Would you bail your JW family out of a financial bind?

by unbeliever 35 Replies latest jw friends

• becca1
    becca1

Help mom if it is not a hardship on you but seek legal counsel and set things in place so that this does not happen again. Be a good daughter but don't be taken advantage of. Your mom's husband is the head of her household and therefore the responsibility rests on his shoulders. Other than loosing the house, what else could happen? What is the worst possible scenario? Could they sell the house and buy a smaller one, or rent? Look at all the options before you do anything.

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

The worst thing that could happen is that she could could lose the house and end up renting some dump. The only reason she has the house in the first place is that she got it in a divorce settlement from my dad. She could sell the house but the market is not as happening as it use to be. It could take a while. By the time it was sold she would have already lost it. We thought about taking over the payments until it could be sold but the house has semintal value to us. We will get the house in our names. That way they can't take out a loan against it ever again and mom will always have a place to live.

• snarf
    snarf

Wow, what a crappy situation. I hope all works out to the benefit of you, your brother and your mother. Sounds like you and your brother have the smarts of the family. Just make sure EVERYTHING is in writing, signed and notarized before handing over any money for the payment of the irresponsible stepfather's debt. Glad to hear you have a lawyer on the case. At least the good thing is by you and your brother getting the house in your names (if it turns out that way), you won't have to worry about YOUR memories going to unappreciative stepchildren. Hope it all turns out in your favor...goodluck.

• sspo
    sspo

Don't forget to remind your step dad to quit knocking on doors and get a real job, 1 tim. 5:8, to take care of his household and not waste time preaching when he has to pay off his debts.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

This can help you when telling him how he has to work more and not pioneer. It is his duty, the article discusses bankruptcy, but still applies:

w94 9/15 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***

....Is it Scripturally proper for a Christian to file for bankruptcy?

We should be aware, though, of the other side of the matter. A Christian might be in debt because he simply did not use self-control in what or how much he spent or because he did not use reasonable foresight in his business decisions. Should he just be casual about the debt and quickly seek relief through bankruptcy, thus hurting others because of his poor judgment?The Bible does not endorse such fiscal irresponsibility. It urges the servant of God to let his yes mean yes. (Matthew 5:37) Recall, too, Jesus’ comments about counting the cost before starting to build a tower. (Luke 14:28-30) In line with that, a Christian should thoughtfully consider possible undesirable outcomes before he takes on a financial debt. Once he does assume a debt, he ought to sense his responsibility to repay individuals or companies that he owes money to. If many others perceived a Christian as irresponsible or untrustworthy, he might have sullied the good reputation that he had striven for and thus no longer have a fine testimony from outsiders.—1 Timothy 3:2, 7.

Recall what Psalm 15:4 tells us about the sort of person Jehovah welcomes. We read: "He [the one God approves] has sworn to what is bad for himself, and yet he does not alter." Yes, God expects Christians to treat their creditors as they would want to be treated.—Matthew 7:12.

In summary, then, the Bible does not rule out the possibility that in an extreme situation, a Christian may avail himself of the protection offered by Caesar’s bankruptcy laws. However, Christians should be exceptional as to honesty and reliability. Thus, they should be exemplary in their serious desire to meet their financial obligations.

• oldflame
  • Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings underbeliever,

It's sad when something that took a lifetime to earn, and one can finally say "We own it", gets squandered away to someone who really had nothing to do with earning it. Your "elder" stepfather should be ashamed of himself. (but if he's an "elder" he probably won't be.)

I'd make sure that if you bail out mom that you and your brother are the ones who'll end up with the property hands down!

Dismembered

• Gill
    Gill

You should only do that if you REALLY can afford to.

Consequences....consequences.....consequences are the best education, even at your parent's age!

You can make sure your mother never goes without a roof, clothes, food and the little luxuries BUT you should not mess up your own life bailing out someone foolish enough to make such an enormous mess!

Good Luck whatever you decide!

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

I loaned my JW neice a substantial sum to help cover some debts, she swore she would repay "with interest", sadly she broke her promise and defaulted, with no explanation.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I think getting the house in your name is a great idea, that way they wont be able to donate it to the society either.

I also think having a sit down with that dead beat step dad of yours with the article posted above would be great. You need to feel heard in this, especially as you are doing so much to help them out. He needs to know what your feelings are.

Best of luck. I hope this doesnt cripple you financially, or you will feel resentful about it for the rest of your life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit