Question for ex-JWs who are Christians

by whyizit 38 Replies latest jw friends

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    I noticed that many who post here have kind of thrown the "baby out with the bathwater", when it comes to the Bible and God.... I know that there are many former JWs who love God and have embraced Christianity.

This self righteous attitude that only Christians own God is nauseating.

What has no beginning and no end can not be owned or shrunk to fit into a dogma. If you think you have some special ownership which makes you special, you have done nothing but engrave a tiny mental image and placed it on a nonexistent throne within your feeble imagination.

It's one thing to cherish and relish certain beliefs; it's quite another to fool yourself into thinking your beliefs have the power to shrink and circumscribe God.

j

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

This self righteous attitude that only Christians own God is nauseating.

What has no beginning and no end can not be owned or shrunk to fit into a dogma. If you think you have some special ownership which makes you special, you have done nothing but engrave a tiny mental image and placed it on a nonexistent throne within your feeble imagination.

It's one thing to cherish and relish certain beliefs; it's quite another to fool yourself into thinking your beliefs have the power to shrink and circumscribe God.

WHERE is this coming from? WOW! I find this amazing.

Even if Whyisit had been referring to Scientology or Raelians....I would not have read this attitude into her posts!

I have read and re-read what was said.....and still get the feeling I missed something that must have been hidden.

Stick a fork in me....I'm so done with this topic.

Annie

• parakeet
    parakeet

sunspot: "I don't mean this to sound snotty....just offering why I feel this way. But that's just me. I understand why you feel the way you do, and why. We seem to see it a bit differently, that's all.

hugs to Parakeet,

Annie"

Hugs to you, too, (((Annie))). I hope you feel well enough to attend PA convention you've been looking forward to.

parakeet

• daystar
    daystar
    I would respect the wishes of the original poster and not butt in with my personal opinion.

I can appreciate your opinion. But I hearily disagree. If the original poster hadn't opened with a rather snide comment just begging for commentary, I probably would have ignored the thread. You can't poke a stick at a pit bull and then expect it to play nice, proclaiming "What did I doooooo????"

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Stick a fork in me....I'm so done with this topic.

Okay...

so maybe I shoulda said I was done arguing...or something like that.

Hugs to you, too, (((Annie))). I hope you feel well enough to attend PA convention you've been looking forward to.

Thanks so much, Parakeet.....that was nice and meant a lot to me.

You can't poke a stick at a pit bull and then expect it to play nice, proclaiming "What did I doooooo????"

Daystar:

I'll have to remember to keep a good supply of large dog biscuits handy......

hugs,

Annie

• whyizit
    whyizit

Sunspot:

More is being read into the "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" than what I actually meant.

Things are being read into my post that I did not intend. My assumption is that most who are here are former JWs, who at one time loved God. The same God I love, but that was misrepresented by the WTS. Many, (not all, not most) seem to have decided that there is no God, or that Christianity is a lie.

If that is insulting or slanerous to anyone, I'm genuinely sorry! I didn't mean it that way. But I do hope others who have left the WTS and went on to become Christians will continue posting their experiences. It is a very important topic to me and I would gain a lot from the input.

It may help others as well.

• daystar
    daystar
    I'll have to remember to keep a good supply of large dog biscuits handy......

ROFL!! Woof!

whyzit, I'm sorry to have been part of the cause of misdirecting your thread. I think you have certainly valid questions. For my part, I simply intended to comment upon the first part and then to explain why one may not have remained Christian thereafter. From what I can tell, most of the ones I've seen post as having moved away from Christianity as a whole did so after a fairly thorough research, both secularly and of the heart, into the subject.

• whyizit
    whyizit

Daystar:

Thank you! I sure didn't mean to offend you, and I am sorry if I did!

I'll try to pick my words and phrases a little more carefully, but I really didn't think any one would read so much into what I said!

For the record:

I am appreciative of ALL who post on this subject. If they left the WTS and did not become a Christian, and they want to tell how that came about, that is great! There is something to learn from those experiences as well.

Personally, I wanted to hear how people were able to become Christians when they moved on from the WTS. It interests me.

I

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Whyizit,

I understood from the beginning you meant no harm or understood what your words were conveying.

Remember the story of how Jesus got angry at the people selling little trinkets in the temple. Well, sometimes, not always, but sometimes when I see a Christian attempting to convey (purposely or unconsciously) that belief in their tiny little deity is the only thing meaningful when it comes to GOD (the ultimate Significance) I start pushing over tables too.

Hope I didn't break any of your stuff.

j

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit