celebrating christmas

by awol 25 Replies latest jw friends

• awol
    awol

I left the dubs about 10 yrs ago.... but didn't celebrate xmas until about 7yrs ago. Even then I didn't get a tree... just kept it simple.

Do it ALL now! love it.

Even if it's NOT christs birthday..... who cares????? It's a GREAT day.

When I grew up, we were made to go on field service on 25th!!!! NO getting out of it!

Well, I've got my family coming for the first time this year. My sis and her b/friend and kids, my niece, my fallen away mum and my on the fence dad!!!! -- now my dad too..... cos thats amazing! I just said he can leave out singing carols! but too it's his birthday that day!!!! wooooohooo he is gonna get pressies - give him a massive drink, as he drinks like a fish! mmm.

And of course, like I said in another thread, I'm gonna make a paper mache star out of my tract for the top of the xmas tree!!!

How about you lot.... do you enjoy the day now?

• Perry
    Perry

Coming from the stark emotional wasteland prevalent in JW families has especially made me appreciate this holidays' benefits.

• Dansk
    Dansk

LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!

Ian

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I am really looking forward to Christmas this year. I kind fo celebrated last year, thanks to Trev, but my heart wasn't totally in it, as I'd only been out of the org for a couple of months, and was obviously out of practice. I've resolved most of the issues I had with leaving jw land now, so bring on the festive season, I'm ready for it!

• carla
    carla

Another use for mags & books- ha, I was going to ask if any of you remember this but of course none of you brought up jw's would! Anyway, you can make Christmas trees and stars out of magazines by folding the pages a certain way. They can stand alone or go on top of tree. Sorry I don't remember, an old girls scout craft from when I was a kid.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

We have done it for the past two years - mostly for the g-kids.

This year I am really getting into it - I plan on decorating a large conifer that graces my lower yard. Also, my list of former witnesses and others with whom we exchange Xmas cards is growing every year.

Glad to see you family has come around also. Nothing helps heal the Watchtower mentality like playing Xmas songs and sipping rum.

Jeff

• Emma
    Emma

What Ian said!!!!!!

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I've been out of Watchtower Prison for seven years now. The first year I didn't celebrate anything.

The second year I gave a few gifts to immediate family and close friends, but no tree or decorations.

The third year I got hit with the Christmas bug and we got a tree, hubby bought several lights and lighted decorations for the porch, the door, the windows, the eaves of the roof.....and I began to build a lighted Christmas Village that runs across the top of our entertainment center. I built it on a giant piece of styrofoam I had kept from something we bought because it "might come in handy" some day, LOL!

I've picked up little things like skaters and sledders (it's a Dicken's era theme) and more pine trees, animals and horse-drawn buggies and oh, yeah, the Carolers standing in front of the "Village Square" that sing when plugged in! Last year I got some of that artificial "snow" that comes in a jar and you can paste it on with a craft paintbrush, on anything like little buildings or trees for the miniature set-ups like we have.

It's hard to believe this village all began when I bought three houses and a General Store to put up.....and I just LOVE IT ALL from stem to stern! I hate to put it all away when the season is over!

Yanno what?.....JWs miss out on SO much!

Annie

• awol
    awol

I love the whole build up. I HATE the winter cold! I can't cope with being cold... so as I don't get to depressed I start looking forward to christmas NOW - just as it gets bit nippy. Then we have halloween! ..... mmmm gets me by.... bit of celebration.... then fireworks.... bigger build up.... then christmas daughters birthday (amongst others) and then new years eve..... I then can start to look forward to SPRING.... a great favourite!!!! It's not that I start going all religous or pagan blah blah, but don't you think it's great that every body is excited by the same thing at the same time!!! People smile more etc! How can that be bad????

You could wrap up your xmas pressies in some old literature you have in your loft!

• greendawn
    greendawn

Of course the dubs being so neurotic and puritanical have made such a big deal about the historical roots of Christmas but it's the spirit behind Christmas (or any act) that really counts and for Christmas it is remebering the birth of the saviour, who thinks of it as a pagan event except the devious dubs and some other cults like them?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit