. If you want to learn how widespread this problem is go to www.silentlambs.com and read about victims experiences and the corrupt way the Watchtower handles matters. We tried to get the society for 12 years to handle this but they failed my wife miserably to the point of making promises to go to court to support her and then ,probably from advice from the societies legal department, they phoned up and said they cannot support her any more. This was possibly because she actually went to the police ,and the case is waiting assesment for a full court session by the Department of Public Prosecutions. The society may pretend they care but they don't as can be seen and if Elders know of a pedophile in their congregation they WILL NOT let the brothers know. As only 2 or 3 elders are needed for a committee case not all elders in the congregation may know that they have a pedophile in their congregation ,so how can they properly protect the children ? If you know someone who has been molested try and be kind and understanding and support them ,learn as much as you can about how the society handles things and encourage them to come forward to the police for they are a victim of crime and their perpetrator must be stopped. PM me if you want to know more Steve

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I was molested by my stepdad, who was and is, a MS, for many years. No, it didn't get handled!! It was swept under the rug. There wasn't the 2 witnesses. Recently, I called an elder, Roger Seymour, Moberly, MO, that lives where I'm from, and told him. He didn't know what to say. Told me I "needed to get right with Jehovah". Years back I tried to press charges. There's a statue of limitations here in Missouri.

About 15 years ago he remarried in Orange County, CA. I called Child Protective Services out there and told them what he did to me. But since had 2 young daughters, I had to be sure they were safe. After they talked to everyone, that marriage soon failed. He's remarried now, and lives in San Marcos, CA.

shelley

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

FACT: the elders do not go to the police. Your friend should - their abuser might still be hurting kids. Your friend should consider their responsibility to anybody else who is being hurt the way they were, and they'll find that they are able to deal with it better too, when it's been taken care of the way it always should have been. It's possible that somebody else out there has reported the abuser to the police but they police didn't have enough evidence to make a decent case. The more people who speak out against the abuser, the safer the community gets.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

so many questions and I have a few answers

did it get dealt with at all?

ages 7-8 pre-JW.

• The police were called in 2 cases. In one case he went to jail and in the other I don't know what happened or if he was ever caught

ages 8-11 also pre JW

• two of them I never told anyone
    • the third was my father - I went to the police station and reported him. He was arrested - lost custody of my 3 brothers and myself - got a $50 fine and a 30yr suspended sentence

ages 11-12 after my mother started studying with the JW

• 1 was caught and sent away (uncle who was still a minor) - baptized
    • 2 more uncles also minors - never disclosed
    • step-father - caught in the act with my aunt (a minor and baptized) Elders were called in and she was sent to live with another one of her sisters
    • step-father caught in the act abusing me (he was studying and living with my mother but not married to her (a whole other story) - elders called in and I was sent to foster care
    • later he told my mother he abused my little sister - he disappeared before the elders were called in. - police never notified
    are the offenders still out there?

My father and step-father are both dead and finally not able to hurt anyone else. I have no idea about the early abusers but my 3 uncles are still alive

have they been dealt with by the law?

see above

if you were offended did you take it into your own hands and bypass the elders and go to the police?

when I was 12 I really didnt have much power to do any reporting and my mother was more interested in keeping him in the family than protecting children

if not is it too late now?

Just one last thing too, if they didn't get dealt with by the law is it too late to try and get them charged for what they did years ago? I know of one of my mates that was abused and he didn't even know if it got handed over to the police by the elders!!!!

Most places have a statute of limitations - usually 7 years. In cases where the "victim" might not have been able to press charges they have a year from the time they have started therapy or are otherwise capable of taking action.

Different countries/provinces/states will have different laws concerning the statute if limitations

I know a lot of the bastards get away because no elders have the guts to do their bloody job and it sickens me, my best mates family had trouble with a sicko like that and i cant believe the way people knew but it didn't worry them what he did, i mean like families and mothers would talk to him, (im pretty sure they knew what happened).

Depending on when the abuse happened people would have reacted very differently. My abuses occurred in the 50s and 60s. No one really knew what to do about it. People certainly didn't talk about it. The attitude of many was that if they didn't talk about it then it would just go away or the victim would forget. It was common for mothers to say they didn't want their child to have to go to court and testify against her abuser

It wasn't until the very late 70s and early 80s that people began to research the problem and discuss how to deal with it. So depending on where you live, the laws and the access to information how it got dealt with or not could vary widely

One of the best ways to find out what the laws are in your area is to check the front of your phone book for the sexual assault centre. They can provide the legal info for your area

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    did it get dealt with at all?

I was raped by my grandfather, father, mother, and at least one of their friends. This was all before the age of 6. There may be more but I don't remember; things are hazy enough at that age. I told my grandmother about it. She slapped me and told me never to repeat it again. I have a memory of my mother cleaning me up after one of my father's assaults and her slapping my backside and telling me to "act like a man."

But to answer your question, it was dealt with but not by the law and as you can see, not very kindly either.

are the offenders still out there ?

My mother died of cancer in 1989; she died in good standing and the elder giving the funeral talk deliberately left my name out (he thought I was "unworthy" of being mentioned). My grandfather died from Alzheimer's somewhere in the mid-1990s. Their friend died from cancer just a couple of years ago.

My father is still a ministerial servant. He remarried after my mother died and now has 2 step-sons. I've never met them, nor my step-mother. Nor do I want to.

have they been dealt with by the law?

No. The statute of limitations in America is generally 10 years (varies from state to state) and since my abuse occurred in the early to mid-1960s, they got away with it and are free from any prosecution.

i was just wondering because sooo many of them get away, if you were offended did you take it into your own hands and bypass the elders and go to the police? if not is it too late now?

By the time I confronted my parents, I was 26 and there was no legal remedy. The elders of course threw up their hands and said there was nothing they could do since I did not have 2 eyewitnesses. When I produced my grandmother and an aunt, they rejected anything those two women had to say since they were "worldly and you know how worldly people lie".

At some point, you realize you have to let it go and move on with your life. You have to let go of all that anger, bitterness, shame, terror and ugly feelings as they are like poison and will literally kill you if not dealt with. Abuse always leaves scars and it is these scars, the ones that no one ever sees that are the worst.

What happened was hideous, and while it's part of who I am, it doesn't define me. It was something that was done to me. My recovery is what I did for me.

Chris

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Big Tex,

All I can do is shake my head at your families treatment of you.

At some point, you realize you have to let it go and move on with your life. You have to let go of all that anger, bitterness, shame, terror and ugly feelings as they are like poison and will literally kill you if not dealt with. Abuse always leaves scars and it is these scars, the ones that no one ever sees that are the worst.

What happened was hideous, and while it's part of who I am, it doesn't define me. It was something that was done to me. My recovery is what I did for me.

• codeblue
    codeblue

(((Big Tex))) I am so sorry..............

When I read about you and others and the sorry elders that didn't do a thing but tell the victim to get it right..........it just reinforces my decision to have nothing to do with this religion.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    All I can do is shake my head at your families treatment of you

Me too. And yet my father is held up as the paragon of virtue. I've never been DF'd or disciplined in any way and yet I'm villified.

codeblue is right. Their actions show what an insanely evil religion this is.

Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit