Would you bail your JW family out of a financial bind?

by unbeliever 35 Replies latest jw friends

• fokyc
    fokyc

I did bail my son (a dub) out, twice, but never again.

fokyc

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    We will share joint legal custody, and as long as he resides in Nevada he will have 50% placement should we breakup. I am so relieved all that is out of the way now.

You should get second and third opinions on that one. Almost everyone I've known with joint custody regretted doing this. When someone has joint legal custody with you, they can go and pick the child up at day care or school and there is not a thing you can do about it. They can also throw a wrench into the gears of decisions you make about school, summer camp, religion, etc. It's really better to have legal custody provided to one parent with the other having visitation rights & paying child support.

There is more peace of mind and literal peace for everyone, especially the child if the parents aren't constantly battling over legal decisions. As the baby's mother and most of the time care giver, you shouldn't have the father coming behind you taking your child out of camp or school, etc. Since there will be an international aspect to this arrangement, you really should get other opinions and be sure before you agree to have joint custody.

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

FHN,

Joint custody is presumed to be in the best interest of the child in the county where I live. He would get it even if I contested it. The burden would be on me to prove why joint custody would not be in our sons best interest. I have no reason. I want him to help me raise this child. He is moving his life to be in another country so he can be there for our son. He has as much say when it comes to raising our son as I do. If there comes a time when we no longer get along then that is what mediation and the courts are for.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

In a word, Absolutely!

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

I just wanted to post an update. I spoke to my brother today and he has been given the go ahead by our bank and his lawyer to refinance the house. Before we sign on the dotted line he told mom he needed to know what she was going to do with her good for nothing step children and husband. When she did not answer he told her he wanted them (stepfather and stepchildren) out of "his" house by the end of the month. Mom called me all in a panic that she can't throw her husband out. I got my brother to back off on that. I don't think its our place to put pressure on her to get a divorce now that I have calmed down and had time to think about it. He told me that he wants to know if I will back him up in the future and was mad I did not tell mom to get a divorce. I am all for throwing the step siblings out though. Mom said she would do that. I told her when they are gone we will refinance. We'll see what happens.

• free2beme
    free2beme

I make it a practice to not loan anyone money. Ruins relationships, both family and friends.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit