Blood Transfusion Question - Dogs

by Duncan 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Duncan
    Duncan

Dear Everyone,

There was a very interesting item on this morning's BBC Breakfast News programme - to do with blood transfusions for dogs. A new website has been set up, along with an appeal to owners to type and register their pets as potential donors, should the need arise. Just like with humans, apparently, it's all to do with getting the right match.

I guess I'd never really thought about this, but if you can transfuse human blood, the same techniques will work with dogs, it seems.

You can read the report on the bbc.co.uk website.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/breakfast/6056716.stm

This got me thinking. What's the correct Brooklyn-approved, "bible-trained" Witness view of such a thing?

I seem to remember a Questions From Readers item, years ago, which pretty much told dubs not to feed their pets with food containing blood or blood products, because it wouln't be "fitting" or it might "stumble some" or some such nonsense.

But if you ever were to get into a serious discusiion with even the lamest brain-dead witness, surely it wouldn't take too long to demolish that position - it is patently absurd. The animals aren't under any kind of blood law from Jehovah. And there is very little evidence that lions and hyenas or others of God's creatures out on the plains of Africa go to the trouble of properly "pouring out on the ground" the life blood of the zebras and antelopes they consume every day.

Surely most witnesses would have to - however reluctantly - admit that animals break no divine law by either consuming, or being transfused with, blood.

Which led me to thinking:

It's perfectly possible to imagine a situation where a Witness parent has both a child and a pet, and they both get seriously injured - possibly in the same road accident.

Could the situation ever arise where that faithful Witness, on a point of religious principle, would let his child die, but would save the dog?

Can you think of anything more absurd?

Duncan

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

That would be contrary to all reason or common sense.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I never knew until a few years ago that dogs/cats had blood transfusions. My dog had to have surgery and had a blood transfusion, but we didn't know until after the surgery. I too remember reading that article about checking your pets food.

BB

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I just found out about this today when I took my cat to the vet. I saw a notice on their counter.

• Atlantis
  • whyizit
    whyizit

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a JW friend of mine who works in a vets office. I asked her if she would let one of her children die, rather than have ablood transfusion. She tried to avoid the question. I mentioned that it didn't make much sense to me, because it is not like you are "eating" the blood. She said it is actually like eating the blood. You know the arguments. Then she resorted to the, "If an alcoholic is to abstain from drinking, would he be obedient if he put it in his veins?" scenario.

I asked: Let's say you are working at the vet clinic. Someone rushes in with a dog that has been shot. Fido has lost a lot of blood. He needs a blood transfusion, or he is not going to make it. You go to get the supplies needed for the transfusion, but the other vet took all the supplies needed on a farm call. You tell the attending vet. Is he going to say, "Okay, then pour the blood into a bowl and we'll get him to drink it!"

I get an odd look, and a pause. Then a response," Of course, not!"

I ask, "Why?"

Response: "Because that's not the same thing. If he eats it, it will go through the digestive system. Not replenish the blood he lost. It's not the same."

My response? "Oh."

Silence. The subject got changed real fast after that.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Great find Atlantis. BB lucky you werent d/f for it.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

TOTALLY awesome conversation and point made, WhyIzIt. WhyIzIt, indeed. hahahaha.

• blondie
    blondie

So it looks like a JW would be da'ing themselves if they allowed a pet to have a blood transfusion.

Blondie

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

jwfacts:

Thanks old friend!

alt

Cheers! Atlantis-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit