Could anyone tell me how exactly Jehovah chose the WT society in 1919?

by Qcmbr 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

This teaching is so unique and singular to the JWS and fascinates me greatly but I have yet to get any JW answer how this choosing actually happened and instead I'm left with the same feeling of confusion that I get when I ask how someone would know they were anointed. How did this process of selecting a correct church occur, how did they know it would happen in 1919 if they weren't pre-selected already, how did they know it was going to happen (bit rough on all the other churches who clearly didn't get a chance to spruce themselves up for 1919) and once the votes were cast and Jehovah made up his mind how did he inform the contestants of the results? Do the JWs claim any kind of divine affirmation of their selection at all? Ta for any help - I want to go to my JW friend with some better prep on this topic.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

A great resource for this issue is Captives of a Concept, I believe the author is Don Cameron.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Q,

This is my non-jw husband's question in a round about way, and no one has been able to answer it, Including a long time elder that sent a 5 page letter back to him with this question still unanswered. If you could read his response your hair would stand on end.

They can't answer this question....period! They are told this was fact and accept it as so.

r.

• Butters
    Butters

The JW's channel all of their information through Isis. That is what the pyramids and obelisks are for.

• My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW
    My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW

True story. I worked for a huge electronics company in the 1980's in a major US market. We ran a lot of advertisements in the newspapers. So did our competition. During one of our advertising meetings over the competitive Xmas season, we decided it would help if we were voted the number one electonics firm in Chicago. So one of the 5 people in the meeting said, "I vote that ****** company (ours) is the best." Everyone at the meeting raised their hands and voted, laughed and chuckled and agreed We added a trophy and a caption to our next ad that read, "Voted #1 electonics retailer in Chicago".

The same thing happened with the WTS and 1919. Only they said God voted them #1.

• freetosee
    freetosee

COC gives a good explanation, but I have given my copies away so I can’t give you a page.

My memory on the wt teaching is that 1919 was foreshadowed by Jesus baptism (anointing as king) and a few years later going to the temple and running out the money-makers (Temple Inspection). This was prophetic and had a modern-day fulfilment: 1914 Jesus becomes King and 1919 Jesus goes to inspect the spiritual temple to find the only true worshipers Rutherford and his Bible Students.

Actually just another case were the society tells Jehovah and Jesus what to do and when to do it.

fts

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

It was done in secret, late one night after Rutherford finished his second bottle of bootleg whiskey he had a revelation....Jesus appeared to him and told him that because of all the wonderfull things he and his group were doing ie illegaly stealing Russell's company and booting all the dissenters, being a model of Christian behaviour as far as kindness and clean speach go, among all the other nonsense....because of these things Jesus Christ approved them and named them above all his belongings....just kidding, but like you I would love to know!

Why o why, if Jesus named them in 1919 have there been around 42 changes in their beliefs since then? Sooooo......did Jesus's approval mean nothing to these people? if he approved them as they were, then by changing what they were approved for. they are now disapproved sorry, you can't have it both ways....oh, I forgot we are talking about the WTS and their circular reasoning and insanity.

IC

• Arthur
    Arthur

Many of you may remember that the WTC has extrapolated prophecies from the book of Daniel and the book of Revelation which point to the Bible Students as being chosen by Jesus Christ as his faithful steward. The WTC claims that the imprisonment of Rutheford and other officials was prophecied in the book of Daniel, and that it was part of a test and "cleansing" that was to take place.

According to the WTC this "cleansing" caused the Bible Students to shed many of their Babylonish ways and to be found acceptable by Jesus. The problem is; that at the time of this "selection", the Bible Students were still celebrating Christmas, using the cross, were using pagan Egyptian and Masonic symbols on their books, and were teaching that Jesus had returned in 1874. None the less, Jesus still selected them as his "Faithful Slave".

The "prophecies" in Daniel and Revelation of this "historic occurance" is a good example of creative number crunching, and apocalyptic speculating. Any number of us who had the drive and resources to start our own church could use various verses in Revelation and Daniel to apply to ourselves and our churches message. And the funny part of it is; if we had enough charisma; we would surely gain a faithful following.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

It has to be true, cause I read it in the WATCHTOWER magazine!

Outaservice (who deals only with the facts!)

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Thanks for your replies. To me this is such a basic puzzler that is more significant than 607/1914/1975/blood/shunning etc.. It wasn't the miracles that made Moses but the burning bush, Paul didn't select himself as a missionary and so on. This seems a similar concept to Heb 5:4 (no man taketh this honour unto themselves)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit