Religions that don't go to war

by ThomasCovenant 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• under_believer
    under_believer

Even if you want to look at refusal to go to war as a sign of the true religion (in my opinion it's easier to go that route than to talk them out of the whole idea) there are many other religions that require conscientious objection. Witnesses are NOT the only ones. Here is a partial list:

• Historic Peace Churches (Church of the Brethren, Mennonites, Society of Friends [Quakers])
    • Jehovah's Witnesses, of course
    • Many Dharmic religions and sects. This group includes Hindus, Buddhists, Jainists, and Sikhs. There are many sects that fit into those religions that are pacifist
    • Many other minor sects all over the world

When I pointed these facts out to my mother, she said "Well, that may be true, but only Witnesses refuse to even take part in alternative service!" Chuckling, I told her to go look at the May 1, 1996 Watchtower article "Paying Back Caesar's Things to Caesar" which laid out the new light on alternative service--i.e. that it was okay now. I told her that any Witnesses who went to jail for refusing alternative service had suffered needlessly for a false religious teaching.

And of course I was right--she couldn't argue that one. Yay for being prepared and researching in advance. The Witnesses had some things right. Regular study of the subjects that interest you is one of them.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    Even if you want to look at refusal to go to war as a sign of the true religion (in my opinion it's easier to go that route than to talk them out of the whole idea)

I've done this before and have found a major flaw with this approach. The point JWs want to get across is not just the simple fact that they are the only ones doing one specific thing, but instead they are the only ones doing a wide range of specific things.

To tell a JW about a handful of other religious groups that don't go to war puts more power into their hands. They then can start going one by one through the groups that you mention and ask questions like 'But does that group believe the Trinity?, How about hellfire?' The JW can never be satisfied with the answer that another group out there does what it claims they alone do. They must then pick those religions apart to prove that even though they may have ONE part of the truth, they don't have it all.

Since their thinking revolves around the Body of Christ being a specific religious institution I see this approach as frustrating (I've done it before). All they keep asking is 'show me another organization that is just like this one but better'. Of course you never will be able to provide that, who else is crazier than JWs?!?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Tom

He said while he may have questions about the whole god issue he doesn't know of any other religion that refuses to kill their fellow believer if politicians say you must.

I will bet you that the WT has killed more JWs than all the men lost in the gulf war, with the blood ban and the vaccine ban!

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Also, don't forget the Amish, who recently were in the news a lot.

• Gerard
    Gerard

Atheists are people who have no invisible means of support.

Yet they too go to war.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Check out this article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_churches

Historic peace churches are Mennonites, Bretheren and Quakers. Also included are Amish, Shakers, some Pentecostals, AnaBaptist and the list goes on.

Seventh-day Adventists are similar to how the JWs were in world war one, having a far more constructive attitude than JWs now.

I believe that small religions are pacifists, but as they get to be a large portion of the population they are forced to change. For instance, if Indonesia invaded Australia, JWs would not need to fight as the government provides an army to protect them. But imagine if Australia was solely made up of JWs. They would be forced to form an army, they would not stand back and let their country be taken over, their women raped and a goverment formed that attempts to convert them to Islam. JWs can only be pacifists because their numbers are irrelevant to the size of the population.

• My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW
    My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW

Christadelphians conscientously objected during the American Civil War. In fact a whole lot of their beliefs which preceded Russell by half a century look familiar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christadelphians

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I think that one thing that the JWs miss in the arguement about 'religions going to war' is that in our country we are not going to war as Catholics or Methodists, Atheist or Muslims. I am a US citizen, and if we go to war it is against a nation or army. I am not warring against anyone because of their beliefs. We go to war because of actions. Trying to personalize it with the 'cathoics killing catholics' arguement is disingenuous. The people killing in a war are killing a national enemy, and in war, people die-even ones that are personally good people-if they are doing what their national leaders require. If people go to war as a bunch of Catholics and say they are just going to kill Jews or Baptists-would that be a BETTER kind of war? Actually, in JWdom, it would be, as they think it is their religion against all the rest-and God will fight their war for them. . .unless of course, theocratic warfare is necessary, and the catholics, jews or baptists REALLY deserve it.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Luke 3:12-14 Tax collectors also came to be baptized, and they asked him, “Teacher, what should we do?” He told them, “Don’t collect any more than what you have been authorized.” Some soldiers also questioned him: “What should we do?” He said to them, “Don’t take money from anyone by force or false accusation; be satisfied with your wages.”

Nope, don't see anything here about resigning their commissions or deserting.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Baha'is are counciled to apply for "non-combatant status" if drafted, but must serve in whatever capacity directed by their government.

carmel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit