Mars bars made with blood

by 5thGeneration 29 Replies latest jw friends

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I remember being asked if I eat black pudding, which contains blood, and being warned about Baby Bio plant food. I can't recall anything "official" about mars bars though, which is as well, since I love them. I don't like black pudding anyway.

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

I seem to remember being told that it was Galaxy chocolate bars that had blood in them. This was most disappointing as they were one of my favourites! Some elder started telling everyone this and it was actually really scary how this was just accepted as fact without question.
    Black pudding is a fairly popular food up here - again this was regarded as a serious culinary taboo. As it was always a 'forbidden fruit' one of the first things I did after the org was to taste one. Fortunately I discovered I hadn't missed much!

FF

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Upstate NY must be a regular rumor mill! I have lived in two other states since becoming a JW and never have I heard as many "blood" rumors as I have living here!

I remember dealing with the talk of blood in Wonder Bread, all Hershey's chocolate bars, and two brands of hot-dogs, Armour and Pilgrim (the Pilgrim brand had a red casing). One sister announced out in service one morning that she had called both hot-dog manufacturers about the blood they used in processing and said "of course they denied this"....

There were other stupid rumors concerning Proctor & Gamble and a few others I can't recall right now....but it was quite ridiculous.....but got our attention at the time!

Annie

• rebel8
    rebel8

Ya got that right, Sunspot. We had 'em all.

Also remember being told not eat hot dogs and cold cuts that contained euthrobate ar euthroblast because 'they were made from blood'.

Oh yeah, and what a happy day that was for me. No more hot dogs and balogna!!!

But seriously......not to defend the jws, but blood really is used in some foods. I checked the label of my favorite Krab (imitation crabmeat made from fish), and sure enough, it has beef plasma as an additive. I saw the same thing on a can of chicken noodle soup--I think Campbells. I can't stomach eating either of those things now.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

I remember the "Proctor and Gamble" rumour. I was at my Mother-in-law's house one day during the height of this rumour. The whole JW family was fervently going through evey product in the house looking for the moon and stars logo on the packaging and throwing everything that had it out. Most stupid thing I'd ever seen in a long time.

• hambeak
    hambeak

I remember years ago another rumor that all duncan hines cake mixes and frosting had lecithin derived from blood and we all had to throw out any duncan hines products. too funny

ps I go to the asian market to buy my vegetables and they actually do sell pig blood by the pound yuck!

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

If they are so concerned about "..abstaining from blood" then why are compoments derived from the so-called primary components are up to the individual's conscience if they want to use them or not? Is it really abstaining if you use a derivative of the product?

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

...reminds me of an experience my daughter had while working as a waitress at Outback during her college years. A sister came in and asked that her steak be cook "very well done" so that it didn't have any "red juice," because she is one of Jehovah's Witnesses and we don't eat blood.

Justitia

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Should Martian blood be poured on the Earth?

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

My mother thought chicken flavoured crisps had blood in them. All through my childhood I never ate chicken crisps. I used to crave them, fantasize about eating them. My mother even used to write letters to certain sausage manufacturers that she suspected put blood derived substances in their products. Amazing now looking back, the pharasaical gnat-swallowing & fanaticism.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit